This ANNOYS me. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

This ANNOYS me.

It may be a minute point, but after working with actual Therapy and Service Dogs (those that have been trained, certified, etc.,) we were watching an episode of PitBoss last night (repeat episode.) We are not "fans" of the show by any means. Frankly, we watch it solely for "Ashley" (and her smartass comments) and to see the Pit Bulls.

"Shorty" is 4 ft. tall (I think that's what he said last night,) and he has a "Service Dog." He has a Pit Bull service dog ("Hercules" - SDIT) that goes everywhere with him. I don't know what KIND of SD he is.

Last night, they (he and his staff) took his Service Dog - Hercules (wearing a vest - SDIT,) another dog- Geisha (wearing an SD vest- SD) and yet another dog (also wearing an SD vest - NOT certified as SD nor TD) to a retirement home. The third dog, "Dominico," was just pulled out of some "adopter's" backyard. I don't know what kind of screening "Shorty" does, but when they found the dog, it was outside, chained to a tree on a 4 ft. chain, wearing a harness that is pretty well-known as a fighting dog/tough guy harness, NO water (bowl full of dirt,) NO food, and in the sun besides.

He takes "Dominico" to the retirement home knowing Dominico is....

1) NOT a Service Dog.
2) NOT a Therapy Dog.
3) NOT trained.
4) Of unknown health at the moment (since there was no mention, though it could be possible, that they took the dog to the Vet after picking it up from the adopter's home.)

WTH? "PitBoss" is based in California, and I don't know what Cali laws are regarding SDs or Pet Therapy Dogs, but we were so disappointed. Bringing an untrained, non-certified dog into a situation and throwing an SD vest on it does not make it a SD nor a Therapy Dog.

The whole show is a joke, and the above only annoys me further. (Yes, I plan on writing a letter or e-mail though I don't know how much good it will do.)

- Shel

Handmade puppy and dog toys - Free Shipping
100% Proceeds to animal rescues -

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:46 AM
dOg
Elite Member

Re: This ANNOYS me.

That is annoying, and potentially tragic. Shorty sounds like he is
a little short on brains, as are the show staff and home staff.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 10:48 AM
Crowned Member

Never watched that show but it sounds like another dose of twisted reality programming. The poor old people in the home!

-Jenn

Venus of Crooked Creek 1/26/13
Otto von Hena-C 05/23/08
Morgan Donnermond 08/04/01 to 9/28/12 Long Live the Queen!

I have duct tape and I am not afraid to use it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:40 AM
Crowned Member

I saw this show also and had the same reaction. Some nusring homes don't require trained therapy dogs. Shoot some dogs that are registered with groups don't have specific training for the animals or handlers - they just pass a test.

Places that accept dogs that are not at least registered have no idea how much liability they are taking on.

For that show to accept and air that irresponsible behavior was a disgrace. To take a just rescued dog into a situation like that is asking for tragedy.

Also, I would like to know if Hercules is truly a service dog or if he is faking the vest to take him where he wants to . On another episode Shorty goes out to eat with his sister and is asked "that is a service dog, right?" And Shorty answered "right" and smirked.

He walks around at events and has his costumed workers take his dog. If this is a service dog, wouldn't it be with him always? Much worse if he is faking a service dog. If he is the show should be yanked.

Bonnie

-

-

With approval from:
Skye, CGC & certified therapy dog (GSD)
Buddy, CGC & certified therapy dog (golden, tripod)

RIP
Sophie - the life was too short dog
Solo - CGC, AAT 'stars in the sky dog'
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Skye'sMom
Also, I would like to know if Hercules is truly a service dog or if he is faking the vest to take him where he wants to . On another episode Shorty goes out to eat with his sister and is asked "that is a service dog, right?" And Shorty answered "right" and smirked.
I read (on Shorty's website) that Geisha was his first "Service Dog," and that because she has gotten older, Hercules was trained to be his next "Service Dog." According to something else I read, both Geisha and Hercules are "registered with the ADA as Service Dog and Service Dog in Training, respectively."

Apparently he got Geisha after he was released from prison and then had her trained as a SD after a back injury. I wonder why he doesn't take Hercules with him since he is, apparently, his newest SD.

You're right. He has his costumed employees walk Geisha around (wearing an SD vest and costume as well.)

The episode with "That is a SD, right?" I think was the same episode as the Crawfish Festival one ("costumed workers...")

They are out to eat at a restaurant, and the server asks, "that is an SD, right?" The camera pans over to Geisha (Hercules? they look alike,) and Shorty says, "right" and smirks. Then the server says, "Because we normally don't allow pets." When the server leaves, Shorty and his sister make a face, and the sister mocks the server, " ' because we normally don't allow pets.' " What a great way to show respect.

- Shel

- PICS NOW UP!
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted By: SouthernThistle (Yes, I plan on writing a letter or e-mail though I don't know how much good it will do.)
Might do some good, if you copy some of the agencies supporting and training actual service dogs - especially those in So. Calif. near where these folks are based.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 12:51 PM

"registered with the ADA as Service Dog and Service Dog in Training, respectively."

The ADA does not register Service Dogs or Service Dogs in Training. There is no official registration process, just some un-reputatable companies who take advantage of those with SD's. Or the pretenders who want to pass their dogs as SD's.

Victoria & Jedi ITD CGC
Dream Dogz
Training & Behavior

post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:29 PM
Crowned Member

I have never watched "PitBoss" because the show doesn't really interest me, but Animal Planet's other shows, such as Dogs 101, also have a history of not understanding what makes a Service Dog and what makes a Therapy Dog.

I did watch an episode of Dogs 101 where they identified an Airedale as a "Therapy Dog", showing clearly that the dog was wearing a TDI tag, and then filming the dog and handler as they broke about every single one of TDI's rules ... visiting on a choke chain, feeding treats throughout the visit, etc.

Same episode featured a Chihauhua "Service Dog" who supposedly alerted his owner who was suffering from Celiac Disease. For that one, they showed a laminated ID card with the dog's picture, saying "Therapy Animal". It was one of the ones SARA (the fake Service Dog registry people) sell.

You'd think that the producers spend more time fact checking and making sure they don't pass on a bunch of nonsense to their viewers. Especially when it comes to understanding what Service Dogs are, since there are already so many people misusing the term to bring their untrained dogs into stores.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 01:37 PM
Knighted Member

That show is retarted. I saw it one time.
What a JOKE!

Kilo- GSD
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 02-01-2010, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The whole PitBoss show irritates me, but I thought I would post my comments about the "Service Dog"/"Therapy Dog" episode we caught as a re-run last night.

Andrew and I both said, "you CAN'T be serious?! Did they JUST take that dog that they pulled out of the guy's backyard into a retirement home as a 'Therapy Dog,' using a TD vest, etc.?!"

http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.d...NEWS/704250332

Former stuntman depends on service animal after injury

"Since suffering a spinal injury during stunt work, Rossi has been unable to carry heavy loads. Hercules, a certified service dog fitted with a pair of saddlebags, does it for him."

- Shel

- PICS NOW UP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page