GSD Color Coat Chart - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

GSD Color Coat Chart

I've made a text-selectable Adobe Acrobat version of my color coat chart available.

http://www.ehretgsd.com/GSDcolorGenes.pdf

Explanation of it's use can be found at http://www.ehretgsd.com/genetics.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:02 PM
Elite Member

Re: GSD Color Coat Chart

The chart is wonderful, thanks a lot. Do I understand that there is one locus for coat color with four alleles: a, as, at, and aw with aw dominant(partially?) to everything else, as dominant to at and a, and at dominant to a? I guess I should look at your explanation. Anyway it's great. Mary Jane
willoglen likes this.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 01:26 PM Thread Starter

You've probably explained it better than I have [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif[/img] There is, however some debate that the bicolor ("at" allele) is not actually determined in the agouti locus. But for all intents and purposes, this melanistic feature is included "supposedly" without affecting the reliability of the chart.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 04:07 PM
Crowned Member

Looks good, but the white letters are kinda hard to read. Just a thought, but nicely done!

Angela

Hardy, Diesel, Jet, Denial v. Zioner Berg, Iris & Patches the cats
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-22-2006, 07:33 PM Thread Starter

Angela,

Good idea [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/03_wink.gif[/img] I outlined the white lettering with shadow (no other color seemed to stand out any better). If you go to the page and refresh you should see a difference. Probably best viewed at about 150% magnification.

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 02:37 PM
Master Member

Nevermind--answered my own question. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/01_smile.gif[/img] Cool chart, btw.

Melissa

Iris vom Oldenburg -- 12/26/05

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 01:03 AM

Hmmmmmmmm

Well ok I suck at reading thisLOL. I have a (black)Sable, both sire and dam are Sable. On sire side grandsire is a (black) Sable and Granddam is a Bicolor. On dam side the grandsire is black/tan and granddam is a Sable. With this info can one determine what type(aw+aw, ect) of Sable my dog is?
If one wanted to breed for a specific color how do you determine what color to breed to what? DISCLAIMER: I am not a breeder and have no intentions of breeding.
Thanks

Ark von Ochs Stellt 5/29/09--10/30/12

"German Shepherd breeding is working dog breeding or it is not German Shepherd breeding." Max Von Stephanitz
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 03:02 PM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to EastGSD
Re: Hmmmmmmmm

Your puppy is either Sable carrying Sable, Sable carrying black, or Sable carrying black and tan.....it is not that easy to figure out due to the presence of the Bi color bitch...they usually carry black so you do not know what the sire inherited from his dam, black or black and tan....do you know what the other colors were that appeared in your pups litter?

Why do you say your puppy is a black sable? Do you have photos of him you can share? Especially of his legs feet and stomach area? lol

owned by:

GSDs
Emma and her GerMercian kid
Tobe

And Doxies' Abby and Charlie my Service dude
and Stan and Castor the parrots
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 03:06 PM
Crowned Member

OK, I went and looked at your photobucket bucket page lol I would agree he is a black sable...with my hypothisis I feel he is a sable carrying black. I say this because I feel that black sables are actually sables carrying black that also inherited the bi-color patterning.....my guess is that if he were bred to a black bitch you would get nothing but sables and blacks.

JMO
Cherri

owned by:

GSDs
Tobe

post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-30-2006, 04:07 PM
Crowned Member

Ok me again lol I went and looked at your boy's pedigree and it notes colors....it looks like his sire was a Black and tan from a sable sire and a black and tan dam that had a black sire (so we know the gene was there as the your dog's sire was black and tan and had to carry black...now the dam was sable with a black dam so we know for certian that the dam carried black...so the available color genes to your boy were sable, black and black and tan...but two possible chances of the black gene...based on his coloring I would say he is sable carrying black (sorry if this post is all out of wack I was interupted by a phone nutrition consult and now I forget where I was going with this lol)

owned by:

GSDs
Tobe

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page