What to do with 11 week old puppy? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:36 PM Thread Starter

What to do with 11 week old puppy?

I have an 11 week old puppy that I am hoping to train as a successor service dog for me. He of course is a german shepherd. I am wondering at that age, what I should be doing with him, and what he already needs to know, if anything?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 11:01 PM
Crowned Member

Well, training on a daily basis is a must, along with getting him into puppy classes as soon as possible. By this age my pup knew sit, down, shake, stay, come, leave it, off, and bedtime, so it's never too soon to start.

Just make sure you're using great training treats and are keeping sessions short and fun. 5 minutes is a good starting point a few times a day, but make sure you end them on a good note.

Danielle, owner of...
Fraggle Rock Collars & ...
Fraggle Vom Richcreek CGC CA
Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 12:30 AM

At 11 weeks old my dogs are mostly playing and being babies. They are also learning to come, being potty trained, learning basic house manners, learning to walk nice on a leash, learning to feel confident around various people, and further building on their trust in me and my decisions.

I say "learning" because they are not yet reliable nor proofed nor do I expect them to be.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),

Last edited by ILGHAUS; 06-01-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:23 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

I have several "games" that I play with my puppies. Jag is a little older than your puppy, but we started this when we got him at 10 weeks.

First we do recall games. You need two pieces of food -- one of them needs to be big enough to be seen on the floor. Hold onto the puppy's collar. You throw the first cookie a little ways in front of the pup. Let go and say "get it" or fetch or whatever. You may have to help him find it the first time or two. When he finds it, coax him back to you with the second cookie using your recall command. Soon the pup will be watching for the throw, run to get it when released, and come back when called. He is actually learning to both retrieve and come with the same game. Then you can swap a ball or other toy for the first treat and fade out the second treat as playing with you becomes more important to the pup.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:27 AM
"I like Daffy" Moderator

Another recall game you can play takes two people. They sit on opposite sides of the room and both need cookies for the pup. One calls his name and coaxes him to come using the cookie. Then the second person calls and gives him a cookie for coming. This game gets really funny when the pup gets this figured out and just starts running back and forth between the two people looking for cookies. That is when you would stop playing this game.

Last edited by Andaka; 06-01-2010 at 11:28 AM. Reason: typo
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 11:39 AM
Crowned Member

And give lots of kisses on the nose and cuddle time and play time and take lots of pictures..and....awe, I want another puppy...........
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:44 PM

Quote:
And give lots of kisses on the nose and cuddle time and play time and take lots of pictures..and....awe, I want another puppy...........
Some very very good advice. For now I have to get my puppy fixes by volunteering at our Humane Society. Yesterday, I had two babies to love on. It was puppy heaven.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILGHAUS View Post
At 11 weeks old my dogs are mostly playing and being babies. They are also learning to come, being potty trained, learning basic house manners, learning to walk nice on a leash, learning to feel confident around various people, and further building on their trust in me and my decisions.

I say "learning" because they are not yet reliable nor proofed nor do I expect them to be.

This!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-01-2010, 09:30 PM
Crowned Member

Lots and lots and lots of socialization! It is the #1 priority at that age. I would get into a puppy class right away if you're not already in one as they are very helpful for socialization as well, but you should be socializing them every day not just in class.

Jubal/Tesla (Beauceron) 3/14/14
Bianca HIC CGC TT (GSD) 4/24/04-10/23/12
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

we are in classes right now, and we will start our next session in July. He seems to be doing much better with people as well as with other dogs. At about 8-9 weeks old, he would bark at people and other dogs. Now, he only barks at them when they come to our home. We don't have many people come over, and we live in a bad neighborhood, so I don't see a problem with this as long as he stops when I tell him to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page