Discuss the genetics of Cryptochid and Monorchid - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 121Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 130 (permalink) Old 11-20-2015, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Discuss the genetics of Cryptochid and Monorchid

I am curious about how the genetics of this condition work. What is the likelihood of a monorchid dog producing monorchid puppies. Or a cryptorchid dog? Or is this a polygenic condition, where it may skip a generation?

Is there a condition where the testicles just haven't dropped but are present, or is there any where they aren't present at all?

Does it have to be present on both sides of the equation, like the black recessive to get black dogs? If you breed an affected male to a female that does not have an affected dog behind her, will you have puppies that are carriers, but will not have the condition themselves?

I have a book on GSD genetics, but it's not handy at the moment.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 10:25 PM
Crowned Member

i am bummed no one answered this. i would also like to know...
post #3 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:01 PM
Banned

Skip down to inheritance on this article. My last male had neuter for one at one year of age. Vet said I would need to bring him back for neutering when the 2nd descended otherwise it would cause problems and need to surgically removed. It descended and never caused him any problems - lived to 14.5

http://www.siriusdog.com/cyptorchidi...sticle-dog.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-17-2016, 11:21 PM
Banned

From that article;

"In Germany and many other countries, where registration is denied Cryptoids sanctions are made against their parents, more than half of the "VA" (top show) GSD's in a 20 year period sired Cryptorchidism and hence were carriers."

These disorders go back so far in this breeds history... Just sad.
post #5 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 03:49 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Welcome to breeding in general. No breed (or mix) is or ever will be free of every and all genetic disorders. It's impossible.

One must pick and choose.

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog
post #6 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 07:07 AM
Crowned Member

If a cryptorchid dog is bred, what percentage of his male pups will be crypt? Same question if he is a carrier?

Seems like of all the genettic problems this one is not so terrible, besides a more invasive neuter surgery does it impact the dog's life in any other way?
post #7 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I think if you do not neuter the internal testicle, it is possible that it will twist and cause pain, possible infection or worse. But, like everything else it is just a risk. There are some that do not believe that cancer is more likely in a retained testicle, but spotting it would be near impossible before it is too late, and since, this cancer actually does have a good prognosis if caught in time. That would be sad. Again a risk you take.

I know of a monorchid dog that sired 10 male pups (2 bitches) and all of the pups had both testicles by 7 or 10 weeks. I would imagine that the pups would all be carriers. Unless there are actually more reasons for the problem.

I mean, if it is genetic if the accompanying hardware was too short to descend properly, or the testicle(s) were completely non-existent, then all the pups would be carriers of that condition. If it were more the descending and ascending testicle, and the ring closed when it was on the up-swing, maybe that isn't a genetic issue? And then puppies out of that dog might not be affected at all.

But I really do not know.

It is a pain for owners because of the extra cost in neutering, and because the dog cannot be shown. The dogs are certainly able to sire puppies, perform in dog sports, and make as good pets as their brothers that have their equipment properly descended.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #8 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 05:15 PM
Banned

Hopefully soon, there will be better and more affordable tools for diagnostic treatment/prevention of the serious stuff - for both people and animals.
post #9 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:45 PM
Crowned Member

Well I can relate to the surgery being a pain, I am dreading it. Mine is 13 months now, either crypt or monorchid. I was thinking of asking the ultrasound vet if she has ever searched for one prior to surgery to limit the digging around looking for it.

My other vet seemed to feel waiting until 24 months to go in for the other one would be ok. Planning to get a 2nd opinion on that but would like to combine with OFA X Rays while he is under so would rather wait until maturity.

I don't think it is worth it not to get it out of there seeing as there are things that could go wrong. I can't tell that it bothers him any currently
post #10 of 130 (permalink) Old 07-18-2016, 08:48 PM
Crowned Member

I know of a monorchid dog that sired 10 male pups (2 bitches) and all of the pups had both testicles by 7 or 10 weeks. I would imagine that the pups would all be carriers. Unless there are actually more reasons for the problem.

Selzer, was this an intentional breeding? I didn't think reputable breeders ever used one nutters? Do the dog's accomplishments or attributes at some point outweigh that issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page