School Denies Student's Service Dog (GSD) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 282 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

School Denies Student's Service Dog (GSD)

This is in my local county school system. Fairfax County Public Schools operates on an annual budget of over a billion dollars (that's billion). I think they are wrong denying the boy his service dog.

Fairfax School Denies Student's Service Dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 282 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Crowned Member

I would like to see said requirements, but this does not surprise me. This topic has been a heated controversy for a while now and at this time, I've got to agree with the schools in most cases.

My bet is that the requirements she doesn't meet are being under a certain height/weight and breed.

eta; Why do you feel they are wrong denying him the service dog? Do you think it is right to deny other students an education that are allergic or terrified of dogs? There are so many pros and cons to the argument it's rediculous. I don't see the schools changing their minds anytime soon.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #3 of 282 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter

I think it's wrong because of Federal Law. The ADA specifically forbids this type of Service Dog ban. They are ignoring the law here.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 282 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

post #5 of 282 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

6. Q: My county health department has told me that only a guide dog has to be admitted. If I follow those regulations, am I violating the ADA?

A: Yes, if you refuse to admit any other type of service animal on the basis of local health department regulations or other state or local laws. The ADA provides greater protection for individuals with disabilities and so it takes priority over the local or state laws or regulations.

Seems pretty clear to me
post #6 of 282 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Knighted Member

I saw this on the news last night and was saddened to see that boy in a regular school anyway. He is 12 and reads maybe on a first grade level, has been home schooled by mom his whole life, and has severe seizures multiple times a day not controlled by medication. He needs to be in a special setting as it is where he can get one on one attention not be jammed in a classroom with 20-25 other students.

I know last year there was a service dog at my daughters school- a pug mix named bella. I don't know what her purpose was, but she was the sweetest dog ever. However, in a grade school setting she was a huge distraction- kids don't get not to touch and talk to the service dog, and teachers don't have the time to constantly interrupt classroom time to ensure these rules are being met. There were also children with dog allergies and phobias so Bella did not return this year

I don't want to sound mean because I have a special needs son, but parents can't expect a regular curriculum and classroom setting to meet their special children's needs. They have programs for children like this boy where he would be better served and have an easier time incorporating his dog.

On a side note I think it is very cool the way this dog is used. The boy has a gadget similar to a pace maker in his chest and the dog a magnetic fixture on her collar. When the dog senses the boy is going to have a seizure she places her head on his activating the pace maker and stopping the seizure. I know this boy needs this dog but I don't think it's fair to take away class time, expose children to allergy attacks, or fear because of one child. Fairfax needs to work with his mom either providing a private school setting for him or offering her in home support for his educational needs. There are other options this mom is either ignorant to, or just ignoring
post #7 of 282 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 09:59 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Skype™ to paulag1955
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I would like to see said requirements, but this does not surprise me. This topic has been a heated controversy for a while now and at this time, I've got to agree with the schools in most cases.

My bet is that the requirements she doesn't meet are being under a certain height/weight and breed.

eta; Why do you feel they are wrong denying him the service dog? Do you think it is right to deny other students an education that are allergic or terrified of dogs? There are so many pros and cons to the argument it's rediculous. I don't see the schools changing their minds anytime soon.
If this were a guide dog for a blind child, do you think another child's allergy should be allowed to take precedence?

Paula
Shasta - GSD (4/30/10)
Thor - GSD (3/12/12)
RIP Duchess - Shetland Sheepdog (12/25/88 - 2/14/04)
post #8 of 282 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:05 PM Thread Starter

I think it is important to note that he is not in a regular classroom. He is in a special needs program and it has 5-6 students and 3 teachers in the room. Not exactly a regular setting.
post #9 of 282 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:06 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel & Gretel View Post
These are places of business though. The dog can interfere with a child's right to education in a school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulag1955 View Post
If this were a guide dog for a blind child, do you think another child's allergy should be allowed to take precedence?
Yes. As American's we have the right to education and that shouldn't be infringed upon by a service animal of any sort. 1 child's dog should not be above a classroom full of students having reactions and being allergic.

There are also other common arguement like the fact that THAT boy could NOT control that dog if he needed to and the school shouldn't be responsible. THAT child can not give the dog adequate water and potty breaks while school. And so on and so forth.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #10 of 282 (permalink) Old 12-22-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter

The ADA law states (in so many words) that a service dog trumps someones allergies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page