German Shepherd Dog Forums

German Shepherd Dog Forums (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/)
-   Germanshepherds.com Forum Support Help Desk (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/germanshepherds-com-forum-support-help-desk/)
-   -   Attention - Password and Security Update (https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/germanshepherds-com-forum-support-help-desk/651785-attention-password-security-update.html)

Administrator 06-14-2016 11:12 AM

Attention - Password and Security Update

Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management

DobbyDad 06-14-2016 11:58 AM

I hate changing passwords. I don't have Twitter, Facebook or linked in or any of the other crap. I don't want to have to change my password. I use this password only for this account. I shouldn't have to change my password because other people are not careful. Yet again people who are careful have to pay for those who are nots mistakes.

car2ner 06-14-2016 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DobbyDad (Post 7945073)
I hate changing passwords. I don't have Twitter, Facebook or linked in or any of the other crap. I don't want to have to change my password. I use this password only for this account. I shouldn't have to change my password because other people are not careful. Yet again people who are careful have to pay for those who are nots mistakes.

I agree that many of the hoops we have to jump through are there because of other peoples' choices. But life is not fair, so time to change a password.

If I can't use fluffy...how about theunfluffed1? :wink2:

dogma13 06-14-2016 01:10 PM

Fluffbegone

LuvShepherds 06-14-2016 01:23 PM

A long password we can't remember, sounds good to me. We should be using more complex passwords. But darn, I just changed mine.

wolfstraum 06-14-2016 05:27 PM

you can always add **** to yours! mine is so old it is unbelievable LOL LOL and has nothing to do with dogs

Stevenzachsmom 06-14-2016 06:07 PM

So weird. Who is this Helena? Exact same message on another breed board I belong too - also from Helena. Does Helena even own a dog? I wonder what kind.

Changing password? Probably not. When I can no longer log in - Bye all! I'll miss ya.

lhczth 06-14-2016 06:23 PM

Helena is an IT person for the owners of this and a number of other boards.

Dainerra 06-14-2016 06:47 PM

this really sucks. I hate sites that force you to change passwords.
It's bad enough dealing with the new format.

I hate sites with complex password rules.

This may be the straw that finally takes me from this site after over 12 years.

scarfish 06-14-2016 06:55 PM

what kinda damage can anyone do to me if they figure out my password? post a pic? it's not exactly my bank account or my taxes. the admins should be more focused on how easy it is for a program to create an account and flood the boards with spam. every morning i check recent posts and every single morning without a doubt there is like 10 new threads about dell computers or reddit.com.