Recognize the mix? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Recognize the mix?

This is my 5 month old pup, Kujo. I know he’s mostly German Shepherd but the white paws and white chest make me think he’s a lot of something else. I know that happened in some GSD pups but goes away. His are very prominent and have shown no sign of fading. Does anyone recognize what he may be mixed with that would make this happen? Or is this something that happens to purebreads. He’s a rescue so I’m pretty positive he’s mixed. Let me know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A6BB7966-EE43-4591-99A9-6115D7E5E994_1540163470906.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	513247  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 07:31 PM

Welcome to the forum! He's a beautiful pup, no matter what he is. I just rescued a 2 yr. old that I'm pretty sure

is a mix and I've been scouring online pictures looking for dogs that look similar. Found a couple pictures that are

similar but I had no idea there are so many shepherd mixes out there.

I study shape of head and muzzle, eyes, ear size and placement, coat texture, single or double coat, feet, tail carriage,

conformation and temperament/personality. I would think with your puppy it would be difficult until he's more

mature as they change so much.

I've decided to have my dog's DNA tested w/ Embark.com as they seem to be the top company to use and most people have been happy with the service.

Good Luck and hope you get some answers here.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 07:42 PM

I'm going with GSD, YELLOW LAB, & HUSKEY

As mentioned very cute and body is nice..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 08:07 PM
Crowned Member

I am going to guess Collie or Husky. A Lab won't bring in the white markings either.

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 08:28 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
I am going to guess Collie or Husky. A Lab won't bring in the white markings either.
Funny you mention that a lab won't bring in the white... My first dog was all black, and his head and muzzle looked GSD, but he had a white patch on his chest, white feet, and a white-tipped tail. I was told by the HS when I got him that he was 1/2 lab 1/2 GSD LOL!

Whatever he was it wasn't lab I'm pretty sure...but back then DNA testing was not an option...

He was a great dog though, very smart, a quick learner, but not an ounce of ball drive in him!

It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog. Mark Twain

Tim
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim_s_adams View Post
Funny you mention that a lab won't bring in the white... My first dog was all black, and his head and muzzle looked GSD, but he had a white patch on his chest, white feet, and a white-tipped tail. I was told by the HS when I got him that he was 1/2 lab 1/2 GSD LOL!

Whatever he was it wasn't lab I'm pretty sure...but back then DNA testing was not an option...

He was a great dog though, very smart, a quick learner, but not an ounce of ball drive in him!
Actually a lot of pure GSD pure lab mixes I've seen have white patches. My female actually looks like some sort of herding dog lab mix but she's lab/GSD. Dad was a purebred lab and mom was a GSD. Lots are black with white patches even.
tim_s_adams likes this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 10:32 PM
Crowned Member

A lot of GSDs have a white chest patch, even white toes and a tail tip, most of which usually fade. I have even seen an American showline with a white snippet on her face. But white socks?

If you need equipment to maintain control of your dog, understand you’re hanging on to your dog’s body because you’ve lost his mind!

Suzanne Clothier
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-21-2018, 11:12 PM
Crowned Member

His coloring is almost like a tri-color collie.
MineAreWorkingline likes this.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:02 AM
Bug

Looks really similar to my pup. She's mostly GSD with some husky and lab.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4A4A7C68-8A7A-4B8A-8B38-2537D59D15E0_1540216938523.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	716.2 KB
ID:	513293  
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-22-2018, 10:36 AM
Bug

what does he weigh? I actually just noticed he looks smaller than my pup at 5 months. It could just be he picture though. She was about 42lb.

Last edited by Bug; 10-22-2018 at 10:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page