Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 4 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #31 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:33 PM
Crowned Member

Password. You've lived a good life. Your accomplishments are under appreciated and untold. You'll be missed.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 03:31 PM
Crowned Member

Well, I only use this password for this site. If they find my e-mail from this site, well, it has a different password. So does everything else. So my brain is filled up with 17 passwords (or more), and I am running out of brain cells to remember them all. I use more than one computer to do this stuff, so keeping a sticky-note with all my passwords with each computer makes even less sense if I am trying to be security minded.

So, instead of, "We are going to make EVERYONE change their password to something long and difficult to remember and type in" why not, "If you are concerned about your security here, we suggest you change your password to something, unique, long, complicated, and difficult to remember and type in."

Then all the paranoid people can change their passwords, and those of us who aren't so concerned, but are rather attached to Fluffy, do not have to euthanize him as a preventative measure.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #33 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 06:59 PM
Elite Member

YouTube (Short URL)
"> YouTube (Short URL)
" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350">

So this won't work?
selzer and MineAreWorkingline like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:32 PM

I use a password app. 1Password. For my computer and for my iPhone. Generates and stores my passwords. Easy peasy.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #35 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 07:39 PM
Crowned Member

I don't have an iphone.

I work with Linux at my parents' house, I would with windows at work. The library has Linux -- wouldn't use a password ap there no matter what. I don't have internet at home.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
post #36 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:00 PM

Seriously though. If we have to change our password at some point, put a sticky note on your desk. The likelihood of someone breaking into our houses and signing onto our GSD forum accounts is pretty slim I would think.

~ Diane ~

CARLY ......... Ch. Lauremi's No Reservations (AKC GCh pointed, HIC)
SCARLET ..... Lauremi's Almost Wasn't (AKC pointed)
and absent friends... SAGE ~ Lauremi's Whim Z v Jakmar ~ AKC major ptd, HIC ~ 2010-2015
post #37 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:14 PM
Crowned Member

Well I am excited! My password has C's in it. My keyboard has decided it doesn't like C's anymore. Now I get a new password! EXCITED!!!

post #38 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:19 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post
Seriously though. If we have to change our password at some point, put a sticky note on your desk. The likelihood of someone breaking into our houses and signing onto our GSD forum accounts is pretty slim I would think.
My cats would pick at it until it fell to the floor for the dogs to destroy or lose.
Stevenzachsmom and dogfaeries like this.
post #39 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:23 PM
Banned

It's very interesting to find people so reluctant to change their passwords Especially when it's really a pain to require by a site, it's no fun for them - but they are just trying to protect people.....

Those same people would probably be very concerned if they lost a credit card. But, the result can be the same.... or worse.

Year before last, remember when someone hacked "Target store" records? I may have bought some there once during the previous 5 years - yet I got the email and said my personal information was at risk... In addition to their apology- I received a 1 year paid subscription to a 3rd party ID theft protection insurance company, which I gladly enrolled in.

During that year.... someone in Los Angeles purchased a 28,000 car using my credit report... I didn't find out until 6 months ago.. when I went to get a loan on my house that Wells Fargo had a big issue with me. (lol - I had applied to Wells Fargo for the loan).

I called and talked to their theft prevention Mgr. We verified who I am (he on the computer with Nexis Lexis (a large well known internet security firm that banks use) me on the other end. Wrong name, wrong state resided in everything wrong.... Wells Fargo gave this young 22 year old hispanic female in LA 28 grand based solely on my social security number.....and of course she defaulted on the loan and is nowhere to be found....

This is the internet - it has it's weaknesses and it's strengths. I have a dozen different passwords too and I do not bank online... still they got thru.... Things run fast and loose due to competition to make loans, sell from c.card #'s only online... etc.

If you want to withdraw or complain about a site requiring a new password... maybe it's better that you do. You are probably more likely to post a link here that has the very hack bugs that can cause a problem. Protection on this site is just as important as any other site you visit that has your name, address and email....

Last edited by Stonevintage; 06-15-2016 at 08:33 PM.
post #40 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:27 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogfaeries View Post

Seriously though, my computers are not at home, where I live alone. So while this would work at home, (if I had internet access at home), this is not such a good idea where I use computers. Because while someone breaking into my house and getting into my computer isn't an issue, someone using the computer to screw around within my social media at work or at mom's, well, still not that big of a deal. My folks' kids are grown now, they live alone, and the people that visit are unlikely to mess with the laptop in the corner. And work, I drag that computer back and forth. If it got stolen from me, and I have the passwords all sitting there, well, I think I would have bigger fish to fry.

I don't want to change it because I know it. It has never been an issue, and I particularly liked Fluffy.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page