Temperment Traits for a Therapy Dog - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:30 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Adolph
Red face Temperment Traits for a Therapy Dog

My husband and I are looking at a litter of 14 puppies. Both parents come from a long line of Schutzhunde 3 Titles. I would like to use the dog in Mental Health Therapy treatment.

I am not sure what personality traits would make a good therapy dog. I know about temperment tests, but what I am wanting are thoughts from breeders who have chosen a puppy for families specific for therapy work, and what traits they felt would work best and why?

We went yesterday and looked at the puppies, will go again this weekend, and will make our finale decision in 3 weeks. The breeder is German, and is not completely understanding my translation.

I can see a large range of personalities in the puppies, but I am not sure which traits would really work best.

Input would be very appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Amy
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:52 PM
Elite Member

What made you decide on a GSD for this job? I'm not trying to be discouraging but IMO GSDs are often not the best choice if Therapy work is your top priority. GSDs bond very strongly to their people but as adults, tend to be quite aloof towards outsiders. They will tolerate petting and the such from friendly strangers but seeking out such interactions is not characteristic of the breed. Good Therapy Dogs tend to be dogs who are more outgoing and friendly by nature. That isn't to say their aren't GSDs out there that don't meet the breed standard temperament wise and would be more well suited to the job but you shouldn't count on getting such a dog when looking at this breed. GSD puppies are often quite friendly to everyone until they mature, at which point they develop the common aloof attitude towards strangers. So it would be really hard to choose a GSD puppy for friendliness, as that is a trait that often changes with age.

I'd suggest looking into breeds that are known for being very friendly, sweet, non-guarding breeds for a Therapy Dog. A lot of the sporting breeds would be well suited for the job, as would Rough or Smooth Collies.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Skype™ to Adolph
Agile Thank You

Hello Agile, The GDS is what my husband grew up with and wants. Thank you for your insight regarding their personality.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 08:06 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileGSD View Post
What made you decide on a GSD for this job? I'm not trying to be discouraging but IMO GSDs are often not the best choice if Therapy work is your top priority.

With all due respect....you must not know very many good GSDs? In my opinion, a GSD of solid nerve, properly socialized and trained can bite the bad guy in the morning and sooth the sick in the afternoon of the same day.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:30 PM

My next dog will be a GSD of course and will also be worked as a Therapy Dog along with other jobs.

Best thing is to go with a breeder who knows their lines and knows their dogs and is one that you trust. Tell them what you need in your dog and then have them pick out a pup for you.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:32 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
Best thing is to go with a breeder who knows their lines and knows their dogs and is one that you trust. Tell them what you need in your dog and then have them pick out a pup for you.
Amen.

post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:39 PM
Elite Member

For the therapy dog folks asking themselves why I would drop my leash to take a photo when both activities would be considered inappropriate in therapy work.....the patient is my brother.

post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.Oliver View Post

With all due respect....you must not know very many good GSDs? In my opinion, a GSD of solid nerve, properly socialized and trained can bite the bad guy in the morning and sooth the sick in the afternoon of the same day.
Good GSDs are not supposed to care about strangers, not supposed to be terribly interactive with them. IMO that isn't an ideal trait for a therapy dog, where the patients tend to want the dog to pay attention to them. Jora passed TDI and Delta tests without an issue but she wouldn't have made a good therapy dog because she wouldn't have been interested in interacting with strangers in any meaningful way. IMO that is a correct GSD temperament. What she was good at was kid-dog safety education - she did tricks and the kids never noticed that she didn't pay attention to them when they were petting her My Collie would have been a perfect Therapy Dog though. He loved everyone and was very sensitive to people's emotions - typical of the breed and perfect for Therapy work.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 09:56 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Quote:
Good GSDs are not supposed to care about strangers, not supposed to be terribly interactive with them.
Ding! Beyond puppy hood (where I would be concerned if the puppy WEREN'T happy, wiggly, and wanting anybody to pet it), the German Shepherd Dog is supposed to be ALOOF. They are not supposed to make indiscriminate friendships.

This is also known as, I agree with AgileGSD.

It's not to say GSDs can't be therapy dogs....they can...they just generally don't have the correct temperament for the breed, or they just tolerate others petting them and talking to them.

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgileGSD View Post
.....wouldn't have been interested in interacting with strangers in any meaningful way.
Your comments on an aloof GSD temperament are accurate and given the only other breed I have ever owned is a Collie, I see your rational as reasonable.....but....meaningful interaction is determined by the patient. With many of the patients Dayna and I visit...aloof is a good thing. The dog accepts all contact, but does not typically initiate. This allows my deaf, dumb, and blind patient to approach on his terms. Even the most subtle bit of eagerness results in him pulling away....he won't engage the Golden because he overwhelms him. When a patient, like my brother with cerebral palsy, has a condition that limits their range of motion...again aloof is a good thing because he can stroke the dog in his clumsy way...on his terms. Although he likes the Golden because he is soft....as would be a Collie....so I'll give ya that.

Last edited by W.Oliver; 09-07-2011 at 10:11 PM. Reason: stroke the dog...not stoke the dog...LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page