I am so mad: proof required - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:31 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

I am so mad: proof required

I am boiling right now. I made a reservation at a hotel for this weekend online. I always call before and tell them I am bringing a service dog with me, just to be polite. Well this.....person at the front desk said "you will have to have prof he is a service dog" After telling her that was against the law I cooled down a bit and asked what kind of proof she wanted. She said "something that says he is a service dog". At this point I am starting to get upset again and again ask what kind of proof she wants and get "well we don't allow pets so we cant let him in." So I tell her I have his service dog tags and I get a very weak "oh well that might do".

So now I am a little bit P'ed off. What would you suggest I have as "proof" when I get there? He is owner trained and I have a Dr's note but I will be tared and feathered if I am going to show that to them, anyway it wouldn't "prove" he is a SD. Of course he will be in full uniform "his red cape" and honestly can't say I will be able to keep my cool if they try cancel my reservation or give me heck once I get there.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:34 PM
Crowned Member

Take a copy of the rules/statutes/laws governing service dogs. Both the Federal and any State ones that apply in your case and give it to them.
I would also contact the manager and let them know what you encountered. It may just be a training issue for some employees.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours faithful and true~ to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. ~unknown
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CassandGunnar View Post
Take a copy of the rules/statutes/laws governing service dogs. Both the Federal and any State ones that apply in your case and give it to them.
I would also contact the manager and let them know what you encountered. It may just be a training issue for some employees.

i agree 100% on both counts. Bring a copy of the rules and all and get after the manager about the whole thing. training issue or not they should know they're not allowed to do that.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Elite Member

Oh boy. I work at a hotel so I can relate to you and the person working. Personally, I think it would be in their best favor to just let your service dog into the hotel without such a bug fuss. It really doesn't take that much to clean a "pet room" and have no evidence that a pet was even in there...so for them it really SHOULDN'T be a big deal. We allow dogs at our hotel, and there is RARELY a problem with past pets affecting guests. So whoever is in charge of those rules needs to re-evaluate them, and if there are any problems you should contact the owners or hotel chain and let them know about your concern.

But just to be safe I would bring something along for proof- whether it's a doctor's note or whatever. Do you have any training certificates or anything? More often than not, the people who are working at the desk don't make the rules. The fact that anyone can say they have a service dog and abuse that makes me sick, but it happens, and that's probably why they want some sort of "proof". Depending on the management and ownership, things can be quite strict and the person may just be following rules to the best of their abilities becasuse they don't want to lose their job. Hopefully they were not being RUDE to you, but rather trying to let you know of their policy. There's definately a nice way to do things and a not so nice way.

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13

Last edited by PupperLove; 04-27-2011 at 09:43 PM.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 09:44 PM
Crowned Member

the point is, it doesn't matter what their "policy" is - it is not legal to require that someone show proof that their dog is a SD.
post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:02 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rerun View Post
the point is, it doesn't matter what their "policy" is - it is not legal to require that someone show proof that their dog is a SD.

Yeah, I understand that. I know that and would never ask for proof, and it's not fair that the OP is being asked for proof when it's not required. I can see why they are mad and don't understand why the "hotel" is being such a BUTT about all that!

But I think alot of people do not know that and it would be a benefit to everybody if there was some sort of proof issued by the state or by a doctor. It would help ease alot of confusion. There's proof needed for tax exempt people, handicapped parking, but not for service animals and I think alot of people, like this hotel employee are confused and uninformed.

Laura

Jackson- DDR/WGSL 5/5/10
Tinah vom Gildaf- DDR 4/29/13
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:12 PM
Elite Member

I would recommend complaining to the corporate level if this is a chain hotel.

Luna, GSD (11/22/08)
Nova, GSD (07/01/07)
Apollo, Rottweiler (06/28/08)
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:18 PM

Is this a private owned or a national chain? I'm asking this just so you know who to speak with. Go over the clerk and clear up the confusion with their supervisor / chain management. Then request that the clerk and any others that are employed there are aware of the law.

Also just as an aside here for knowledge for those who are not aware ... A security deposit (pet deposit) is not charged for any type of Assistance Dog but if the dog does have an accident or does any type of damage the owner is responsible for the cost to clean or repair just as if one of the people in the family did the same.

There is no pet deposit because per Fed law and some state laws an Assistance Dog is not a pet but a medical device. If your wheelchair is run into a wall and puts in a hole then you are responsible for the patch and paint work. If your SD puts a hole in the carpet or furniture then you are responsible for repairs.

A well-trained and cared for SD is less likely to carry in dirt then on the bottom of some careless person's shoes and less likely to make a mess on the carpet -- think small kids with juice box drinks.

Quote:
I would recommend complaining to the corporate level if this is a chain hotel.
Before going the complaining route go with speaking to someone in charge and speak in a calm educated manner and verify what their view is on policy. At that point if needed have the knowledge to guide them in an educational manner. If they are not willing to learn or do not wish to be resonable then go higher and use the *this is what the law says* card. Make sure that the word goes down to the lower levels and request this final decision along with a direct phone number, to be used if there are any onsite problems, to be emailed to you. Carry this email just in case there is a problem at the desk.

You will also want to request that there is a notation of a Service Dog traveling with you be made in your room reservation.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 04-27-2011 at 10:31 PM. Reason: Came back to add addditional info
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-27-2011, 10:45 PM

Not required by law but a nice polite touch ...

When traveling and staying in a hotel please remember that if your dog sleeps in bed with you - as there are sometimes when this is a necessary part of a SD's job -- bring along a couple of sheets from home. Also, do not use the tub or use the room towels for the dog.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 04-28-2011, 01:11 AM

This happened once when my husband was travelling with my son & his service dog. My hisband refused to produce "evidence", realizing that to do so would be to create expectations in the clerk's mind that could be detrimental to other service dog handlers she might deal with. He just calmly asked for the manager, explained the situation to him, showed him a copy of the Dept of Justice FAQs (which we always carry with us), and got his room. He also sent an email to the corporation, suggesting that they bring their policy into compliance with federal law ASAP, and received a very nice reply thanking him for bringing the problem to their attention. It's better to educate if possible, but I also think you need to stand firm on your rights when necessary.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page