Passive protection article for SDs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Passive protection article for SDs

Okay this was posted in my autism service dog group I want others thoughts on this article. I kinda makes me uncomfortable. I need more time to sort my emotions here, I'm posting a direct link this time because this is the second article this guy has posted. So he wants it shared anyways. PLEASE someone help me understand. Is this even legal? For some reason reading this makes me anxious

DogWish Passive Protection Family Defense K9 Service Dogs Bob's Blog

Proud Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP)

Autism dogs changing lives and giving individuals with autism freedom and independence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:21 PM
Elite Member

I am far far from being an expert but I would seriously doubt that any dog can be 100% trusted at all times. There is always that animal instinct that can kick in when the right conditions are met. So, I am a bit skeptical when someone claims they can train a dog to be 100% controllable at all times.

L'chaim
Elvi

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
post #3 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 09:28 PM Thread Starter

KSdogowner I agree with you 100 percent! They are dogs first even the best trained service dog make mistakes.

Autism dogs changing lives and giving individuals with autism freedom and independence
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 10:58 PM Thread Starter

I am going to ask him to stop advertising in my group it is frustrating but I am afraid to be confrontational

post #5 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:03 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASDogGeek View Post
I am going to ask him to stop advertising in my group it is frustrating but I am afraid to be confrontational
Well, I wonder what others who actually have expert knowledge with training are thinking about it. Like I said, I just have an opinion for what it's worth....but not based on expertise. So maybe this makes sense to a person who does train dogs?

L'chaim
Elvi

Lexie (Rotti-x), Max (GSD/Husky), Sophie (WGSD)
R.I.P. Ozzy, Sabrie, Kaiser (GSDs), Peaches (Cat)

"Nobody can go back and start a new beginning, but anyone can start today and make a new ending." - Maria Robinson
post #6 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:11 PM

Oh, errr...... um .......

Large claims on both of what he is able to do and his own background.

Link given by OP

Impressive:

"Bob Taylor is a 35 year California State Superior Court K9 Expert,who has handled over 100 Superior Court cases successfully. He also helped create the “Dangerous Dog Laws”,and has trained over 1,000 dangerous dogs by rehabilitating their behaviors,and making them safe and socially acceptable. He also is a multi-national Police and Schutzhund K9 Champion,over 500,000 contestants,and has represented the German Shepherd Dog Club at the World Schutzhund Championships several times,producing some of the highest scoring dogs in the world.

Bob has,over the last 30 years,trained thousands of dogs to protect homes and businesses all over the world,and for several nations in the world. He is presently regarded as superior in this field by the United Kingdom,through his work with Rocam International,one of the World’s leading Military Organizations. As recently as this March,2011,Bob conducted an International Advanced Police Dog Seminar on Parrot Cay Island in the Caribbean,attended by Delta Force Commandos,and was awarded the highest marks possible for his work."

Of course I would be more impressed if I could find any of these claims listed elsewhere other then on his website or blog.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 08-07-2011 at 02:59 AM. Reason: Mention of link
post #7 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:21 PM Thread Starter

Lol yeah what do you make of this article? I was looking forward to your opinion. What is passive protection it really wasn't explained!

post #8 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Crowned Member

This reminds me of those dog trainers websites where they talk and talk about how great their training is but they never tell you what methods/tools they use! It's a lot of words without really saying anything.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #9 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-06-2011, 11:27 PM Thread Starter

Lol yup a member ACTUALY pointed that out she said how the article talked about why you need a service dog with passive protection with out explaining what that means or giving any real examples

post #10 of 58 (permalink) Old 08-07-2011, 01:35 AM

It is pretty vague. Lots of words, very little real content. As far as I can figure out, he's saying that the dogs are not trained to attack on command. They are trained to interfere with anyone who attempts to touch their handler aggressively, and are taught to distinguish between aggressive behavior and other social behaviors that involve touching. I believe that the emphasis is placed on the dog sort of pushing the aggressor away with it's body and by threatening gestures rather than biting (that's why it's passive) - although that doesn't mean they're trained NEVER to bite. Of course, whether they would be as reliable about it as he claims is debatable.

Assuming (for the sake of argument) that he is correct and his dogs are totally reliable, I can understand his reasons for thinking it would be a helpful thing to train a service dog in. He included several stories about disabled kids being beaten by other kids that are really heartbreaking. So I can see how he could see it as useful for them.

Or, take (some of) my disabilities as an example. I have impaired hearing, Asperger's, and something called Face Blindness which keeps me from recognizing people out of context. I have failed to recognize family members when meeting them at the mall. If someone comes up to me in a friendly manner, I am likely to assume that they know me. Because of the AS, I am also likely to overlook subtle signs that a person's intentions are dangerous. And to make matters worse, I may not even hear the beginning of an aggressive act if the person were, say, behind me and went to hurt me. I would be caught completely unaware. Since I'm only 5' tall, that would be bad. Obviously, I don't go out alone unless it's unavoidable - it's just not really safe for me to do so. An SD dog that also was trained in protection could make the world a much safer place for me - and it would also be directly mitigating my disabilities. I would probably be far more comfortable going out alone if I had a dog like that. It wouldn't keep me from being wrong in who I know, but at least if I made a major mistake, I'd have some help at hand.

Not that I would get one, or that I necessarily believe this guy's claims - or even that I think it's a good idea. And I certainly wouldn't trade my SDIT for a different dog, anyway. I'm just trying to point out WHY he might think protection training would be a good idea for some individuals' SDs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page