Confused & worry - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

Question Confused & worry

Hi,

This past Saturday, we just adopted our purebred 2nd GSD baby boy, we named him Klaus. We adopted Klaus out of the same breeder & is product from same dad as our 1st baby, Bella.

Our concern is that Klaus arrived home at 11 weeks old, but physically looks like he is 4-6 weeks old, he's very tiny & weigh only 10#. I took him to the vet for a follow up & everyone sees him got impress how tiny he is for 11 weeks old.

Our 1st baby Bella arrived home 2years ago at 8 weeks weighing 20# & almost the double the size of Klaus.

Has anyone had an experience like mine with GSD puppy before?

I'm kind of worry!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 03:38 PM
Crowned Member

I"m confused. You adopted? From a rescue? Shelter? Or you bought a puppy for a breeder?

If you bought a puppy, have you spoken to the breeder?

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 03:57 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I"m confused. You adopted? From a rescue? Shelter? Or you bought a puppy for a breeder?

If you exchange money for a dog it is a purchase whether it is from a rescue or a shelter or a breeder. You bought a puppy.

If you insert a puppy into your family as a family member and prefer to think of that as an adoption, then it is an adoption whether the puppy came from a shelter or a rescue or a breeder.

So, let's not get side tracked about the real issue here.

10 pounds is small for an 11 week old puppy. But it is not out of the ball park. First check your paperwork and make sure there is no misunderstanding, what was the date the puppy was born?

Next, some puppies just grow faster than other puppies, some lines mature quicker -- and quicker is not always better. The pups that grow very big, very fast often have structural issues as they mature.

The smallest puppy I think I have let go was 8 pounds at 8 weeks, and she had a rough start. But, others have had pups as small as 5-6 pounds at 8 weeks that have matured into seventy something pound dogs. It does not indicate there is anything wrong with the dog.

In my first litter I had a pup that was born significantly smaller than the others, and grew at a slower rate than the others. I gave him to my folks in hopes that he would be a smaller shepherd and easier to handle for them. Nope, he just never seemed to stop growing. His ears would shoot up, and his tail would brush the ground, and then he would grow several more inches. He ended up being the largest in the litter.

Another litter of 10 pups had 4 females. The two visibly larger females went to their homes first. I kept the smallest. I started puppy classes at about 10 weeks old with the owner of one of the larger pups. By the time the class was over (six weeks), my puppy was bigger than hers.

When the vet looked him over, did he find anything wrong? Was he underweight?

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 04:13 PM
Crowned Member

hey sue...how about I ask whatever question I please and you mind your own business on that matter? It's creepy how you seem to follow my posts and argue with every single one. Obsess over something else.

So back to the OP...have you talked to your breeder if you did indeed buy the puppy and have that access to the breeder?

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 04:39 PM
Elite Member

Ditto to what selzer said.

I do have personal experience with this. My boy was 5.2lbs at 8 weeks and some change. 10.4 - 12.2 at 10 weeks (We had two vet appointments that week )

He is now 10 1/2 months old and 61lbs. I expect him to fully mature in the upper 60's low 70's. On the smaller end for males according to the standard but still "normal"

Here is a picture of him around 8 weeks

That's a standard sized step he is laying on. So you can see how very tiny he was!

Don't worry about the weight of your pup in relation to other gsds. Just worry about his health and body condition.

If he ends up on the smaller end of the scale - just remember lower feed bills and more room on the couch
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 05:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post

I adopted from same breeder I adopted my 1st GSD
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 06:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by selzer View Post
If you exchange money for a dog it is a purchase whether it is from a rescue or a shelter or a breeder. You bought a puppy.

If you insert a puppy into your family as a family member and prefer to think of that as an adoption, then it is an adoption whether the puppy came from a shelter or a rescue or a breeder.

So, let's not get side tracked about the real issue here.

10 pounds is small for an 11 week old puppy. But it is not out of the ball park. First check your paperwork and make sure there is no misunderstanding, what was the date the puppy was born?

Next, some puppies just grow faster than other puppies, some lines mature quicker -- and quicker is not always better. The pups that grow very big, very fast often have structural issues as they mature.

The smallest puppy I think I have let go was 8 pounds at 8 weeks, and she had a rough start. But, others have had pups as small as 5-6 pounds at 8 weeks that have matured into seventy something pound dogs. It does not indicate there is anything wrong with the dog.

In my first litter I had a pup that was born significantly smaller than the others, and grew at a slower rate than the others. I gave him to my folks in hopes that he would be a smaller shepherd and easier to handle for them. Nope, he just never seemed to stop growing. His ears would shoot up, and his tail would brush the ground, and then he would grow several more inches. He ended up being the largest in the litter.

Another litter of 10 pups had 4 females. The two visibly larger females went to their homes first. I kept the smallest. I started puppy classes at about 10 weeks old with the owner of one of the larger pups. By the time the class was over (six weeks), my puppy was bigger than hers.

When the vet looked him over, did he find anything wrong? Was he underweight?
Wow!!! Thanks so much! I don't feel that bad anymore

The vet questioning if he was really 11 weeks because at that age he suppose to weigh between 20-30#. He only weigh 10.4
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoolamb View Post
Ditto to what selzer said.

I do have personal experience with this. My boy was 5.2lbs at 8 weeks and some change. 10.4 - 12.2 at 10 weeks (We had two vet appointments that week )

He is now 10 1/2 months old and 61lbs. I expect him to fully mature in the upper 60's low 70's. On the smaller end for males according to the standard but still "normal"

Here is a picture of him around 8 weeks

That's a standard sized step he is laying on. So you can see how very tiny he was!

Don't worry about the weight of your pup in relation to other gsds. Just worry about his health and body condition.

If he ends up on the smaller end of the scale - just remember lower feed bills and more room on the couch

Adorable!!

Mine weighed exactly 10.4 too
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-21-2016, 06:59 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSD4ever2 View Post
I adopted from same breeder I adopted my 1st GSD
So have you talked to your breeder about the puppy's size? When you bought him, what did the other puppies look like? How big is the mother? Sire?

We bought an undersized puppy many years ago. She was the runt and hadn't been separated from her litter mates to get proper nutrition. She was 4# at 8 weeks when she should have been 10#. All bone, scabs and fleas. Her adult size is 45# so about 10# behind a normal boxer female.

I would go back to the breeder and ask these questions as they would have better insight and knowledge.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page