Changes to ADA Service Dog Law - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Changes to ADA Service Dog Law

ADA Service Dog Changes Effective on Ides of March | Dog Star Daily

I believe I saw a sticky on this not sure if it is the same. Mods if you want to delete if it is or merge that is OK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 PM
Elite Member

Seems the administration of this issue still falls a bit short.....it would be complete with a national registry of qualified ADA service animals, that would offer consistent public recognition.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
BH RN CGC TT HD/ED a1 Normal
Dayna von Royale BH FO CGC Therapy Dogs, Inc.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

What do you mean? Can you explain more?

I read that these animals are only qualifed
"Not only will these new regulations substantially limit the types of animals that will qualify as service animals under the ADA to dogs (and miniature horses in some cases), but they help clarify the different definitions and legal entitlements between service dogs and emotional support dogs.

Not sure if that was what you referring to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Elite Member

A national registry for purebred dogs is the AKC.....there is no national registry for service dogs. There are at least a couple of seeing eye dog groups, a few therapy dogs groups, and on and on. A single national registry that recognizes qualified/trained canines would be ideal in my view. I would let someone else worry about the ponies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 05:50 PM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

But many service dogs are "home schooled". How would they be evaluated by your national registry?
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
I believe I saw a sticky on this not sure if it is the same.
A lot of the info on this is in various stickies but that is fine. It is important enough to be out to everyone's attention again as the date -- March 15 -- is less than a week away.

Here in FL emails went out to many animal first responders today from the top with an attached article again explaining for those who are not familiar with the terms.

I think it is great as this hurricane season we don't need to worry about all the different animal species that may be presented in mass care shelters etc. In my area the old service snakes (if we had any) would be so out of luck. No longer can be claimed as service animals so not allowed in a shelter for people and no pet-friendly sheltering that I am aware of allow them. No service lizzards, bunnies, pot-bellied pigs, etc. etc. hurray.

The new updated explanation is stronger in the explanation that emotional support and making the owner "feel good" does not make a service dog. So hopefully by-by to many of the *huggers* with their untrained dogs in public.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 08:53 PM

Important enough to repeat again ....

“Service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability. Other species of animals, whether wild or domestic, trained or untrained, are not service animals for the purposes of this definition. The work or tasks performed by a service animal must be directly related to the handler´s disability. Examples of work or tasks include, but are not limited to, assisting individuals who are blind or have low vision with navigation and other tasks, alerting individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing to the presence of people or sounds, providing non-violent protection or rescue work, pulling a wheelchair, assisting an individual during a seizure, alerting individuals to the presence of allergens, retrieving items such as medicine or the telephone, providing physical support and assistance with balance and stability to individuals with mobility disabilities, and helping persons with psychiatric and neurological disabilities by preventing or interrupting impulsive or destructive behaviors. The crime deterrent effects of an animal´s presence and the provision of emotional support, well-being, comfort, or companionship do not constitute work or tasks for the purposes of this definition.”

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 09:07 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
providing non-violent protection or rescue work
What does this mean in the context of a disability? I assume this is not referring to a PPD, as that would be potentially violent protection. Just curious.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 09:37 PM

Protection as a Guide Dog stopping its handler from stepping in front of a car, into a hole, wacking their head on something.

A dog trained to lie across its handler during a seizure.

A dog trained to search for help or to seek out a particular person during certain circumstances.

It would be so helpful if the update would have done away with the term *protection* and many people did write in about this during the time the public was being asked to. Many organizations also requested that term be changed or at least expanded on.

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 03-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andaka View Post
But many service dogs are "home schooled". How would they be evaluated by your national registry?
I'm not sure that is so much the point as simply an administered, national, organization...registration...common vest/patch for those animals that meet the ADA requirements regardless if they are home schooled.

I have traveled with dogs and there is always a great deal of confusion on the topic. My dogs are working dogs, but they are not service dogs. I feel too many folks make service dog claims that truly are not service dogs. To me, that is like parking in a handicap spot, really no difference. Conversely, I have witnessed folks with genuine service dogs get grief over their animal in a public venue, and that is an even worse condition.

So my point isn't about criteria, but rather, formal recognition...identification, so those with genuine need can exercise their rights unencumbered.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page