Coat length variations, what is the deal? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:00 PM Thread Starter

Coat length variations, what is the deal?

I have been doing some research on my next puppy and have found several breeders that routinely talk about discounts for coated (long coat) and talking about the coat length of puppies. This has led me to believe that at least some breeders are not very sure what is going to come out for coat lengths.

My question is this...It seems like breeders are fairly confident on size, color and temperament why isn't coat length just as easily predicted?

I am a former Rottie owner and currently own a APBT and an Amstaff so all coats are pretty much the same.

In any given litter how much variance is their?

Also a side question....How much difference is their between "Stock" coat and "Close Stock"?

Thanks for any info you have!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:21 PM
Knighted Member

Re: Coat length variations, what is the deal?

To produce a longcoat, both parents have to carry the recessive for it. Usually a coated puppy is easy to tell...I knew with my last litter before 3 weeks. Some dogs have a "show" coat, that really full but within the standard that you see often in the german showlines. Actually it can be seen in the workinglines also, the male I bred to in my last litter has a coat like that.
Now after Jan 1st supposedly the SV in Germany is going to recognize long coats again in their breed books. The coats will be shown in the breed ring in their own classes and can attain show ratings and Koer Klass again. So, they may not be discounted anymore. I don't think it's that difficult to tell the differences in pups.
Stock coat to me is a normal coat...a close coat is a really short, tight coat...sometimes people would refer to this as a mole coat.

Trish Campbell

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG Harley v Triton BH,AD,T-1,RN,CGC,HIC,HOT
VP Myth v Triton BH,TT, CGC, Branka SchH3, KKL-2
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Banned

i have a German import show dog. a coatie was in his litter. the breeder offered the coatie to me for $600.00 less than what i paid for my dog.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:01 PM Thread Starter

Great info. Are close coats rare, is it bred for or a mistake like long coats?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Knighted Member

Dogbuddy, longcoats are not a mistake. It is another GSD type presented to us by Mother Nature - just one that is not recognized (yet) in breed rings. And IMO that is their loss (same with the White GSD BTW) and the reason many breeders put huge discounts on them. But some of the best looking GSD's I've seen are long coats-again my opinion.

Samuel

Lancer 05/01/08
Tory 09/19/14

Kayla (RIP) 02/12/05-09/22/14
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

sorry..poor choice of words on my part. I should have said "unplanned out come"
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:35 PM
Elite Member

From all I have learned (I own a coatie) it is a recessive gene so both parents must carry it and "throw" it. Remember basic gene diagrams from middle school science. They are other wise the same. In my case It was lucky for me. He was sold until it became obvious he was coated and so was available when I contacted his breeder. Yea me. He is a super dog with a great temperment and good drive.
Very few breeders are SURE unless they know both dogs are not carriers of the long gene.
Just FYI Rotties also carry long coats interesting dogs to see too.

Laurie and the furkids Chaya CGC, Zander, and
Var (Ingvar vom Eichenluft), CGC, BH, FD
Feliz, Cody, Oki & Aja gone but never forgotten.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-01-2008, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Wow...never saw one (goes off to google)
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Everett54Dogbuddy, longcoats are not a mistake. It is another GSD type presented to us by Mother Nature - just one that is not recognized (yet) in breed rings. And IMO that is their loss (same with the White GSD BTW) and the reason many breeders put huge discounts on them. But some of the best looking GSD's I've seen are long coats-again my opinion.
Considering the *working* heritage of the GSD breed, there are very valid reasons for considering some coat types faulty.

The standard stock coat is the most maintenance free and weather resistent. This is why it is the preferred coat type and the only type allowed under the standard.

A very short stock coat, with little to no undercoat, called a "close coat" or "mole coat" is faulty because the lack of undercoat provides less insulation against heat and cold and less water resistance. Things that are important to a dog working outside in all sorts of weather.

The true long coat (without an undercoat) has the same problem. Lack of water resistence and insulation. Plus, the long outer coat is more prone to matting, picking up burrs, etc... if the dog is out running around in fields or woods all day.

The long stock coat (long coat with an undercoat) used to be accepted under the standard, and in 2009 it will be accepted again, though was still never considered desireable, only permissable. The presence of undercoat ensures proper insulation and water reistence, but that longer outer coat still means more chance of matting, burrs, etc... compared to a standard stock coat. So while a dog with a long stock coat working outside in all sorts of weather wouldn't be as handicapped as a mole coat or long coat, it is still not as low maintenance as a standard stock coat.

The bias against coats is not some elitest nitpicky attitude. It is respect for the breed standard. And the coat requirements of the breed standard are not there for some arbitrary reason or because someone just didn't like them. They are there for a very GOOD reason when we consider the origin, heritage and purpose of this breed. The fact that 99% of GSDs are now pets and no longer all weather working dogs is not a valid reason to throw out the standard because the standard is what defines the breed and makes a GSD a GSD.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-02-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter

Very well said
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page