Color question - how likely that black/white dogs are siblings? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-26-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Color question - how likely that black/white dogs are siblings?

I'm hoping that someone here knows the color genetics well and can answer this question. Mostly to satisfy my curiosity.
I Adopted two GSDs out of a shelter. They came in as a bonded pair, seized from their owner for neglect. They were full grown (but underweight) but not much older than that. Probably about 1 year old. They do things that make me think they probably were siblings- sleep piled on top of each other like puppies, very similar personalities and mannerisms, very close to same size (the male is about 5# heavier than the female). But then again, this could all be due to same breed, being put together young with very little human interaction, etc.
The male is white. We've had white GSDs before, and his appearance is pretty typical. The female is jet black when you first look at her. Her undercoat is grey. She has a white patch on her chest and some white hairs on the underside of her tail and in the "armpits" of all 4 legs. She also has some white under the chin, and some random white hairs on her face. Her skin almost black in some places (like her ears), and her mouth skin is more purplish than the usual pink.
From what I can tell, black is recessive and so is white, but they're on different genes. So it seems like if I'm interpreting it correctly, they could be siblings, but it would be a pretty weird combination of not terribly common recessive genes. Can anyone provide additional insight?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:01 AM
Banned

Photos needed. I believe people will be looking for similarities in conformation, not color.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 09:48 AM
Master Member

As I understand it, based on color genetics in the GSD they can be siblings.

In GSDs white is a recessive masking gene on the E locus. If a pup receives two copies of this gene (e), one from each parent, it will always be white, masking any other color s/he has from a different locus. So one parent could have been white (ee) but not both parents. Or neither parent could have been white but both must have carried one copy of the white gene (e).

Black is on the A locus and in the GSD it is recessive, meaning that both parents need to carry at least one copy of (a) for a pup to have a black coat. One parent could have been solid black (aa) if s/he carried only one (e), or have a white coat if s/he had two copies (ee). Or neither parent could have been black but both non-black parents must have carried one copy of a. For the pup to have a black coat, s/he needs to receive one a from each parent to be (aa), and have no or only one copy of (e).

Both recessives are common with different frequencies in different populations of GSDs. In AKC white GSDs and their puppies can be registered, so (e) is far more common among North American GSDs than those registered with the SV system which started excluding white decades ago. And of course it is ubiquitous in white GSDs bred for the color. Black a is very common in working lines, pet lines, and AKC lines, but has been pushed out in German show lines as they are bred for the red and black saddle pattern.

Color gene experts, please correct if I got this wrong!

FKA RunSarahRun
Chip v. Dog Pound (border terrier), CGC
Elly v. Rescue (GSD, GSRNE 346), HI(C), CGC, TT
RIP: Feli, Iris, Dago (GSDs), Bubi (spitz), Tanja and Robin (mutts)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 10:20 AM
Banned

Yes, they can be siblings.

Don't worry about pictures as due to the fact that they're both GSD, they will have similar features. There isn't a person on here that can look at two random dogs and figure out if they're related or not.

If someone has grown up with the dogs, or has seen them on a weekly basis, then they'll notice certain familiar traits between siblings and probably even parents. But otherwise, no one can look at the conformation of two dogs and tell you they're siblings.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 11:54 AM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

Agree with the above. Saying that one can determine if two dogs are related by conformation is somewhat odd.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 12:04 PM
Knighted Member

White is a spotting gene in german shepherds. Meaning, every single white german shepherd is actually a black and tan, bicolor, sable, or pure black german shepherd that just happens to have a giant white spot over it's body.

So yes they could definitely be siblings. Your white german shepherd may very well be a black dog

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:06 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

^ You're probably thinking of the Irish Spotting Gene - Different from the White Masking Gene. The Irish Spotting gene shows up in various colors, and is the cause of the sometimes white spot on a GSD's chest or white toes or feet.

Then the there is the White Masking Gene that makes a GSD all white, masks whatever colour genes the dog has, including Irish Spotting Gene. Wonder if that would make for a Double White dog! LOL!

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 01:19 PM
Master Member

As Lucia said, the white color in GSDs is not due to the spotting gene on locus S. This is fortunate as at the spotting locus S the allele "extreme white" can occur (among other alleles such as "piebald"). "Extreme white" is associated with deafness. Since the white color is due to alleles not on the S but on the E locus, deafness is not an issue in white GSDs as it can be e.g. in white boxers.

FKA RunSarahRun
Chip v. Dog Pound (border terrier), CGC
Elly v. Rescue (GSD, GSRNE 346), HI(C), CGC, TT
RIP: Feli, Iris, Dago (GSDs), Bubi (spitz), Tanja and Robin (mutts)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 05:47 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses! This is pretty much what I thought, but it's nice to have it confirmed by those more in the know.

Does anyone know if there are genetic testing companies that will run a test for these various color genes? I could see breeders wanting to know. Based on all the recessives, if they are siblings, the black one would have a more than 50% chance of carrying one white gene, and the white one would also have a greater than 50% chance of carrying one black gene. It probably wouldn't be definitive, but could support likely vs unlikely.

So is the white spot on the black one's chest a separate spotting gene? These two have a lot going on.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-27-2015, 05:54 PM
Banned

You can get them tested against each other if you'd like, that would tell you if they're related or not. Don't even need to do the color testing. That would take a lot of guess work out of it regarding color lol.

But the color tests are available...

http://www.vetdnacenter.com/canine.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page