Kicked out, told to come back, then kicked out again! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Kicked out, told to come back, then kicked out again!

This IMO is ridiculous. The store kicked them out because the little girl had a service dog. THEN they were given a $25 gift card, received an apology from higher up and told they would be welcome back at the store. When they went back, they were kicked out again! I sincerely hope things change and the person in charge at that store gets in severe trouble. I wouldnt blame the family for never going back to the store though.

Edmonton store bars girl's service dog twice - Edmonton - CBC News

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 11:22 AM
Crowned Member

It will be intereing to find out why the store seems to have aproblem with thier parent company policy. Sounds like a manager needs a new job.

Kathy

URO3,UCD Aleshanee Windridge "Kayos" CD,TDX,RE,CGC,HIC,TC
PTE,AG2,AN,URO3,UCD Xtra!Xtra! V TeMar "Havoc" CDX,GN,RE,CGC,HIC,TC,BH
UACH,URO1 Tidmores Rising Star Lydia "Mayhem" CD,BN,AX,OAJ,NF,RE,HT,TC,CGC,

Bridge
Lucky, Wolf, Max
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 11:47 AM
Master Member

Quote:
"He's very grounding and he gives her opportunity to participate in community and school and home in a way that would otherwise be challenging for her," she said.

Without Levi, Emily could get lost or leave the store with a stranger, she said.

"It's really the difference of life and death."
If it was that bad, why entrust that role to such a small dog? I know, small dogs have their strengths as well BUT wouldn't it be wiser to get a large breed dog for protection as well as guidance? Because from the mother's statements, it sounds like she's not around her daughter all the time or doesn't feel the need to pay close attention.

Anyways, companies need to realize that service dogs are Service Dogs. Every company has to allow the dog to do it's duty unless it's hazardous to the dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSDkid View Post
If it was that bad, why entrust that role to such a small dog? I know, small dogs have their strengths as well BUT wouldn't it be wiser to get a large breed dog for protection as well as guidance? Because from the mother's statements, it sounds like she's not around her daughter all the time or doesn't feel the need to pay close attention.

Anyways, companies need to realize that service dogs are Service Dogs. Every company has to allow the dog to do it's duty unless it's hazardous to the dog.
I may have missed something but that seems to be a fairly large dog...Maybe a labradoodle or an italian spinone? Both fairly good sized dogs.

I hope the store educates their employees this time. The first time it happened, not ok but perhaps an honest mistake. For it to happen a second time is unacceptable.

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Elite Member

Never mind, I just read something else that said it was a small dog, but that same place that said that showed a video of the dog walking with the girl and it looks large to me.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/1...n_1033318.html

1:08 is where it briefly shows the dog and girl walking.

~Sasha~{GSD}~ 3ish~Gotcha day January, 29, 2011
~Monte~{Golden Retriever}~ (RIP)~ 1997-2009

Last edited by NewbieShepherdGirl; 10-27-2011 at 12:00 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 02:07 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Without Levi, Emily could get lost or leave the store with a stranger, she said.

If it was that bad, why entrust that role to such a small dog? I know, small dogs have their strengths as well BUT wouldn't it be wiser to get a large breed dog for protection as well as guidance?
I was under the impression that protective functions were considered unacceptable for service dogs. I think the dog is to alert the girl rather than to ward off strangers.

Based on what I know about autism I would assume the dog would guide the girl away from strangers so she would know that they are not her family.

I would like to be as good as my dogs think I am.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilrdg View Post
I was under the impression that protective functions were considered unacceptable for service dogs. I think the dog is to alert the girl rather than to ward off strangers.

Based on what I know about autism I would assume the dog would guide the girl away from strangers so she would know that they are not her family.

this is my impression as well.

As for the size of the dog, she's a little girl. Would you really expect her to be able to physically handle a large breed dog, no matter how well trained the dog is? We all know our dogs can behave like angels with training and but there is always that possibility that even the best trained dog can have a "SQUIRREL!!!!" moment. Her being a little girl, I wouldnt expect her to handle a larger dog. To me the dog looks to be a medium sized dog. I'll have to go back and look again but he looks to me to be about the size of a border collie.

"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-27-2011, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayos and Havoc View Post
It will be intereing to find out why the store seems to have aproblem with thier parent company policy. Sounds like a manager needs a new job.

agree with you there!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 03:47 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieShepherdGirl View Post
Never mind, I just read something else that said it was a small dog, but that same place that said that showed a video of the dog walking with the girl and it looks large to me.

Emily Ainsworth, 9-Year-Old Girl With Autism, And Service Dog Denied Store Entrance Twice

1:08 is where it briefly shows the dog and girl walking.
You're right! I only looked at the main photo from the original referenced article and it looked like a smaller breed but the video definitely shows a decent sized dog.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-28-2011, 08:00 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
If its life or death it shouldn't be entrusted to a dog period...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page