Black and tans with banded hair??? - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

Black and tans with banded hair???

Hey guys, so I'm just wondering if it's common for black and tan shepherds to have banded hair/fur. I'm 99.9% sure that my boy is a black/tan. His dam and sire looked black/tan (to me anyway lol), he looked black/tan as a puppy and according to embark his a locus is at/a (sorry don't know how to make the t small) which if I'm understanding correctly means tan points and recessive black. Correct me if I'm wrong. All of this points to him being black/tan. So I always assumed that he was black/tan. However about a week ago a lady asked me to brush his coat backwards against the grain and she told me that he had a "sable saddle." I hadn't really noticed that his saddle was only black at the tips. I had noticed that his saddle wasn't as black as other shepherds. It looked off compared to the other's I've seen. I thought maybe he had some skin issues or maybe his coat is a bit faded/washed out. So I'm just curious if it's common for black and tan shepherds to have banded fur as I know that seems to be a sable thing. Thanks in advance for your guys input!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:06 AM Thread Starter

Here's a pic of him. Sorry for the ugly free stack lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5960.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	511971  
Sabis mom likes this.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:07 AM Thread Starter

Here's what his fur looks like
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:07 AM
Crowned Member

Yes it's common. Sounds like someone with just enough knowledge to be dangerous.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabis mom View Post
Yes it's common. Sounds like someone with just enough knowledge to be dangerous.
Haha what do you man by that? And is it considered faulty for his saddle to be like that?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:27 AM
Crowned Member

Black and tan .
Lacking pigment.
Bright . Bitch stripe .
this is normal .

to the budinski who asked you to brush the dog to prove her (ill informed) point
lady you are wrong !

the dog looks dry -- get some essential fatty acids into the diet

the colour / pigment that the dog has can be enriched with a better diet

but he will always be lacking strong colour

on which point this seems very important to you - even having gone for a locus ttest - why?

the dog looks like a happy sound dog -- appreciate the things that are important .
Sabis mom likes this.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
Black and tan .
Lacking pigment.
Bright . Bitch stripe .
this is normal .

to the budinski who asked you to brush the dog to prove her (ill informed) point
lady you are wrong !

the dog looks dry -- get some essential fatty acids into the diet

the colour / pigment that the dog has can be enriched with a better diet

but he will always be lacking strong colour

on which point this seems very important to you - even having gone for a locus ttest - why?

the dog looks like a happy sound dog -- appreciate the things that are important .
Thank you for your input! Will definitely try a different food and add some fatty acids. He is currently on Nature's Variety Instinct. His color doesn't really bother me I love the guy he's a great dog, except that people seem to like to comment about it. So I was just curious what other people thought. We did the embark dna/genetic testing just for some peace of mind since I didn't really know too much about his parents so I wanted to see if there were things that I should look out for and things that I can rule out. It was definitely an interesting read.
CometDog likes this.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 10:44 AM
Crowned Member

Who are "people"? "people" usually are ill informed, otherwise they wouldn't be called "people".
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 12:55 PM
Crowned Member

Yes. Banded hair is common. Even my bi-color has some banding.

One suggestion: learn to blow off "people" --- whether random pedestrians or club members.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 09-25-2018, 01:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyser808 View Post
Haha what do you man by that? And is it considered faulty for his saddle to be like that?
People in general are often guilty of spewing off about things they heard somewhere that are in their minds fact.

Yes it's a "fault" but so are lots of things that have no bearing on the animal being a good pet. I have attached one of my favorite pics of my current dog that plainly shows the odd "sabley" bitch stripe down her back. The only parts of her that are actually black are the sides of her ribcage. But I love her none the less.

Name:  22228351_10156375495040961_1472522347548807018_n.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  80.8 KB
car2ner likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page