Attention - Password and Security Update - Page 3 - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 92Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:35 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post

When a site requires all members to change their passwords, it's usually because one or more members did get their account broken into. Last month, a member here reported that they believe this happened with their account.....

I think you mean me? My post regarding this matter from the other admin thread...

"Well. Here's a twist re: Spammers from I.P. address's originating in India.
I think I was hacked trough our Private messaging.
In an effort to help a forum member in a dire situation, I provided my first name (only) and my phone nember and asked her to text me.
About an hour later I received a phone call (hoping it was her). it was an automated message telling me to call back regarding an urgent financial matter...that it was not a survey or telemarketing.
I searched the so called company and number online. It appears to be a "phishing" scam originating out of India and Russia.
So. I called it back. No company given, just "collections" When I asked who/what this was about, the woman, who had an Indian accent promptly cut me off and asked if I was ____ ____ (first and last name).
Nope. She then asked if I knew ____ ____. Nope. She hung up.
My phone is NOT in my name"

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 08:57 AM
Crowned Member

FYI. The number I had called back before I researched online cost me $20 on my cell bill. A 5 sec. convo.
That number called me another 20x or so. I blocked the # first (it doesn't ring through or show as missed call, but is shown in my logs that they called), so they texted. I marked it in my texts as spam.
I haven't rec'd a call since May 27.

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion. - Unknown
post #23 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:13 AM
Banned

I have 2 messages that came into my messaging system here that appear to be in Russian or? I have no idea what they say. This was over a year ago and they're still there. I haven't responded to them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Crowned Member

I'm not sure why people are so upset about being asked to change a password. It's for your own protection, not theirs. If you are that set on a password, change it and then change it back. If they won't allow you to use it again, then find something close to the first one. Anyone who is that attached to a password has either never been hacked or is completely vulnerable on all your accounts. I had an email hacked that had a secure PW, so they must have had stolen the whole list.
post #25 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 09:39 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
I have 2 messages that came into my messaging system here that appear to be in Russian or? I have no idea what they say. This was over a year ago and they're still there. I haven't responded to them.
Did you report them to a moderator?
post #26 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:03 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Hey all,

Over the next few days we will be implementing some changes to our forum password strength and password expiration policies. To make sure you continue having the best experience possible on the community, we regularly monitor the site and the Internet to keep everyone's account information safe. We've recently become aware of a potential risk to some accounts coming from outside of this community. Just to be safe, we are implementing the following changes to improve security even further:

1) We are asking everyone to change their passwords (and will force a one time reset). Along with every user on the forum, new passwords will need to be more complex, and can't be simple words (sorry, you can't have "fluffy" as your password anymore!). Please use a password unique to this community. Reusing passwords can expose your account indirectly when other websites (Twitter, Linkedin, Badoo, etc) are compromised; and

2) Your passwords will expire on a 365 day basis. When you login on the 366th day, you will have to change it.

We'll also be sending out an email to users to let them know about the changes, in upcoming weeks.

Thanks all,

Helena

Community Management
I don't mind changing my password.

Can someone tell me how to make the change?
I looked quickly at User CP.
post #27 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:05 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findlay View Post
I don't mind changing my password.

Can someone tell me how to make the change?
I looked quickly at User CP.
Setting and Options in the User Control Panel. There is an edit password option.
post #28 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Found those 2 visitor message on your account and removed them. Just some unrelated spam.

Don't worry about changing your password now. The system will be enforcing a change for all users, so if you do so now, you'll have to do it again soon.

If your account gets compromised here, it can lead to compromised accounts elsewhere, perhaps with more sensitive info. This is an easy way to make sure that won't happen because of your presence here.

Helena does have a dog. She's a border collie, lab mix named Guinness and she's lovely.

And not that you asked, but I have an american bulldog named Porkchop who is a compressed ball of energy and muscle.

Kevin
Stonevintage likes this.

For Admin support please post here:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #29 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:07 PM
Crowned Member

TMI admin.

I don't have much listed in my profile because I do not think it is wise. Early on from this site I got an email bitching me out for a post I made regarding naming dogs with intimidating names then complaining because people were cautious around them. I watch what I open in my email. My passwords for sensitive sites are not related to the password I use here. I watch what I post here - you get little that IDs me. My dogs and I each have our "internet names" I post few if any photos.
Stevenzachsmom and DobbyDad like this.
post #30 of 59 (permalink) Old 06-15-2016, 01:24 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by middleofnowhere View Post
TMI admin.

I don't have much listed in my profile because I do not think it is wise. Early on from this site I got an email bitching me out for a post I made regarding naming dogs with intimidating names then complaining because people were cautious around them. I watch what I open in my email. My passwords for sensitive sites are not related to the password I use here. I watch what I post here - you get little that IDs me. My dogs and I each have our "internet names" I post few if any photos.
I agree. I use different passwords for different things. Sure, this is one site and one password. I am POA for someone and have an entire other list of sites, accounts and passwords. Changing and remembering one password? No biggie. The shear volume, if I have to change and remember them all? It's a headache. Write them down? I'd rather not. Kind of defeats the purpose of having a password.

Jan
Shelby 9-2-14
Natty Boh 6-27-12
Annie 1998 - 8-2-12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page