Seizure Alert Dogs for Life Inc. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 05:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Seizure Alert Dogs for Life Inc.

Mod Action: Merged various threads on the same topic.
__________________________________________________ ___
__________________________________________________ ___

Original title of first thread: Batavia family not receiving dog for ill daughter after all posted by AbbyK9
------------------------------------------------------------------
This whole case is just odd.

Batavia family not receiving dog for ill daughter after all - The Daily News Online: News

Quote:
Jenn Boyki-Huston's dream of getting a dog for her ill daughter has become a legal battle, she and Jon Sabin say. Sabin, owner of Seizure Alert Dogs for Life, had said that Boyki-Huston would get a trained German shepherd to help alert the family when preschooler Zaylie was having a seizure. In order to get the dog, the family had to raise a minimum of $2,500 and abide by the company’s contract.

At some point this summer that plan went awry, Sabin said. With the help of an attorney and private investigator, he has learned some things that have caused him to change his mind about donating the dog. Kevin Huston, Jenn’s husband, was charged with petit larceny in June. His case has been adjourned until the end of this month.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 02-05-2012 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Mod Action: Merging various threads on same topic.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 07:31 AM
Master Member

I feel sorry for that child. They are in an area where there are very few good jobs and limited social services for the underemployed and special needs people.

I would like to be as good as my dogs think I am.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Elite Member

THe "Social Security" THey are talking about is SSI which is a Maximum....A MAXIMUM...of $674 a month. Everyone who thinks that can help cover the kids bills plus decent dog food and vet care for the canine, raise your hand. It's just another case of someone trying to get something they think they are 'entitled' to.

Jelpy

My furs are not in storage, nor draped across the bed. They're peering out the kennel door just waiting to be fed.
(Anonymous)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:37 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jelpy View Post
THe "Social Security" THey are talking about is SSI which is a Maximum....A MAXIMUM...of $674 a month. Everyone who thinks that can help cover the kids bills plus decent dog food and vet care for the canine, raise your hand. It's just another case of someone trying to get something they think they are 'entitled' to.

Jelpy
I have to agree, ONE person working at autozone for two months isn't what I would call steady income, I've worked somewhere for two months and left my job before. It's sad for the child but I think this part right here is WRONG....

Quote:
An anonymous benefactor donated $2,500 and Byron Fire Department’s Ladies Auxiliary gave $100 to the cause.

Meanwhile, Boyki-Huston believes that she is entitled to the money and wants to use it for another dog if Sabin doesn’t come through.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:41 AM

Remember the little boy Andrew from VA and his German Shepherd Alaya? She is the one that the first week of school in which she was allowed to attend came into heat. The organization did not want to remove her from a possible future breeding.

This is the same trainer and organization that Alaya came from - Jon Sabin the owner and trainer of Seizure Alert Dogs for Life.

*** Came back to add that when a donation is given to a non-profit in many cases they do not have to legally give the money back. This is why when donating a larger sum you need to know the policy of the organization and how they will handle the money if conditions change. This has come up quite a few times with individuals fundraising for a SD and something happens that the dog/organization does not work out for them.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 09-20-2011 at 10:50 AM.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:42 AM
Knighted Member

I don't remember hearing about that, do you have a link?
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I don't remember hearing about that, do you have a link?
Sure -- https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...hool-week.html

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:01 AM
Knighted Member

Dang, thanks for that link!!!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 11:36 AM
Crowned Member

Apparently it's a crime to be poor?

The article is very poorly written but the organization certainly doesn't come out smelling like roses...

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 PM
Crowned Member

Perhaps there is some place else to go for service dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page