Black noses in White Shepherds - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Black noses in White Shepherds

I have heard in the past that a solid black nose in a white shepherd is more desirable than any other color, such as brown or pink. I was talking to a friend last night who has a white shepherd just as I do. Her shepherd's nose started out black, but now at 2 yrs. old, it is pink. My dogs nose is still black, but he's less than a year old. Our dogs are not related. So, we were wondering...is my puppy's nose going to change colors too? Or will it stay black? And if it does change, does that change his quality as a wgsd?

gina

Stella~Sable GSD
Trophy~White GSD
Buddha~Black&Tan GSD
Macho~Great Dane
Luke~Boxer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 02:53 PM

Re: Black noses in White Shepherds

Ive heard the same thing.... Hannah's nose did the same thing. Her nose was solid black until she was a year to a year and a half. Now its 70% pink. Does this happen to all wgsds? Hannah wasnt a cheap pup!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM Thread Starter

That's exactly what I was wondering...if it happens to all of them or not. I was pretty sure I had seen pictures of other adult wgds whose noses appeared to be black, but now I'm beginning to wonder. I also just adopted two adult wgds (less than a week ago) and I went out to examine their noses, and they are not pink, but not black either. They have a brown tint to them, especially on the very top of the nose. I'm hoping someone with more experience with wgds will pitch in and educate us.

gina

Stella~Sable GSD
Trophy~White GSD
Buddha~Black&Tan GSD
Macho~Great Dane
Luke~Boxer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:45 PM

Ill try to track down a pic of hannahs nose later..... Its kinda pink kinda black, it fades.

Anyone out there know??
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:52 PM

With white shepherds good pigment is desired - occasionally you will get dogs with snow nose - and that is okay, but a fully black nose is more desired tha that - and usually it is even better when the white extends all the way up the nose.

However - Liver and Blue noses are a DQ with most white shepherds and white GSDs. (however...I have never actually seen a liver or blue nosed white O.o)

Pretty much all the standards like as much black pigment as you can get (the ears, eyes, nose, lips, pads and nails). This is my girl - and she is a pretty good example of excellent pigment.

Here is an example of a snow nose :

(this picture isnt great - but on the nose you can see the black pigment is somewhat faded.

here's another of faded pigment / snow nose :

With snow nose it become very black again in the summer, and pales out in the winter

With dogs with actual faded pigment that is not prefered over dogs with good pigment. With dogs who are missing black over the majority of their nose or their whole nose, that is a DQ...having a really pink nose is usually not well liked either.

Once I get back home (I am at Newark Liberty International right now) I have a picture of a dog with severe snow nose (in switzerland I am fairly certain as bad as she has it it is a breeding dq).

Hope that helps

~Cate
Thecowboysgirl likes this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Crowned Member

From talking to my breeder who has some whites, she said the darker pigment is preferred...the darker pigment referring to a black nose, and I think she said around the eyes. She has older whites with dark noses and 'eyeliner'.
Rosa
I should add that this is what she breeds for, it has nothing to do with the quality of the dog.

Rosa

Mom to;
Shiloh, 8.5 year old LCGSD
Shoshona, 7.5 year old LCGSD
Eli, 5 year old LCGSD

Every dog deserves to have a human that thinks they are the greatest dog that ever lived!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 04:13 PM

Benny's parents (if I remember right) had dark noses. I can't remember if they were just brown or actually black.
He was the only one in the litter with a 100% black nose, though.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 05:18 PM

Very interesting, thanks for the info!

Maesi GSD/Lab mix 11/21/07

+ 2 kids (3 and 1) + Husband
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 07:55 PM
Master Member

yes one of the mysteries of white German Shepherds. Why do their noses lighten up? My boy Axson's noses is solid black most of the year but lighten up some during the winter. The best explanation I have read is that it is related to sun exposer. Here are a couple of links to the white Shepherd Genetic project on this subject.

http://www.wsgenetics.info/snow_nose3.htm

http://www.wsgenetics.info/snow_nose4.htm

Stacy
---------------------

In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn't merely try to train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming partly a dog.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Here are pictures of my dogs:The first one is of my boy Trophy. The other two dogs are actually his parent dogs that we just adopted. You may not be able to tell, but their noses have a brown tint to them, so I was wondering if Trophy's nose will end up like theirs, since he is their son? Sorry for the poor pictures. They're all I could come up with at the moment.

gina

Stella~Sable GSD
Trophy~White GSD
Buddha~Black&Tan GSD
Macho~Great Dane
Luke~Boxer
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page