US Service Dog Registry - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

US Service Dog Registry

The United States Service Dog Registry

For those who are knowledgeable what exactly does this registry provide for service dogs owners and service dogs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
what exactly does this registry provide for service dogs owners and service dogs
For $50.00 your name and your dog's name on a fancy sheet of paper and a card to carry in your wallet with ADA info on it.

You can then pay $5.00 for a pretty patch and then buy some other items.

Or you can for a lot less go to the store and buy a pack of paper and there are sites on line where you design and print out your own cards. Don't know how much a local sewing shop would charge to make you a patch though -- maybe you or someone you know has a sewing machine that is capable of doing these.

Now what benefits do they provide well there is ummmm ..... and ummm.... I just thought of something and it is right there on the site.
Quote: Your purchase goes to help support the free Registry.

Question: Free? What part?

OK all my attitude aside here -- DO NOT believe for a second that just because the name of the company has the United States in the title that it has anything to do with the Federal Government. And what this card has to do with the Dept. of Homeland Security I have no clue but boy it sure does sound important doesn't it?

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 04-01-2011 at 11:20 PM.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:20 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
Don't know how much a local sewing shop would charge to make you a patch though -- maybe you or someone you know has a sewing machine that is capable of doing these.
I pay around $5 a patch from a seller on ebay, they have an embroidery machine and I've bought all of my patches from them. I even got ones with a GSD silhouette

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2011, 11:43 PM

Thanks Lin for the info on the patches.

As to the Dept. of Homeland Security I was about ready to pout that I didn't get the memo on needing fancy ID cards but then I looked at the obvious answer.

The TSA (Transportation Security Administration) along with FEMA and others are under Homeland Security so my question is answered -- they are talking about having a pretty card while traveling.

So I went to the TSA website, as I always like to give original source info where I can, so people can read for themself and it states:

It is recommended that persons using an animal for assistance carry appropriate identification. Identification may include: cards or documentation, presence of a harness or markings on the harness, or other credible assurance of the passenger using the animal for their disability.

TSA: Service Animals

Please note *recommended* is used and not required .... Also that the ID may include cards, OR the presence of a harness OR the credible assurance of the passenger which is the airline employee asking is this a SD and the handler answering "yes".

Now I never recommend that someone travel without certain documents such as vet certificate and some type of documentation for those times when the travel personnel want more assurance. If the dog is from an organization the handler will have ID from that organization, if trained by a private trainer then they would have given some type of documention stating the dog was trained by them. Owner trained normally have some documentation from outside sources providing some type of paperwork if needed to legally prove (in front of a judge) their dog is a SD.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 04-01-2011 at 11:49 PM. Reason: Some spelling typos and misplaced punctuation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page