Does this sound legit?! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Does this sound legit?!

So my aunt, has this "crippling disability" of going into anxiety attack when she is not with or around her dog Emma, who is a 5 year old mix mutt kick me dog breed. So anywho, she decided to make it a service dog because she can't stand to be away from her without having panic attacks. She says after six months of training she got Emma her service card. Wanna know what the dog does?! She says it calms her nerves from panic attacks, and alerts her to the nerve damage in her knee, so the dog will alert her whenever her nerves will "act up". So she is a two in one service dog!! She is SO PROUD of Emma!!

It sounds like utter BS to me. This dog RIPPED a purebred poodles, who at the time was a show dog, face off and now the dog can't show. Not only does she gloat about it, she was thrilled the man couldn't sue because his dog wasn't on lead in his front yard.

It doesn't sound right, I think she chose to get the dog as a service dog because she is moving from Cali to Florida and she doesn't want to be separated from the dog during the move. Especially on the flights.

ONE LAST THING, she said her doctor, recommend Emma to be her service dog because of how protective she is of her?!

The kick me pseudo service dog!

I personally think my aunt is spewing BS and abusing the system. What do you think, am I being too judgmental?!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 01:54 PM
Crowned Member

i would say she's definitely abusing the system. and no doctor would "prescribe" a service dog for protection. I'm pretty certain it doesnt work that way. Your aunt should be smacked.... hard and put in a padded room with a teeny tiny window that she cant reach.

Shasta GSD 5/5/10 CGC, ITD, TC
"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
"Hades" Guilty vom Blutfeuer 10/26/2018
Zena GSD 6/1/03-2/16/2016
Riley GSD/BC 1/10/05-2/1/2013
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KZoppa View Post
Your aunt should be smacked.... hard and put in a padded room with a teeny tiny window that she cant reach.
I couldn't agree more. I just recently RESTARTED talking to this aunt, I stopped talking to her after her dog attacked that other dog, this wasn't just it, she is a hard to handle person, the whole family agrees. I quit talking to her after because she said that breeders are ruining things for the dogs that don't have homes already, that are in shelters. That dogs shouldn't be bred, they should just stop that and make everybody adopt. When she said that, we got into it. She new I had a deposit on a purebred GSD and she was being snide and making underhanded comments. She ALWAYS has to be right, and she is always causing drama.

She and I have COMPLETELY different views on things in life!

This though, is a new low...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:12 PM
Master Member

Sounds pretty BS to me.

By the way, what's a "mix mutt kick me dog breed?"
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrantsWifey View Post
I couldn't agree more. I just recently RESTARTED talking to this aunt, I stopped talking to her after her dog attacked that other dog, this wasn't just it, she is a hard to handle person, the whole family agrees. I quit talking to her after because she said that breeders are ruining things for the dogs that don't have homes already, that are in shelters. That dogs shouldn't be bred, they should just stop that and make everybody adopt. When she said that, we got into it. She new I had a deposit on a purebred GSD and she was being snide and making underhanded comments. She ALWAYS has to be right, and she is always causing drama.

She and I have COMPLETELY different views on things in life!

This though, is a new low...

so basically she is a can of worms kinda person. I have no issues adopting if i find the right dog but i have NO issues going to a breeder either. People with such head in the hole views make me mad! What works for one may not work for another. UGH! i would stop talking to her again lol.

"Dax" Thor z vom Weberhaus BCAT CAX2 CGCA ETD HCT NCO-1 PKD-T RATI RATN RA TC TKA 3/18/2013
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greydusk View Post
Sounds pretty BS to me.

By the way, what's a "mix mutt kick me dog breed?"

Haha, a mix mutt kick me dog breed" is a mixed pup/mutt, that is also the size of a kick me dog/ a common slang name given to those tiny yappy breeds, BREED! LOL!

She is small, annoying, mixed dog, that bit me when I went to visit my aunt, and taken another dogs face out of the show ring. :-( Not my favorite dog I've ever met!
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:26 PM

My answer to your question is directly from the ADA definition of a service dog:

" ... the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition.”

Quote:
... after six months of training she got Emma her service card
There is no such thing as a legit *service card* for a SD. Fake rip offs can be purchased all over the Internet from anywhere from below $50 up to $100s according to if you also buy their "suitable for framing certificates" and specially designed leashes etc.

Six months ??? Average time to train a SD is 1 1/2 to 2 years. Guide dogs are started as puppies when they go into a puppy raisers home to begin learning good manners and how a well-behaved dog acts.

Doctors can write a *prescription* or recommendation for an Emotional Support Animal which I would say falls more in line with your aunt's dog except for the aggression issues which doesn't sound like a dog needing to go on a flight.

Protection as in aggressive behavior is not a task for a SD. Again, I see problems brewing if she tries to take it on a plane full of people.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:34 PM

I think I would really confuse your aunt.

I have worked with dog (and cat) rescue for years and also spend a lot of time with my local humane society where I am a member, a volunteer, and sit on the Board of Directors. I own 3 dogs all purchased from breeders. I really don't believe that anything that I have done contributes to dogs being in or dying in shelters.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:41 PM
Crowned Member

If I could have Sinister with me at all times I definitly would.

I get completely stressed out thinking about taking him to the groomers. I actually booked 5 appointments and then I freaked myself out and cancelled them all. Yesterday I finally took him to the groomers, I stayed right next to him the whole time and I was stressed for more than half of the time.

I leave work and go straight home, my friends come to my house unless I can bring Sinister to their house. When I sleep somewhere else, Sin comes with me. I cant even go on vacation without him.

When we are together I am calm, when we are apart I panic.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 03-10-2011, 02:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRen616 View Post
If I could have Sinister with me at all times I definitly would.

I get completely stressed out thinking about taking him to the groomers. I actually booked 5 appointments and then I freaked myself out and cancelled them all. Yesterday I finally took him to the groomers, I stayed right next to him the whole time and I was stressed for more than half of the time.

I leave work and go straight home, my friends come to my house unless I can bring Sinister to their house. When I sleep somewhere else, Sin comes with me. I cant even go on vacation without him.

When we are together I am calm, when we are apart I panic.

oh yeah.... i dont travel without my dogs. Nobody can take care of them or handle them the way i can. and IME, most people wouldnt listen to the directions anyway if by some miracle i DID trust someone to take care of them for a weekend.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page