Discussion Topic - Place of Business - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter

Discussion Topic - Place of Business

Questions to get this discussion started.

Can a clerk at the local hardware store ask if the handler is disabled?

Can a bag boy at the grocery store ask a disable person what is wrong with them?

Can a waitress at a restaurant ask if a dog brought in is a Service Dog?

Can a teller at a bank ask a disabled person what their Service Dog does for them?

Can a business owner ask a disabled person to take their Service Dog out of a store?

Can a security person at the mall ask a disabled person to take their Service Dog out of the building?

Can a saleslady at a bridal shop ask a disabled person to leave their Service Dog at the front of the shop and not bring it back into the storage area where the dresses are displayed?

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Let's see how I do

Yes

Can a bag boy at the grocery store ask a disable person what is wrong with them?
No

Yes

Can a teller at a bank ask a disabled person what their Service Dog does for them?

Yes

Can a business owner ask a disabled person to take their Service Dog out of a store?

If the dog is being a disruption, otherwise, no

Can a security person at the mall ask a disabled person to take their Service Dog out of the building?
See the former

Can a saleslady at a bridal shop ask a disabled person to leave their Service Dog at the front of the shop and not bring it back into the storage area where the dresses are displayed?
Sure they can ask, but to the best of my knowledge, the handler does not have to comply. It would be common courtesy if other help can be arranged.

When I was shopping for my wedding dress, though Strauss came along, I also brought others with me to help me and keep him away from the dresses. If it wasn't too hot, he stayed in the car, or I had a friend sit with him away from the clothing.

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
In the State of Washington:

Yes, but the clerk cannot ask for proof of disability and disability is very loosely defined:
The rules of the Washington State Law Against Discrimination defines a disability as any abnormal sensory, mental or physical condition that:
• Is medically cognizable or diagnosable
• exists as a record or history
is perceived to exist.
Can a bag boy at the grocery store ask a disabled person what is wrong with them?
No idea what the legal considerations are, but he would have to be very, very rude to do so.

Yes, but the waitress cannot ask for proof of the dog's status or proof of disability.
There are no legal requirements for service animals to be specially identified. Some, but not all, service animals, wear special collars and harnesses. Some, but not all, are licensed or “certified” and/or have identification papers. If you are not certain that an animal is a service animal, you may ask the person who has the animal if it is a service animal required because of a disability. A public entity cannot require any proof of a person’s disability, or identification or certification of the service animal’s status.
I know this is allowed under Federal law, but I'm a bit hazy on whether or not it's allowed under Washington State law.

Only if the dog is causing a disruption or posing a risk to other people.

See above.

No.

So basically in Washington, we are on an honor system as to whether or not "just" pets can be brought into businesses. The rules seem to allow any well-behaved dog to be taken virtually anywhere.

http://www.hum.wa.gov/FAQ/FAQServiceAnimal.html

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Crowned Member

I would answer all the questions as Xeph did.

However, to the questions of whether business owner / mall security can ask a disabled person and their dog to leave, I would add that if the dog is being disruptive, threatening other customers, running loose unsupervised, or inappropriately eliminating indoors, then they may ask them to leave. I would not just say "being a disruption" - rather, being a "nuisance". I think a Service Dog could be a disruption just by his presence, if people stand and gawk and what not.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Good point, Chris

Jackie and the
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Can a bag boy at the grocery store ask a disabled person what is wrong with them?
No idea what the legal considerations are, but he would have to be very, very rude to do so.
Rude yes, but it happens quite often from store employees and customers.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 02:30 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
Rude yes, but it happens quite often from store employees and customers.
I would expect this from a 6 year old but I suppose it's not surprising when it comes from people who should be old enough to know better; teaching your children manners appears to be somewhat passe.

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Crowned Member

People just don't think about it. I met a woman with a Service Dog while I was tracking my dog in an open field and she was waiting to exercise her dog. Then a few months later, I saw her again on the college campus for a special event, so I was chatting with her when an acquaintance of mine came over, noticed the dog wearing a vest, and asked what her disability was. He was not really rude about it but people who aren't disabled themselves don't really stop to think about what they are asking. Before the woman could respond, I told my friend he should not be asking that. Luckily she was cool with it and explained what the dog does without going into her medical condition - the dog alerts to a medical condition and carries medical supplies (I'd never asked her about it, since it was fairly obvious to me as the dog wears a "Medical Alert" backpack that is packed with stuff).
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-29-2010, 06:42 PM
Elite Member

I would restate that and ask what "task" does the dog perform not what it does for them.

I am a puppy raiser for a service dog agency trust me I have been asked what my disability is since it is not apparent that I need a dog . Or I assume the dog is in training I get that all the time too and it is not asked because of the dog's behavior.

I don't think people think before they speak or maybe it is how they were brought up - some are polite and don't mean to be rude I think they are just curious others are rude though.

I was raised by 2 parents that have a disability and I was always taught what to do when I see a service dog which in my parents terms was do not pet the dog and don't bother people because they are just like you and I .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page