New to the site - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

New to the site

Hello all,

I am new here. I am a disabled veteran and was recently suggested that I might benefit from a PTSD / Psychological Service Dog. I have decided on a Shepherd but was wondering what if any difference there is on a Service Dog use between a German Shepherd, King German Shepherd, and a Shiloh Shepherd.

Also is there a website or something to learn how to do Public Access Training if I decide to train the Dog myself.

Thanks

EdwardMH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 09:55 PM
Knighted Member

What I would think between those, would be the size difference. The Shiloh and Kings are significantly larger, I feel if you want a SD, you'll want a starard GSD, easier to maneuver in public, fit under tables at a restaurant, and get on a plane if need be. That is just my opinion though! WELCOME, hope you find a whole plethora of knowledge here!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Crowned Member

The size is the major difference between those breeds. Have you checked into Patriot Paws? A friend of mine trains dogs for them and they place dogs with vets free of charge. They're usually labs but have had other breeds such as gsd, Burmese Mtn Dog. If you don't have physical restrictions I would think that any of the breeds you mentioned would be great. Good luck and thank you for serving our country.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-29-2011, 11:35 PM

Some things to consider on owner training:

Know the Federal and your state's laws -- if you go through a reputable program they will take the time to go over these with you. Owner Trainers have this responsiblity to do themself.
~ Federal Law does not cover SDITs
~ Some states cover owner training and give limited rights, other states do not acknowledge owner training.
~ Some states do not acknowledge PSDs but do other SDs.

If you do not have experience in selecting working candidates/service dog candidates then you really need the help of someone that does. One of the main reasons an owner trained SD does not make it and needs to be washed from training is because it was not a suitable choice. So it is always advisable to let an expert pick the candidate for you.

On the training end:
Training a SD is not the same as training a pet dog.
If someone wants to train their own dog it is best to do so under the guidance of a reputable and experienced SD trainer. Just as with owners, not all trainers can train a SD as their training is more advanced then that of a pet dog.

There are three parts to training a SD:
1) Obedience
2) Public Access
3) Tasks

Owner Trainers should keep very detailed Training Logs.

The average time to train a SD is between 18 and 24 months.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 12:04 AM

You may find these helpful for informational use.

Minimum Standards for Service Dogs. (You can download & print)
http://www.deltasociety.org/Document.Doc?id=373

Public Access Test (PAT) by Assistance Dogs International, Inc.
This test must be given by an approved evaluator.
Public Access Test - Assistance Dogs International

In training, a PSD must meet the same standards as any other type of SD.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 07:56 AM
Master Member

I am not one of the experts in this field but I noticed in your post that you were talking about a PTSD/Psychological dog. There is a large amount if misleading information about the definition of a service dog among health care professionals that do not regularly work with service dogs. An psychological/emotional support dog is not the same as a service dog so be sure to check to see which type of dog you need.

I would like to be as good as my dogs think I am.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:01 AM
Crowned Member

I heard that the Shiloh Shepherd and the King Shepherd are more laid back like couch potatoes. I dont know how true that is so hopefully someone with more experience will be able to give you an idea of their temperment and energy.

Good luck to you and thank you for your service!

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
Some things to consider on owner training:

Know the Federal and your state's laws -- if you go through a reputable program they will take the time to go over these with you. Owner Trainers have this responsiblity to do themself.
~ Federal Law does not cover SDITs
~ Some states cover owner training and give limited rights, other states do not acknowledge owner training.
~ Some states do not acknowledge PSDs but do other SDs.

If you do not have experience in selecting working candidates/service dog candidates then you really need the help of someone that does. One of the main reasons an owner trained SD does not make it and needs to be washed from training is because it was not a suitable choice. So it is always advisable to let an expert pick the candidate for you.

On the training end:
Training a SD is not the same as training a pet dog.
If someone wants to train their own dog it is best to do so under the guidance of a reputable and experienced SD trainer. Just as with owners, not all trainers can train a SD as their training is more advanced then that of a pet dog.

There are three parts to training a SD:
1) Obedience
2) Public Access
3) Tasks

Owner Trainers should keep very detailed Training Logs.

The average time to train a SD is between 18 and 24 months.
One thing I would like to add on training any service dog especially a GSD is that they need to be highly socialized and that doesn't mean just to people but environmental situations. . There are many pieces of the puzzle to a service dog/PSTD. It is not black and white there is a lot of gray matter in between. I have learned that over the last year an a half of puppy raising for a service dog agency. Whatever you chose to do research all your options, find out what different organizations can do for you. The first year of a service dogs life is mainly high socialization which means the dogs is exposed to many different people, situations, environmental and more along with installing basic obedience skills. All dogs mature at a different rate so what 1 dog may be able to do in 12 months it may take another dog 15 months.

A good point was made on emotional support dogs vs PSD dogs.

Everyone is different some people chose to raise and train their own SD while others find it way too stressful to do this on top of everything and that is OK. You have to chose what works best for you.
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-30-2011, 11:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwilrdg View Post
An psychological/emotional support dog is not the same as a service dog so be sure to check to see which type of dog you need.
I suffer from PTSD, MDD, Anxiety Nightmares, Some sleep walking. Have trouble leaving the house with out taking medications but the medications tend to make me lose balance. Would a emotional support dog be better than a Service Dog? if so I will tell my Therapist to change her decision. this is all new to me.

EdwardMH
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-31-2011, 12:17 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Quote:
Would a emotional support dog be better than a Service Dog?
No. In many states, emotional support dogs do not have access rights. A service dog handler has access rights with a service dog that is task trained to mitigate the specific disability of its handler.

Emotional support dogs are not trained to aid their handler in any way.

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page