Where's the Liver and Tan GSDs at?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 07:03 PM Thread Starter

Wink Where's the Liver and Tan GSDs at??

New to site/ first time GSD owner.

New pup, Wrigley is 8 weeks old. Mom was a short hair, sable and dad was a long hair, black and red. He was one of 11 pups and only two male (Rigs) and female were liver and tan. From what I've read its a "default color" or genetic pigment issue.

Regardless, I find them beautiful! Looking for more Liver and Tan GSDs out there!
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:02 PM
Elite Member

Cute pup. Genetics happen. As long as the breeder isn't selecting for these genetics, nothing wrong with getting one. Breeders that specials in any one given trait are to be avoided in my mind.

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks! From what the breeder told us, she’s had a liver and tan once before in another litter, but the rest have been Black and Tan, some long hair some short. I love all the colors of GSD. I’ve actually never seen a liver and tan before until now.

Last edited by fur_mom3; 01-15-2019 at 08:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 09:34 PM
Master Member

Beautiful fluffy pup! So stinking cute. Liver is considered a faulty colour in that it has poor pigment - the breed is meant to have strong, dark pigmentation. So browns are just a really weak black, to simplify it. It's why they tend not to be common unless you stumble across a breeder that breeds for specific colour type like Eddie mentioned. Generally, those specialty breeders have a lot of red flags and you should try to avoid them because they'll breed for colour at the expense of health.

I don't think you'll come across many on the forums who have a liver, so please feel free to spam us with pictures, haha!

The world would be a nicer place if everyone had the ability to love as unconditionally as a dog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Kona
2017/03/19

"Ryka" Joule von Wendelin
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-15-2019, 10:17 PM

I love your pups name. My boyfriend called our pup Mrs. Wriglesby until she was about 5 months old (she was all wiggly all the time). Enjoy him while he's small, it doesn't last.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:31 AM Thread Starter

Femfa —Wow! I didn’t know they were that rare? I read is was a default/ genetic pigment issue and the breeder explained it to me too when I asked. The breeder advised for whatever reason mom has had one other liver and tan in a previous litter but the rest were Black and Tans. With Rigs’ litter there were two liver and tans, him and a female. I dont thing the breeder is breeding specifically for liver and tans by any means. She mentioned the Black and Tans definitely get reserved quickly.

I am wondering about his coat. Would you say that is short or long? I’ve read in another thread, two LC make LC. Mom was SC and Dad was LC. So is the SC recessive? Maybe he’s in the middle and he’s all sort of “special” coloring and coat 🤣 Eh, He’s one handsome boy in my eyes!

Last edited by fur_mom3; 01-16-2019 at 07:36 AM.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 07:33 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Mareesey! Yeah, I was thinking of names and hubby put his foot down and it was Wrigley or Wrigley 🤣 I was on the fence with Wrigley or Ryker. However, with his personality Wrigley or “Rigs” is what I call him most definitely suits him!
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 08:55 AM
Crowned Member

Many breeders will discontinue breeding a dog that produces significant faults.
But that’s neither here nor there - live and learn
You’ve got an adorable and very special. I can only recall seeing one or two other livers on the board recently, and one or two blues.

Rigs is unmistakably a long coat!
Sabis mom and xthine like this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:38 AM

Definitely long coat (imo). LC is the recessive, so mom must carry a gene for it too. My boy's sire carries the long coat gene as well, but his mother does not so he is a stock coat who could potentially carry the LC gene (I may test at a later date).

I wouldn't call liver rare, so much as "undesireable" in the breed. It is interesting looking. I love the look of blue shepherds (saw a pic or two of one on Pedigree Database that was absolutely stunning), but it is a fault that should not be bred for (and, if I recall correctly, that blue GSD popped up in a reputable breeder's litter)

Your boy is cute - there are a few Liver and tan GSDs on Instagram you could follow, but I'm unsure about here.

+ Kalbi CGC 6/21/2015
+ Blackthorn's Out of the Frying Pan NW1 ORT SEN SCN BCAT SIN RATN TKN (Katsu) 9/12/2017
+ Blackthorn's Skofnung CGC TKN RATI RATO (Steel) 07/23/2018
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-16-2019, 09:54 AM
Crowned Member

I have not any liver and tan gsd owners on here. The blue owners usually appear once to. Beautiful dog. Nice green eyes. Instagram as mentioned and Pinterest places where you find more.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page