training protection work for servce dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AutismDogGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 241
training protection work for servce dogs

IS WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


need to vent I am so angry and frustrated. this guy trains service dogs for kids and adults with all sorts of disabilities one specifically being autism. am I the only one who thinks this will end up hurting SDs n the long run? I can imagine t now

autistic kid is at the store with has mom and an old man r someone with a tic disorder or something walks by the kid and has the "wrong posture," or a tic and the dog freaks out because it is thought protection work d interrupted this as a threat..

am i the only one who this really upsets and frustrates???????????????

what can do?

Proud Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP)

Autism dogs changing lives and giving individuals with autism freedom and independence
AutismDogGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Moderator
 
ILGHAUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Central FLorida, east of Gainesville
Posts: 9,025
“The crime deterrent effects of an animal's presence” do not qualify that animal as a service animal and “an animal individually trained to provide aggressive protection, such as an attack dog, is not appropriately considered a service animal.”


This part ... “an animal individually trained to provide aggressive protection, such as an attack dog, is not appropriately considered a service animal.”

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
ILGHAUS is offline  
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:17 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AutismDogGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
“The crime deterrent effects of an animal's presence” do not qualify that animal as a service animal and “an animal individually trained to provide aggressive protection, such as an attack dog, is not appropriately considered a service animal.”


This part ... “an animal individually trained to provide aggressive protection, such as an attack dog, is not appropriately considered a service animal.”

so it is illegal?

please come on facebook chat if you can

Proud Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP)

Autism dogs changing lives and giving individuals with autism freedom and independence
AutismDogGirl is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AutismDogGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 241
so a dog who is train to be a servce dogg ie task to midigate a disability and protection work is not legaly a service dog?

Proud Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP)

Autism dogs changing lives and giving individuals with autism freedom and independence
AutismDogGirl is offline  
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 10:53 PM
Moderator
 
ILGHAUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Central FLorida, east of Gainesville
Posts: 9,025
Can't get into Facebook via this computer ... have to wait till tomorrow.

Meantime.

“an animal individually trained to provide aggressive protection, such as an attack dog, is not appropriately considered a service animal.”

The protection refered to by the Dept. of Justice is that such as a dog trained to keep its handler from wondering into traffic such as when coming out of a seizure and confused. Protection is never meant as to snarl, growl, show teeth, or try to bite someone.

If someone is selling trained attack dogs via their website I would suggest calling the ADA Hotline and ask for guidance on how to report this. By doing so you do not have to become involved where this person knows who reported him.

If you are not comfortable doing this send me a PM and I'll do it for you. I think you may also have my email addy. If not remind me via PM and I'll make sure you have my contact info.

U.S. Department of Justice ADA Infoline

Monday through Friday from 9:30 AM until 5:30 PM (eastern time) except on Thursday when the hours are 12:30 PM until 5:30 PM.

Spanish language service is also available.

For general ADA information, answers to specific technical questions, free ADA materials, or information about filing a complaint, call:
1-800-514-0301 (voice)
1-800-514-0383 (TTY)

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
ILGHAUS is offline  
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
AutismDogGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
Can't get into Facebook via this computer ... have to wait till tomorrow.

Meantime.

“an animal individually trained to provide aggressive protection, such as an attack dog, is not appropriately considered a service animal.”

The protection refered to by the Dept. of Justice is that such as a dog trained to keep its handler from wondering into traffic such as when coming out of a seizure and confused. Protection is never meant as to snarl, growl, show teeth, or try to bite someone.

If someone is selling trained attack dogs via their website I would suggest calling the ADA Hotline and ask for guidance on how to report this. By doing so you do not have to become involved where this person knows who reported him.

If you are not comfortable doing this send me a PM and I'll do it for you. I think you may also have my email addy. If not remind me via PM and I'll make sure you have my contact info.

U.S. Department of Justice ADA Infoline

Monday through Friday from 9:30 AM until 5:30 PM (eastern time) except on Thursday when the hours are 12:30 PM until 5:30 PM.

Spanish language service is also available.

For general ADA information, answers to specific technical questions, free ADA materials, or information about filing a complaint, call:
1-800-514-0301 (voice)
1-800-514-0383 (TTY)
thank you! I sent you a message on here with a link to the thing that inspired this

Proud Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP)

Autism dogs changing lives and giving individuals with autism freedom and independence
AutismDogGirl is offline  
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 390
One of the tasks for which a service dog is trained to assist an individual with can not be "for protection". For example, if I am a military veteran suffering from PTSD and have social anxeity and fear around strangers, I can not have a service dog trained to "protect me" from said strangers as a task for him to perform.

ASDogGeek, I guess I don't understand. Is this "trainer" that you are referring to training Autism Support Dogs as personal protection dogs (PPD) for children receiving service/comanion dogs?

I train my own service dogs, have fully trained 2 and am in the middle of training my 3rd. The tasks that they perform are retrieval, opening/closing doors, lights, pulling wheelchair, holding items/carrying items for long distances. I also participate in the sport of schutzhund, but do not consider that participation as having anything to do with the tasks that my dogs assist with. EVERY dog I have ever owned/trained has been of impeccable soundess in mind and has been in every public setting possible and has never once indicated anything other than complete acceptance of people (including, but not limited to, elderly, severely developmentally disabled, infants, school age children, different races, police, emergency medical professionals, etc).

On the other hand, I would never train a dog for a client, either through my organization I work for or privately, to do either personal protection or schutzhund nor would I instruct anybody how to go about doing so.
Hillary_Plog is offline  
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Moderator
 
ILGHAUS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: North Central FLorida, east of Gainesville
Posts: 9,025
Hillary, I'm sending you via PM the link to this guy's website. I haven't had time to really get into it but it looks like he knows how to word everything to prey on the fears of people and still stay within the law.

Looks like he is located in CA and says his organization is a 501(c)(3). This just goes to show that even 501s need to be checked out and "buyer beware".

Statements like this can be concerning: " ... remain controlled,passive,and behaviorally stable,by the handler,but ready,in case further intervention is needed."

He also says he supplies these dogs to children.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 07-22-2011 at 11:33 PM.
ILGHAUS is offline  
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-22-2011, 11:14 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rock Island, IL
Posts: 390
Thanks...if the situation is as it sounds, and I will wait to read for myself if it is so, it could be quite reckless and/or dangerous.
Hillary_Plog is offline  
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 07-24-2011, 06:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: California, US
Posts: 5,928
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillary_Plog View Post
One of the tasks for which a service dog is trained to assist an individual with can not be "for protection". For example, if I am a military veteran suffering from PTSD and have social anxeity and fear around strangers, I can not have a service dog trained to "protect me" from said strangers as a task for him to perform.

ASDogGeek, I guess I don't understand. Is this "trainer" that you are referring to training Autism Support Dogs as personal protection dogs (PPD) for children receiving service/comanion dogs?

I train my own service dogs, have fully trained 2 and am in the middle of training my 3rd. The tasks that they perform are retrieval, opening/closing doors, lights, pulling wheelchair, holding items/carrying items for long distances. I also participate in the sport of schutzhund, but do not consider that participation as having anything to do with the tasks that my dogs assist with. EVERY dog I have ever owned/trained has been of impeccable soundess in mind and has been in every public setting possible and has never once indicated anything other than complete acceptance of people (including, but not limited to, elderly, severely developmentally disabled, infants, school age children, different races, police, emergency medical professionals, etc).

On the other hand, I would never train a dog for a client, either through my organization I work for or privately, to do either personal protection or schutzhund nor would I instruct anybody how to go about doing so.

So, are your service dogs trained in ScH?
codmaster is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome