Black? Sable? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:27 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Black? Sable?

I pulled this off the pedigree data base, interested in the thoughts here.
I know that breeding blues and livers is a no-no, just curious on the "black" pup's coloring. Is it a dilution? Is she a sable?

http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/gsd/...ad/204581.html

almost 4 mos old

Pup's page on breeder's website
http://www.loujuangsd.net/photo3_2.html

Dante - March 2004
Kaos von Wolfstraum Oct 2011

"Today is tomorrow's time machine" ~ Dr G ~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:34 AM
Crowned Member

Re: Black? Sable?

That's an interesting one. So, looks like her dad is black and carries the gene for the blue dilution. Mom is sable. Still trying to figure out what colors mom is carrying... wish they had pics on their site!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 01:42 AM
Crowned Member

I can't find pictures of her grandparents on mom's side but with a name like "ebony" I'm going to assume her maternal grandmother was also black which would make her mom heterozygous - one allele for sable and one allele for black.

So... if I had to guess, I'd say the puppy in question is genetically black and that that "sable" coloration is actually something more like the tan legged bleed through you sometimes see in black GSDs (not to be confused with bicolor). I think if she'd gotten the sable allele from mom she'd be the normal dark sable that we see a lot.

I'm wondering if being a carrier for the blue factor would contribute to the bleed through or if the blue thing is just straight up recessive and you don't see it unless they're homozygous. I don't know enough about how the dilution factors work genetically to say. Chris will probably know though.

Neat looking dog but not what I'd call a "black sable."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 02:54 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Not really sure what to guess with this pup. Though I have seen a bicolor pup with similar 'fading' around the neck despite being solid black there as a babe (and he's only 7 or 8 months old now).

My guess would be black, however, based on her appearence as a young pup. If she were sable, she'd probably appear 'grey' and then darker as she got older. But she's solid black as a youngster and seems to have faded as she aged.

The way she's faded, however, she reminds me a lot of my Mutt, Risa. Except Risa is sable.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 08:30 AM
Crowned Member

I saw that on the db. Absolutely flippin' gorgeous. Isn't there a member here who owns a dog that has that sort of color?

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 09:45 AM
Crowned Member

Here's a thread on Anna: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post640634

In that thread is a link to a dog in Belgium that has similar coloring to her.

Here is RLWolf's dog: https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...e=1#Post615442

Trend? Like black sables in general? (is that trendy-I think so-JMO!) Breeding for color-blah...luckily, at least, for most black sables they seem to be coming from dogs who are health and temperament tested for the most part.

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 10:08 AM
Crowned Member

It is strange to me how some people call them a sable, yet there is at least one dog the exact same color that has NO sables in the first 6 generations. So OBVIOUSLY it is NOT a sable. (And the breeder of this dog does NOT call it a sable, as they know that it is genetically impossible.)

Tracy

Siren vom Banach { Sable female GSD 3-20-08}

R.I.P. Wrangler male ACD/Aussie mix. 9-29-99 to8-29-11.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:37 AM
Moderator who has gone to the dogs

My first guess was a black with poor pigment.

Lakota, Chimo, Tika, Rayne, Kanuck, Jethro and Keyzah

My Angels forever in my heart and watching over us:
Phoenix 9/07
Kaylee Cheyenne 5/09
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-15-2008, 02:55 AM
Crowned Member

That's a very interesting color. I'm not sure what you would call it.

That breeder's page is ... let's just say "interesting" as well.

Malinois Ronja - fastest K-9 in VT
=^^= Finn, Ratchet & Ollie

-
-

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Crowned Member

The second picture of Bella could be a picture of my rescue boy. Identical color. I thought he was a black sable, but I noted no banding on the hairs.

Joan
Mom to:
Kitchi Spitz Mix
Sasha: Dutchie
Fizban: BGSD Rescued 7/11/08
Louie: Fluffy Fat Kitty
Bob: Loud Siamese
Tasselhoff: Blk & White Tuxedo
Pugsley Tank Butt: Tabby Tuxedo

George RIP (5/16/07)
Yukon RIP (11/23/09)
Squeek: Fat head kitty RIP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page