Breeding and Megaesophagus - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Breeding and Megaesophagus

Should a dog with megaesophagus be bred? Any evidence to prove autosomal recessive inheritance in GSD?

Carla and The Pack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 09:57 PM
Crowned Member

Re: Breeding and Megaesophagus

http://www.caninemegaesophagus.org/G...sposition.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Cheyenne-2/02 DeeDee Little Bit-6/02 Lakota-1/03 Raya-9/05
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:23 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Yes, it's genetic and continued breeding needs to be discouraged. This condition is very prevalent in our breed (my Elsa has it).

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/megaesophagus.html

http://www.vin.com/VINDBPub/SearchPB...00/PR00133.htm

http://www.videxgsd.co.uk/gastrointestinal.htm

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:26 PM
Crowned Member

A sometime board member I know had a pup with mega...and I know that another pup a year old died from complications from it who had alot of the same pedigree. Lots of AKC Champions in the line, and GV lines.

No, they should not be bred.

Lee

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-14-2008, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

American GV lines in this dog also. Obviously few are minding the advice not to breed again a dog who has ever produced a megaE.

Course, have seen it in other lines also.

Dreadful condition but its very likely genetic component does not stop many from continuing to maintain it in lines. Its rating for undesirability of genetic defect---severe. And then to breed a dog with the actual deformity???,
I am verklempt.

Carla and The Pack
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 09:12 AM
Crowned Member

One of my dogs' grandmother was said to have produced mega-e pups. And one of the pups in my dog's litter had mega-e.
This dog was a german import.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 10:56 AM
Crowned Member

Samba, I am not versed in breeding whatsoever, however, I do have personal experience with congenital Mega-E in a GSD which I would like to share.

Before we got into rescue of GSDs, our Max and Koia came from a breeder (excellent West German lines - their mother is a direct import from West Germany and their father is from a well known/reputable breeder of West German VA & V rated show lines). The breeder did not breed Max and Koia’s parents again after confirmation of Max’s congenital primary Mega-E.

Out of the litter of 9, my Max was the only long hair, the only one with EPI (also common in GSDs) and the one with congenital primary Mega-E. The EPI was strictly a life maintenance issue that was treatable and was under control.

The Mega-E was a battle from Day 1. Cornell looked at the radiographs and said Max’s case was one of the worst they had seen. We were fortunate enough to have a wonderful, knowledgeable, vet, as well as the resource of Cornell.

Every day Max had to eat his "mush" vertically. He could not run as long/as hard as his fur siblings, he could not have free water, he could not have certain treats, he had to have his temperature monitored to watch for the first signs of aspiration pneumonia, he had to take medicine every day. Yet, Max was a happy, extremely loving boy every day of his short life.

Even with all the care and precautions above, I had to let my Max go to the Bridge on 2.12.07. He was at Cornell for severe complications from Mega-E - aspiration pneumonia and his stomach had started to come up through his esophagus. We were discussing a feeding tube, however, Max's lungs were not strong enough for Max to recover (4 episodes of aspiration pneumonia had taken a terrible toll on his lungs).

So I said goodbye to my Max one month before his 3rd birthday. Hardest moment of my life without question.

Currently, there is no cure for congenital primary Mega-E*. I asked the doctors at Cornell about a cure and they said it would probably take an esophagus replacement and that is no where near on the horizon.

I would not take back my years with Max for anything. However, with what is known at this point in time, medically and management wise, to knowingly breed a dog with Mega-E (or even to not have her/him spayed/neutered**) is simply irresponsible and uncaring. Breeding is a monumentaly responsbility and science. In my opinion, there is no reason whatsoever to breed a dog with known Mega-E.

*Now, there are several other reasons a dog can have a Mega-E and you can read about those in the links cited above. I was fortunate enough to have a foster come into my life 5 months after Max’s passing that had PRAA, secondary Mega-E. She was able to have surgery at Cornell to correct the PRAA and she is now adopted and living a happy normal life (although she still does eat vertically)!!

**Dogs with Mega-E can/should be neutered/spayed, as long as precautions are taken regarding aspiration.

Darcy E. Drons
Intake Coordinator/Shelter Liaison
<span style="color: red">Big Dogs, Big Hearts Rescue Inc. ("BDBH")</span>
Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(work in progress)
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 12:08 PM
Crowned Member

Darcy, would you be able to post any info on the pedigree? Or by PM?
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-16-2008, 01:32 PM
Crowned Member

Trying to find a loving home for this sweetie...it was suggested I put the link here in case any of you can spread the word......

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...gonew=1#UNREAD

Mya-Queen GSD Love you always and forever!
Ava - Princess GSD
Cheyenne-GSD I will never forget you sweet girl.We were blessed to have you in our lives
Buddy-Sweet lap cat - Forever in my heart.
Baby - Crazy cat
Spencer - Eclectus parrot
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 07-17-2008, 10:14 AM
Crowned Member

gagsd_pup1/Mary: I will PM the information to you when I get home from the office.

Darcy E. Drons
Intake Coordinator/Shelter Liaison
<span style="color: red">Big Dogs, Big Hearts Rescue Inc. ("BDBH")</span>
Email:

(work in progress)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page