7Likes
  • 1 Post By Jchrest
  • 4 Post By Jax08
  • 2 Post By wolfstraum

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-18-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Coat Color Prediction

Sire is Solid black , with dark(black) sable Dad and Mom

Dam is Dark (black) sable, with bicolor black and Tan Dad and dark (black) sable mom

I am guessing there could be solid blacks and dark sables, but I am curious how the dam's sire, black and tan bicolar could make an impact in color genes, if any. Any ideas? Color genes are so interesting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 12:15 AM
Master Member

Probably only sable, bicolour, or black.

There wonít be any Black and Tan because neither of the parents were, and Black and Tan is dominant over bicolour.

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-19-2019, 01:12 AM
Master Member

Rollo's parents were both sable; he turned out sable. I'm sure your pup will be (dark) sable

Rollo: Viking & 1st ruler of Normandy | D.O.B. | 11-27-2017
Chuck (me): |23 Years Old|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Interesting! Thank you for the responses!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:44 PM
Crowned Member

It depends on what the mother Carrie's. The sire can only pass black. What's the pedigree?

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-20-2019, 10:51 PM
Master Member

I met a GSD a couple of weeks ago that was an adult “black” shepherd. She was solid black, but had the lower half of her legs patterned like a sable, but positioned like a bi. It was very interesting to see. I didn’t ask any questions, because that means I would have to actually talk to someone, but I was very curious how that happened. I know nothing of pedigrees, and my head spins trying to figure it out, so I leave it to the professionals! If I had to guess, I’d say dark sable.
xxluna likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-21-2019, 09:09 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxluna View Post
Sire is Solid black , with dark(black) sable Dad and Mom

Dam is Dark (black) sable, with bicolor black and Tan Dad and dark (black) sable mom

I am guessing there could be solid blacks and dark sables, but I am curious how the dam's sire, black and tan bicolar could make an impact in color genes, if any. Any ideas? Color genes are so interesting.

Sire: a/a
He can only pass an "a" black gene

Dam: aw/??

The dam's other color gene is unknown. Obviously she got the sable gene "aw" from her mother. But the father has two color genes, the one you see and the one that is recessive that he passed to his daughter. Either of these genes can be passed to her puppies.

For instance, my boy is a sable. His father was black (a/a) and his mother was sable who carried black (aw/a). We know this because her father was black and could only have passed an "a" gene to her). So he is also aw/a

My girl is black/tan. Her mother is sable who carries black (aw/a) and her father was black and tan and can only carry black/tan (as/as) by looking at his pedigree. She's a black/tan who carries black. (as/a)

I'm sure there will be sables because that is a dominant color. There could be blacks if the dam carries black thru her sire because he could carry it repressively. But her sire could also carry another "at" gene. So it looks like your options are

Sable : aw/??
Black (if the recessive she carries is black): a/a
OR
Bi-color (if the recessive she carries is bi-color): at/a

Color Genetics in German Shepherds
Femfa, Chuck94!, cvamoca and 1 others like this.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the super helpful information Jax08!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-23-2019, 11:00 PM
Crowned Member

Color, pigment and pattern are 3 separate components.

You have to know the recessives to know what colors are possible. I had a sable female whose sire was black, so she was easy....she carried for black. Bred to sables 3 times, she produced sables and blacks in 2 litters, and in the 3rd litter there was 1 black and tan who may have been a bi color. Bred to Zender Lusondai, she produced black, sable and black and tan....so Zender, a black and tan carried black recessive, A black female from that litter produced all three colors as well. A black female I imported, bred to a sable produced sable and bi color - thus the sire carried black and tan/bi rather than black recessive.

One sable female I had bred to a black and tan who was somewhere between a saddle and a blanket pattern produced sables who patterned out to sable saddles. Very light tan with light sable saddles....and the female was a pretty decently pigmented dog.

A black sable female bred to sable male gave me all medium sable pups. One of that litter when bred to a dark sable produced super dark black sables and normal gray sables...another of the litter only produces sables - from 4 litters produced from black female, all are sables - some black sables (like his dam) and some normal pigmented more like his sire...the genetics for the depth of color varied in the litter even though all were sables. Some litters had all dark/black sables, some had a mixture of lighter and dark.
cvamoca and xxluna like this.

Hexe Sch2, Komet & Kougar IPO1, Kira HGH, SG Bengal, Lynx v Wolfstraum ~ Ziberia IPO1 ~ ATB Basha, Kougar & Kyra, Fenja, Sch3s, Cito, Sch2, DangerRH, Csabre & Alice Sch1s ~Kelsey
wolfstraum.net
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page