Sable? black? dusty? what coat does my dog have? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jax08
  • 1 Post By Fodder

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

Question Sable? black? dusty? what coat does my dog have?

I still can not figure out what her coat color is and get told how she is a beautiful dog, but the they ask her coat color, so they are confused when they see her after learning she is a pure German shepherd. She is full German shepherd, but even I never seen on with her coat coloring (of course where I live most all GSD are black and tan). As a puppy she was pitch black, and as she got older she went through different colors, and now she is a year old, and stuck with this one. My grandmother likes to call her dust as she looks like she just sat in a big pile of dust.

Her undercoat is grayish-white, while a the top coat is black, with a few specks of grayish-white here and there, and she back end is just dusty colored, some lighting looks like a pale brownish grey. Her toes, around eyes, behind ears are a pale brownish grey. All I know about her parents is that her father was brown and black colored, while her mother had a mixture of black and brown in hers.

(Ignore the spots on her elbows, she had gotten a fungus infection there that took off some of her hair, but thanks to treatments its getting better)
Attached Images

Last edited by AkiraAnubise12; 11-21-2018 at 03:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 03:14 PM

Sable. A very dark one.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:03 PM
Crowned Member

Sable. What is she mixed with? Her tail implies a northern breed.
Bramble likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-21-2018, 04:12 PM
Elite Member

Sable. I agree about the tail though.

Kate

Cafall vom Heinolf (GSD)
Efa vom Strafford Hall (GSD)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Sable. What is she mixed with? Her tail implies a northern breed.

She is not mixed with anything, her parents and grandparents where pure German Shepherd. I had asked my vet about, and others and they call it a fault in her breeding. (I do know her father was super aggressive, as he was used as guard dog.)
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

I have seen curled / “gay” tails in GSD, in which you’re correct, it’s a fault within the breed. That said... a tail THAT tight and near corkscrewed absolutely suggest a spitz type (many that also have erect ears and come in sable). It could be pretty far back making your dog a very very high content GSD. But imo - it goes beyond “fault territory”.

That’s neither here nor there. She’s a very attractive and well put together dog. I like her! As far as your original question, as stated, she’s sable. Her mother sounds sable as well. I don’t believe dusty is a color in any breed.

Where are you located out of curiosity?
Sabis mom likes this.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!

Last edited by Fodder; 11-22-2018 at 02:42 PM.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 08:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
I have seen curled / “gay” tails in GSD, in which you’re correct, it’s a fault within the breed. That said... a tail THAT tight and near corkscrewed absolutely suggest a spitz type (many that also have erect ears and come in sable). It could be pretty far back making your dog a very very high content GSD. But imo - it goes beyond “fault territory”.

That’s neither here nor there. She’s a very attractive and well put together dog. I like her! As far as your original question, as stated, she’s sable. Her mother sounds sable as well. I don’t believe dusty is a color in any breed.

Where are you located out of curiosity?

I live in Pass Christian, MS but got her from a breeder in Bay St. Louis, MS, which is mostly Pits. She does carry her tail down most of the time when she is happy, walking or sniffing something. Really her tail didn't start curling till she got 8 to 9 month old. Though I just know her lineage to her great grandparents (what I was told by the breeder), anything beyond that I have no idea, so a Spitz may be that far back.

Dusty is just my way of saying any color of grey lol.
Attached Images

Last edited by AkiraAnubise12; 11-22-2018 at 08:28 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:21 PM
Knighted Member

She's a very beautiful dog!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:24 PM
Crowned Member

Well, she's most certainly a nice looking dog and a fun looking puppy.

My youngest often carries her tail so it looks like the handle on a tea pot - but it's not as extreme as your dog's. So far as answering the "what is she mixed with" I'd be tempted to say "supposedly GSD" because you're not going to win with people who are otherwise convinced.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-22-2018, 09:34 PM
Mei
Master Member

Wow, she sure is a good lookin dog. Even though its not an official color, I'd say she "dust bunny grey sable" lol. I love the coloring around the eyes!

Mei - DOB 1/15/2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page