Seeing Eye dogs?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Doubleminttwin
Seeing Eye dogs??

Our friend has a brother who is blind, he wants to look into getting a seeing eye dog. Our friend really likes Baya and wants to know if GSD's are good seeing eye dogs. Her brother will be going off to college and she is worried about him being all alone, especially with how mean people can be. She is worried ppl might pick on him or torment his dog and he wont know and she thinks having a GSD will discourage this behavior. But her mom doesn't think they use GSD's as seeing eye dogs anymore, so I was wondering what you guys thought? Do GSD's make good seeing eye dogs?

*~Jen~*
“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr. Seuss

Baya 6/29/09

Ask me about: Leopard Geckos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:46 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Seeing Eye dogs??

I raise them.
Go to http://www.fidelco.org
You'll get the info you need.
My fosters make the best guide dog and companions.

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 08:59 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote: Do GSD's make good seeing eye dogs?
They make fantastic guide dogs! Not to criticize you but they're actually called "guide dogs." The Seeing Eye is just one of many schools that provide guide dogs.

I think they lost popularity to labs and goldens because of all the negative publicity guard breeds have gotten lately. I actually prefer GSDs OVER labs and goldens because even though the dog has to have a stellar temperament for work, they give the impression of a well-protected handler, lessening their being a target for nasty people. I also feel, though it's debatable, that GSDs are smarter, and equipped for a wider range of tasks than labs or goldens. Plus, as heavily bred as labs are, (I know GSDs are too, but not as much) I'd be worried about the health and longevity of a dog who 2 years of work and training has been invested in. Finally, I think a GSD is more level-headed, more serious, and thinks things out more, making them better, especially as a guide dog. One bad choice can mean the difference of life or death for their handler.

I'd like to see them used more often. They still have the recognizable service dog reputation.

-Jackie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 09:05 PM

Just a little tidbit of info :

Seeing Eye dogs come from Morristown, NJ. The Seeing Eye Inc., organization that trains Guide Dogs has used the registered trademark <u>Seeing Eye Dogs </u>since they opened as the first guide dog facility in the U.S. in 1929.
Seeing Eye Organization Link

Other facilities around the country also raise and train Guide Dogs. Some no longer use German Shepherds.

TJ aka Theresa A. Jennings
Pyro vom Wildhaus aka Kaleb ~S.T.A.R.~
Family Companion, Non-Profit Mascot, In-Home Service Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Member of Assistance Dog Advocacy Project (ADAP),
Humane Animal Education & Services (HAES),
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 09:08 PM
Banned

what?

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Ghostwolf
Quote:
Quote: Do GSD's make good seeing eye dogs?
I also feel, though it's debatable, that GSDs are smarter, and equipped for a wider range of tasks than labs or goldens.

Finally, I think a GSD is more level-headed, more serious, and thinks things out more, making them better, especially as a guide dog.

I'd like to see them used more often.

-Jackie
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 09:36 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Send a message via AIM to Doubleminttwin

O cool, thank you all for the info I wasn't sure what they were called. I didn't know that. BjDimock that link was very helpful thank you! I will have to give her those links.

*~Jen~*
“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.” Dr. Seuss

Baya 6/29/09

Ask me about: Leopard Geckos
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 09:43 PM
Knighted Member

You're welcome!

Sar K-9 Tasha (GSD)
Sar K-9 Kolby (GSD)
Sar K-9 Skye (GSD)
GSD's Frodo and Ilan
Retired Guide dog Sika
Retired Guide dog Seda (and ruler of my Pack)
Proud to be a Fidelco Volunteer Puppy Raiser.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-25-2009, 10:26 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Quote:what?
That doesn't exactly give me enough information to determine what you're not understanding about what I said, or I would be able to answer you.

-Jackie
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 11:40 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

They definitely use GSD's still, and the first Seeing Eye dog ever was a GSD. But the Labs/Goldens and mixes are also great.

Frankly, when you join the program they evaluate you and the dogs available, based on that they make the match. So there would be no guarantee (at least with the Seeing Eye) that your friends brother would get a GSD. Though all of the dogs are larger and so can to be more of a deterent than say a toy poodle. Though the fact is these dogs are NOT trained to be protection dogs in any way shape or form.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-26-2009, 05:40 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Quote: I also feel, though it's debatable, that GSDs are smarter, and equipped for a wider range of tasks than labs or goldens. Plus, as heavily bred as labs are, (I know GSDs are too, but not as much) I'd be worried about the health and longevity of a dog who 2 years of work and training has been invested in. Finally, I think a GSD is more level-headed, more serious, and thinks things out more, making them better, especially as a guide dog. One bad choice can mean the difference of life or death for their handler.
Just wanted to clarify I have trained,handled and bred GSDs and labs for twenty years. Labs are very very intelligent,trainable,stable nerves etc. The Field trial bred dogs are quite healthy and a 15yr old lab is not unusual. You will not see a GSD working much past 8. They are not known for living even close to a lab,golden or many other breeds. A fact. A person will get far more years of service out of other breeds. That is a fact. The only thing that a good GSD can do that a lab cannot is the protection work.
What do you mean by the term "heavily bred"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page