BGSD turn sable? (pics included) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:06 PM Thread Starter

BGSD turn sable? (pics included)

Okay so when I got Freyja at 8wks, she was solid black, (except a small white spot on chest, but thats not relevant). She remained this way until about 10 months. Around this time she started developing tan shading on the backs of her front legs and bracelet type markings around her back legs. This all seems very normal, as I hear a lot of BGSD get this.

On the other hand, recently since I've been bathing and grooming her myself regularly, I've noticed some odd coat patterns. To the casual observer, (and my camera) she appears to be solid black, aside from the tan shading mentioned above. However spread out all over her body she has sable hairs. Where they are black at the root and tip, but tan/white in the center. (see pic below)

This is most noticeable in her tail, but I've also seen it through out her coat, on her back, shoulders, hips.

Both of her parents are solid black. Her dad at least is advertised as such... and looks it.

and her mom I've actually seen. The only hair that wasn't black on her was around her muzzel she was turning grey...

Now looking at her pedigree (link) most of her recent parentage is solid black, with a couple of sables in there. OR at least whats pictured.

So I guess my question is could this be her turning sable? I mean I don't really think it will ever be really noticeable to the casual observer, but I wonder if she will continue to lighten all over? Sorry if this is a stupid question, but genetics has never really been my strong point.

Purely out of curiosity, Freyja is spayed so I'm not breeding her or anything. I'm just really curious. I hope I clarified enough

proudly owned and loved by

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Freyja -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

always and forever
from this life to the next
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Crowned Member

Re: BGSD turn sable? (pics included)

There was a recent thread describing how some genetically black dogs will have tan on them. Looking at the parents, I'm pretty sure your dog is genetically a solid black (black parents can only produce black offspring in the GSD). If you ask the litter what color all the pups in the litter were, I'm sure she'd say they were all black.

Renji - 6 y/o M GSD x chow rescue

"German shepherd dog breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German shepherd dog breeding." -v. Stephanitz
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-2008, 11:43 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to DancingCavy Send a message via MSN to DancingCavy Send a message via Yahoo to DancingCavy

Two black dogs can only produce black offspring. So I would assume she's just having some 'bleed through' which is common with black dogs. She is gorgeous, btw.

~Jamie~
Risa W-FDM/MF RA RL1 (AoE) CA CGC WCX

(Risa's Blog)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-10-2008, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

Thanks.. I just thought it odd is all

proudly owned and loved by

Freyja -

always and forever
from this life to the next
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 02:35 AM
Lin
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Lin Send a message via Yahoo to Lin

Yep, she's still black not sable. I've seen some solid black dogs that looked almost sable but weren't. In my uneducated opinion, I'd think its similar to the tan hairs on a solid black saddle or blanket?

member in education and Service Dog Handler.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Administrator & Alpha Bitch of the Wild Bunch

Genetically she's solid black. She's exhibiting "bleed through" which is just incomplete expression of black pigment. It's less common in blacks with 2 black parents, but not unheard of.

One of our blacks, Kali, has bleed through as well. On Kali, the bleed through didn't develop until she was 5 or 6 years old. When she was younger, she was completely solid black, then as she aged it started appearing first between her toes and then elsewhere on her legs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page