Child's service dog found shot, killed in driveway - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 04:45 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Child's service dog found shot, killed in driveway

Child's service dog found shot, killed in driveway - WNEM TV 5

Quote:
A reward is being offered after a service dog was found shot to death outside her home.

Brooke Wilbanks had returned home from a funeral and let her service dog, Sensi, outside for a bathroom break.

When Sensi didn't return after about 30 minutes, her family went outside, and found the animal dead in the driveway from a gunshot to the head. The incident occurred on N. Jefferson Road, in Midland County's Mills Township.

I don't know where to start with this one. I think it's an awful and terrible thing that happened here, but that it could have been very easily avoided had someone been outside with the dog. Apparently, they just opened the door and let the dog out ... into an unfenced (from what I can tell) yard.

On a side note, the article talks about the dog being a "service dog" but then says further down that the dog was the child's "emotional support animal" (which is not a Service Dog). They also talk about the tag the dog was wearing, which is shown in some of the images, and is one of the ones you can order from here --> Service Dog ID - Custom Service Dog Badges

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 04:57 PM
Crowned Member

The owners will not take responsibility for this. I cannot feel very sorry for them. They have a dog that looks like a pit bull dog. It does not matter if it is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or a German Shepherd Dog, people are afraid of these dogs.

People, if you have a German Shepherd, an Akita, a bully breed -- any variety, a Rotteweiler, don't just open the front door and let them out for half an hour or an hour. Use your brains. Go outside with the dog. Keep them safe.

If a dog is rushing toward someone, I can guarantee they are not looking for tags on the collar.

Stupid owners. Now their kid doesn't have their dog. And they aren't going to learn anything from this, because they are 100% blaming the shooter.

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
The owners will not take responsibility for this. I cannot feel very sorry for them. They have a dog that looks like a pit bull dog. It does not matter if it is a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or a German Shepherd Dog, people are afraid of these dogs.

People, if you have a German Shepherd, an Akita, a bully breed -- any variety, a Rotteweiler, don't just open the front door and let them out for half an hour or an hour. Use your brains. Go outside with the dog. Keep them safe.

If a dog is rushing toward someone, I can guarantee they are not looking for tags on the collar.

Stupid owners. Now their kid doesn't have their dog. And they aren't going to learn anything from this, because they are 100% blaming the shooter.
I was thinking, if it's a SD, why in the heck did they let the dog roam free in the front yard for half an hour??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 06:36 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

If you read the comments the grandmother said the dog was behind a locked gate. Not sure there is enough info in the story to know the whole thing

Nancy

-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 06:43 PM
Crowned Member

That would make things different. What I saw was a country type driveway with trees around, no fence. But could be...

Odie, Joy-Joy
Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 06:51 PM
Master Member

This was down in the comment section:

10 hours ago+9
Share | Flag
I am the owner of the property that this incident occured on and grandmother to the child that sensi belonged to. Some people are totally missing the point here, this has nothing to do with her BREED! She was a Basset hound/pit bull and was a gentle, obedient dog. When this occured she was well within the border of our 40 acre fenced in compound. Our front yard is large and wooded and she was found inside the gate! I heard two rounds of gunshots and by the time the police arrived she was already dead. Our family was gathered there grieving the loss of my mother in law whose funeral was the next day. We were all outside in the hot tub and the shots were fired directly toward our house. We thank God none of us were injured. Someone was out driving around with a loaded gun, this is about public safety, not Pit Bulls!!!! Everyone BEWARE!!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 PM

Well I have to say that if the dog was within their property then it doesn't matter if the dog was loose. Someone should have not shot it unless the dog was a threat and was trying to bite them. It means to me that maybe someone didn't like the family or the dog or tried to enter the yard and the dog reacted to protect the property. Now if the dig was out on the road then that would b another story. I have invisible fence and yes I let my dog loose on my yard. Yes I keep an eye out to make sure she's ok but she likes to b out and so I want to give her that freedom_Especially when I'm vacumming

Danica v Johnson-Haus; DOB 8/06/10
Thunder v Whispering Pines; R.I.P my boy (GSD)-4/93 - 6/07
Bear (Rottweiler) 4/93 - 6/07
Ruskie; (terrier mix) 8/88 - 5/01
Kiska; (Siberian Husky) 5/92 - 12/92
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:
On a side note, the article talks about the dog being a "service dog" but then says further down that the dog was the child's "emotional support animal" (which is not a Service Dog). They also talk about the tag the dog was wearing, which is shown in some of the images, and is one of the ones you can order from here --> Service Dog ID - Custom Service Dog Badges
I've seen that same badge sold elsewhere. You pull up the site and click on the design, add a picture and info (with a basic template) and pay for it. No dealing with a person at all. Last time I checked the cost along with S&H was under $15.

In any case it is very sad whenever someone's beloved pet is shot inside of their own yard.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 08:57 PM
Crowned Member

Why have that much acreage fenced...if you can't allow you dogs to run..?
SD or family pet...it shouldn't matter. That much fenced property should allow an owner to enjoy it and their family companions.....
JMO

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Banned

with an E-Fence i think you need to keep
an extra eye on her. some dogs will run
through an E-Fence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkeeley View Post
I have invisible fence and yes I let my dog loose on my yard.

Yes >>>>I keep an eye out to make sure she's ok<<<<

but she likes to b out and so I want to give her that freedom_Especially when I'm vacumming
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page