Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 6 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #51 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 01:04 AM
Banned

There is a thing called a "triangulation scam" that I unknowingly became a part of.

I purchased Advantix II for my dog online. They were about 18.00 less than the competitor. I purchased thru Amazon.

I received the product fine but the invoice included inside was from a pet company and purchaser was in another name... bill 119.00 not the 58.00 I had paid in full by me.... (It was Dr's Smith and something). So I called them and asked them about the discrepancy.

They had me on hold for a few minutes until a supervisor could come to the line. She explained that a credit card had been stolen- an account acquisitioned on Amazon and I had completed "the triangle" as a 3rd party innocent purchaser.

I called my CC company and they said no problem- the victim's cc company would cover the loss. I asked Dr's Foster & Smith if I should send the product back and they said no keep it - our purchase dept should have caught the discrepancy. He was a nice guy so I questioned him further. Turns out, that if a cc # comes in for a purchase and the request is to ship to a 3rd party address NO ONE questions it. So they take the loss of the triangulation scam.

According to them and the internet - Walmart, everyone looses billions a year to this. It's all online - it's all with a breached password where they can access email and get a cc# and it's all ok with the cc companies - been a loss for years and they just recoup by charging us extra for being their cardholders... Google "triangulation scam credit cards internet".

Last edited by Stonevintage; 06-16-2016 at 01:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:58 AM

Some people just don't get the point. It's not that there aren't scams out there. It's that as adults we should be able to decide for ourselves what measures we take to protect ourselves. Not be forced into them on the whim of others.
selzer and Stevenzachsmom like this.

Jason

Albus "Dobby" Van Meerhout

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #53 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 07:17 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
I tried to explain it but apparently that counts for squat. The most vulnerable method of attack is getting into your email account and then accessing your personal data from there.

A simple google search will answer your questions on how a seemingly innocent blog site can lead to deep penetration on your personal data.....
that's why none of my passwords have anything in common with the other. this forum is in no way linked to my email account.

Again, someone forcing people to change their passwords isn't going to protect them more. Many people simply use the same password or a variation for everything when forced to do things like this.
Or they write down their passwords on a piece of paper or use one of the apps that tell you what your password is. Both of those are bigger security risks than me not changing my password here.
selzer and Stevenzachsmom like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 08:24 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I've deleted a bunch of off-topic posts. Let's keep this thread on the topic of password changes. And real questions - not just on-going whining.
cloudpump likes this.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #55 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

The yearly password expiration can be reevaluated if it causes a lot of issues when it happens, but for now it's an easy way to increase security here.

Kevin

For Admin support please post here:

post #56 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 11:20 AM
Banned

I've used "LastPass" for years .. I know my Master Password, I have no idea what my numerous other passwords are?? Works ot fine.

https://lastpass.com/
Mary Beth likes this.
post #57 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
I've used "LastPass" for years .. I know my Master Password, I have no idea what my numerous other passwords are?? Works ot fine.

https://lastpass.com/

Yep.

I've been using 1Password for years. Same sort of thing. I just have to remember the master password.
https://1password.com/features/
Chip18 likes this.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #58 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-16-2016, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

Having a program that saves your passwords, or uses the last password -- wouldn't that be a lot more security-risky. I mean, if they can hack your master password, then they have them all. Then being able to get to this site would mean being able to get to pay pal, and cc, bank accounts if you have them on line, insurance, government tax sites, and so forth.

If my keeping "Fluffy" as my password does not create a security risk for the site in general, for other people, than can't we just keep our password and take that risk?
If it compromised the site as a whole and other people's private, personal information, than I could understand it.

It sounds more like the people in charge of the site, are incorporating a new password program and have decided, or it requires, upper case, lower case, symbols and a number of characters. I vote for leaving well-enough alone, and changing to such a new system only if there has been some dire consequences due to weak passwords and internet hackers.

BTW, if I start spitting and swearing and threatening people's lives on here, then I am probably going to say it was my little brother on the computer I have over at Mom and Dad's whether or not all passwords are changed. I mean it isn't going to stop anyone from saying that someone else got on under their user name and was a jerk.

I guess I just don't understand the risk. My cc number is not associated to this account and if I did enter one 11 years ago, that cc is now expired and closed. My bank accounts are not. My e-mail is, but it has a different password, so no one can get into there, through here, with the ability to open e-mails, send e-mails, look at personal information or change my settings. All they could do is send me an e-mail.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #59 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-17-2016, 10:56 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
The yearly password expiration can be reevaluated if it causes a lot of issues when it happens, but for now it's an easy way to increase security here.

Kevin
I have a question regarding security on this site. Often, posters provide links to other sites for additional information or send PM's. Is it possible by opening the link or message - that malware, adware, virus or anything else can be unknowingly passed? Is there a chance that one or more posters whose computers are not well protected - could pass problems to others here (or on any other blog site for that matter)?

My last computer got so trashed out by a virus and "hostage ware" that it went to the garbage. I've since subscribed to a paid service for protection against these attacks. There isn't a month that's gone by in the last 2 years since having this service that the bells go off and a trojan or something else has tried my protection. The last one tried when I opened a simple news article on the MSN home page.
dogma13 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page