personal support dogs? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:05 PM Thread Starter

Lightbulb personal support dogs?

I met someone today in petsmart who had a gsd she said it waas her "personal support dog" was wondering if anyone else here had one? I was kind of confused as to what it was at first as i had never heard of it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:10 PM
Crowned Member

I think that means "I don't have a disability but I want to take my dog everywhere bc he makes me not scared"

Hunter, CWDC UScA Helper
Beschützer des Jägers v.d. Sportwaffen
Katya v. Hügelblick
SG Aska v. Ketscher Wald
Yōkai v.d. Sportwaffen
Arya v. Allrothaus
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:15 PM

It's for people with extreme anxiety issues, learning disabilities, things like that.

Owned by:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Zeb - GSD (2/14/2008)
Bowie - Turkish Van Cat(09/27/2009)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:16 PM Thread Starter

do they get to go everywhere with the person like a guide dog? I also wonder if the dog is trained in a certian way or to do certian tasks etc..
post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:19 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin
I think you're referring to an emotional support animal. If so, no they do not have public access rights of a service dog. But they do have housing and travel rights (such as by plane) here in the states.

Emotional Support Animals | Service Dog Central

Emotional support animal - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:27 PM Thread Starter

ic there is also something i read from those links called a psychiatric service animal
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

Yes, but a PSD is an actual service dog that assists someone with a psychiatric disability, while the ESA is just a comforting presence in the home. You mentioned this happened at petsmart, where dogs are already allowed. A PSD accompanies their partner everywhere, while the ESA can only accompany the partner on an airplane or where pets are allowed. Canada has very strict laws regarding service animals, and only gives public access rights to those animals who have been trained through an accepted organization and requires them to carry certification at all times for this public access.

post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:38 PM
Crowned Member

I've never heard of the term "personal support dog".
There are many types of service/assistance dogs and there are emotional support dogs but "personal support" is a first. It sounds like a personal assistant.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 09:59 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lin View Post
Yes, but a PSD is an actual service dog that assists someone with a psychiatric disability, while the ESA is just a comforting presence in the home. You mentioned this happened at petsmart, where dogs are already allowed. A PSD accompanies their partner everywhere, while the ESA can only accompany the partner on an airplane or where pets are allowed. Canada has very strict laws regarding service animals, and only gives public access rights to those animals who have been trained through an accepted organization and requires them to carry certification at all times for this public access.
I think they should do this here (have a cert. for the individual to carry).
post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 02-05-2011, 10:04 PM
Lin
Crowned Member

I disagree. The way the laws are currently set up give the most rights to the PWD (person with disability.) For many, acquiring a SD through an organization is not an option. You can be required to fundraise 20,000+ to pay for the dog, or wait years on a list. Most organizations require the dog to be returned upon retirement, and won't place a dog in a home with any other pets.

I already had a multi pet home before deciding a service animal would be a big help. I also don't have the money or ability to fundraise, prefer to choose my breed (GSD), am absolutely unwilling to return a dog upon retirement... So I will only ever have owner trained SDs.

As for some type of federal certification while still allowing owner trained dogs... Where would the money come from? Its not going to happen. Its also incredibly invasive when employees start questioning you about your disability and your dog.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page