10 week Old Service Dog?? Went Missing Left In Yard? Questions.. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 02:46 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

10 week Old Service Dog?? Went Missing Left In Yard? Questions..

So I love to read the news online. Yes call me nerdy but I like to know whats going on around the world. So.... I came across this article about a teens missing service dog. Thought it looked interesting... Well after reading the article and was very disatisfied with what I read. Wanted to know your opinon? I'am not expert by any means on service dogs but things just don't add up for me.

1) Why is there a 10 week old puppy a registered service dog? ( I thought it took years to be trained)

2) Why would a some send a "trained" service dog home at 5-6 weeks old?

3) Why would you leave a puppy that young in a yard unattend? (Service dog or not. She states that he is trained to stay in the yard. That is why she thinks he was picked up?? Really!?!?

4) Did she go to the media for fast attention to find her sons dog and lie about it be a trained service dog?

I'm just wondering what your toughts were on the matter. I'm not attacking people who need service dogs. I totally support and appreciate service dogs and all that they do.

Mesa teen reunited with missing service dog

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
Circe Blk Sable GSD 06/22/08
My fur babies!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by DanielleOttoMom; 03-31-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:19 PM
Crowned Member

We just placed a puppy at 8 weeks old with it's "handler" for Service Dog work.
HOWEVER;...the "handler" is also the special needs person, who actually trains service dogs for the organization.
This puppy is living with the handler/owner and will be trained "hands on" for the work/functions that this puppy will need to eventually perform.
This is her 2nd puppy from us in the past 10 yrs, that will also be her Service Dog.
She is wheel chair bound, and he will need to provide the daily assistance required.
I will post pics of him in his "tiny puppy vest" when she comes to visit.....
His name is: XX Dos Equis von Huerta Hof (a teeny tiny brag).

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:21 PM
Knighted Member

Did you read the comments? The mother, Tanya Ruth was commenting on people's posts. Most questioned how a 10 week old is a service dog.
Her response:
no kugo isnt completly trained yet but he has learned so much and he can already sense symthoms of my son james without james telling me this picture was taken at 6wks old he is the size of a lg chiuhaha now but he is great at his training and helps james and learns more and more everyday he is registered as a service dog with the service dog regrestry but yes it can take up to 2yrs for complete training which he does train 3x a day to get a more traing

This dog was donated to them at 5weeks old.

Linda
Amari's Gunner 9/14/08

Buddy (kitty) 8/15/07
Nikki (Polydactyl kitty) 6/15/07

~ I reject your reality and substitute my own ~ Adam Savage

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Interesting. I didn't think that was how things worked. I thought you had to apply for a dog/ puppy. Then basied on your needs and personality a dog/ puppy was them matched for you then sent home after the dog/ puppy graduatied from school after it was 1-2 years old. I can understand why someone who already does train service dogs and need a new service be sent a young puppy. I'm just want to educate my self for on the topic. Thank you for your reply. Robin I love to see pics of your little brag I bet he has made you very proud.

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
My fur babies!!
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:32 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
That poor puppy taken from its mother so young.

There is no such thing as a service dog registry. They are scams where people send in money to get certificates saying their dog is registered, and they're completely meaningless. Though most of them still do require you to sign that your dog meets federal requirements to be a service dog, which no puppy could possibly meet. Those requirements are what takes 2 years of training.

You can acquire a dog through a training organization, or owner train. But in an owner train the puppy should not have been taken from its mother before 8 weeks old, and the dog wouldn't even be a service dog in training at 10 weeks, best would be a service dog candidate.

member in education and Service Dog Handler.

Last edited by Lin; 03-31-2011 at 03:35 PM.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Crowned Member

I think if the dog was a seizure alert type dog it could go to the home at 8 weeks and form a bond with a child. Along with working with a SD trainer specifically for the childs health issues.
Some people I use to train with had a litter of Mals and one pup was going to a home with a diabetic child/the dog was going to be trained as an alert dog. Not sure how it ended up training-wise, or if there was success.

The comments below the article tell me this mother is not very intelligent or responsible. To say the pup was ready at 5 weeks? And knowing the pup wasn't trained, yet letting it out repeatedly in front to run away, almost getting hit by a car?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 03-31-2011 at 03:46 PM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 03:44 PM
Crowned Member

We have known the "handler/owner" of our puppies for over 12 yrs now.
She trains dogs for a non for profit organization, that trains Service Dogs.
No dog through the organization is placed with their new handler/owner before the dog is completely trained and of adult age....there is a waiting list and an application process. (they mostly utilize Labs & Goldens).
OUR puppy is owned by one of the trainers...who is also a needing candidate of a Service Dog. We placed XX with her at 8 wks, because she wanted him that young...and she is the person who will be training him.

Huerta Hof German Shepherds

....where breeding is still considered an art....
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 05:09 PM
Elite Member

Don't reputable service dog organizations also train the humans in the care & keeping of their service dogs? I can't imagine a reputable organization approving of leaving any service dog unattended in a yard, much less a puppy-- or, for that matter, taking such a young pup away from its mommy & littermates.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 05:13 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogaroo View Post
Don't reputable service dog organizations also train the humans in the care & keeping of their service dogs? I can't imagine a reputable organization approving of leaving any service dog unattended in a yard, much less a puppy-- or, for that matter, taking such a young pup away from its mommy & littermates.
A reputable organization would have strict rules and not approve leaving the dog unattended in an unfenced yard. However a reputable organization would not place a 5 week old puppy, or even a puppy period as a "registered service dog."

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-31-2011, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
A reputable organization would have strict rules and not approve leaving the dog unattended in an unfenced yard. However a reputable organization would not place a 5 week old puppy, or even a puppy period as a "registered service dog."
This is exatly what I thought the rules for creditable organization.

Otto Blk GSD 02/23/10
My fur babies!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page