Help a deaf owner - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

Help a deaf owner

I am hard of hearing deaf and I would like my GSD to know that I am deaf. I would like my GSD "Tank" to help me give me a message. For example, fire alarm, knocking or ring doorbell, something not aware of. Anybody know where I could get Tank training for that? Im located in New England. It would really be easy and helpful for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 11:57 AM
Knighted Member

How old is tank?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:10 PM

Quote:
fire alarm, knocking or ring doorbell,
This type of training should be easy for anyone with a knowledge of how to train a dog. You will not need to find someone who only works with Hearing Dogs.

What type of training does your dog already have? For noise alerts the use of a clicker would be especially easy to use in the training. You would begin with one sound and train and proof it first before going on to a second. With some more knowledge of the background of your dog such as age and training level it will be easier to offer suggestions. Also, helpful would be if you let us know your own level of experience with a dog. Have you ever done any type of training before? Do you know how to use a clicker?

To find a trainer in your area for any needed help you can ask your vet, groomer, or local dog club for recommendations.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-25-2011, 10:18 PM

I just went back and reviewed your previous posts. So Tank is 4 months old. I would suggest looking for a local training facility and sign him up in a puppy obedience class. Also work on the S.T.A.R. puppy which is the CGC for puppies. Welcome to the AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy Program!

These steps will help you both learn to learn. If you do not already know how they will help you learn the basics of training and working in a partnership with your pup.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

3 months soon to be 4 months.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-26-2011, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

Tank only knows how to sit, sit and stay, shake, no touch, no biting, shh when he barks. He does well with them. I use American Sign Language for all those training. I never heard or seeing the clicker. Could you tell me more about it? Thank you for the link I will look into it and appreciate your help and kindness. thank you.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-27-2011, 06:52 AM

Quote:
sit, sit and stay, shake, no touch, no biting, shh when he barks
Very good for a 3-4 month old pup. Remember to keep it all fun and lessons short for such a young pup. Also, he must be proofed in areas other then in your home to be really considerd trained and that will take time and exposure to working on these in other locations. Puppy training classes are a great place to learn the basics and begin working with the distraction of other playful pups. Again, I can not stress enough, keep it fun for him.

Even if you are unable to hear the clicker, Tank will be able to. Buy a decent clicker for $5. or less and learn how to use it. Clicker training is used very often in training tasks for a Hearing Dog.

Here is a link to an intro on clicker training What Is Clicker Training? | Karen Pryor Clickertraining and you may even have a clicker training class offered in your area.

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 05-27-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page