can someone tell me what it means...... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

can someone tell me what it means......

I wasn't where to post this or if this is the right spot to ask this, but what does it mean for a dog to have weak nerves? and what is the result of a dog having weak nerves?

Jessica
Annie- 3 yo GSD
Beowulf- 1 yo GSD
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 11:13 PM
Knighted Member

Re: can someone tell me what it means......

I want to know this too.

I read it on another thread.

I think Wisc. Tiger has a dog that has this.

I was wondering if I did too.

I think it just means they are afraid of a lot of things....I could be wrong though!

Hope you get an answer soon!

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 11:21 PM
Crowned Member

My understanding of the term is that it means the dog is born with a temperament that makes him fearful, skittish, or even agressive at times when a normal GSD would not show those reactions.

I guess you could say it's like a mental illness. It's not something that the dog can help, or has control of. I think a dog can have a bad case of weak nerves, or just a little. In the wrong hands and in the wrong situation, a dog with weak nerves that lashes out in fear agression could be very dangerous.

Training, socializing and conditioning to situations can help improve the way a dog responds--whether they have "weak nerves" or not, IMO. But a truly weak nerved dog is one that you might not ever trust 100% how they will respond to a stressful situation. A good breeder wouldn't breed a dog that showed evidence of weak nerves.

I'm sure there are breeders/experts here that could explain it better. But that's my understanding of what it means.

Tracy
St. Louis, MO

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Luca says, "Arf!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 11:25 PM
Crowned Member

Weak Nerves in dogs can display in many different ways.

I have a weak nerved dog that has huge sound sensitivity problems. She doesn't have strong enough nerves to handle many routine noises. Something happened when the genes were matching up that things just didn't come out right for her.

There are more but I am tired tonight, so I thought I would give your one example.

Val

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 11:33 PM
Knighted Member

Thanks Val.
Not to hyjack the thread, OP.

I have only had Shadow for 7 months, he has gotten over some things but new fears come up too.
He is never aggressive, at all. He just wants away from the new thing or sound.
My son was blowing bubbles outside today, he just wanted away, I made him stay next to me, so he could see it was OK, he buried his head behind my legs, and left the first chance he got.
He might be just unknowing because he is young and a rescue.
I am not sure yet.
The strongest thing he has done is lay on his side and pee.
I am tired too, good night. There's always tommorrow!

~Kelly
Shelby (Tabby cat, 14 yrs old)
Lady (Golden Retrive Spaniel mix, 10 yrs old)
Bella (Beagle 8 yrs old)
Shadow (GSD 4 yrs old)
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thanks all!

Jessica
Annie- 3 yo GSD
Beowulf- 1 yo GSD
Highplains Christmas Shimmer- Noel
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted By: Daisy1986Thanks Val.
Not to hyjack the thread, OP.

I have only had Shadow for 7 months, he has gotten over some things but new fears come up too.
He is never aggressive, at all. He just wants away from the new thing or sound.
My son was blowing bubbles outside today, he just wanted away, I made him stay next to me, so he could see it was OK, he buried his head behind my legs, and left the first chance he got.
He might be just unknowing because he is young and a rescue.
I am not sure yet.
The strongest thing he has done is lay on his side and pee.
I am tired too, good night. There's always tommorrow!
Some of this can be the dogs age- he is still a baby and has a lot to learn. INstead of forcing him to stay try a happy tone like "awe that is nuttin to worry about and move him past it and onto something positive.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 AM
dd
Crowned Member

I agree that forcing the issue is unlikely to work. What you need to do is build confidence and desensitise slowly. When got my rescue, everything was new to him and he was often afraid - loud noises were the worst. I had him out for a walk and they were roofing one street over - he wanted to run home. We did go home that day but came closer the next day, and moved away at a measured pace. It took a long time, but now he will walk right by a roofing job or someone slamming things into a dumpster and not even seem to notice. You will need to be patient, but I am sure it will improve with baby steps.

dd

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 08:49 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

The term "weak nerves" can mean a lot of things depending on what definition the person using it has for it. But typically it refers to a dog who is skittish or fearful and can't handle pressure. Dogs who show shy, skittish or fear aggressive behavior in inappropriate situations would be weak nerved. It's genetic. While it can be improved somewhat through training and socialization, these things just cover it up and give the dog some coping skills to deal with his fears. It can't be made to go away entirely.

post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 09-10-2008, 09:07 AM

My dog has aggresive behavior. he is loyal to family, but not just anyone can walk in, or else will be bit. she is 4 years old. my ex never got her the proper training. Is it to late to do so?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page