England to America - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
England to America

I have a friend whose mother is coming to visit her here in the states. Her mother will be coming from England and has a service dog.

My friend is concerned about her mom's dog not having "papers" for here in America, but it is my understanding that her mother and the SD fall under the laws of wherever they are at the time, so it shouldn't be a concern.

Am I correct? Answers appreciated

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 06:09 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
My personal opinion would be that it shouldn't be a problem, since the laws here allow for owner trained dogs and say that places cannot request documentation... I'm not sure about the travel though, I don't travel or fly.

I would think the opposite would be more of a problem, someone from the states taking a dog elsewhere. I'm not sure about SD laws in Europe, but the ones in Canada are more strict than here. There, dogs must carry certification at all times in the form of papers or an imprinted harness from the training organization. And only service dogs from accepted training organizations are allowed.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:11 PM

The ADA/Dept. of Justice does not limit the laws to only cover citizens of the U.S. Any visitor would receive the same protections as long as they meet our legal disability definition and also that their dog has been trained to mitigate their disability. It is in the same vein as a resident of one state who goes on vacation in another state must follow the state's laws (in which they are located) concerning a SDIT or follow that state's requirements in order to receive any additional benefit offered by the state over that covered by Fed. law.

She will already be required to carry certain documentation in order to fly with her SD (health certs., rabies documentation, etc.) and that is all that she would need in any unusual circumstances while here. She would not need any of this for normal use.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-10-2011, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Thank you, ladies

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Crowned Member

I woudl be more worried about going back across the pond with their concerns with rabies coming from the US>

J, mom to:
- Elsa - "Da Pookins"
- Medo - "The Beast From The East"
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 11:06 AM
Elite Member

I agree with Elsa. Use to be a 6 month quarantine to bring a dog to England but I don't know if that is still true or not. Our English members should be able to enlighten us.

Dogs' lives are too short. Their only fault, really.
Carlotta O'Neill
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-11-2011, 01:16 PM
Crowned Member

the dog should have a "pet passport" with it's vaccination history, and with that, can travel between the UK and other countries without problems. All European dogs come over with these when you import them as well.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page