Dark Mask Question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Dark Mask Question

I'm just curious to see what are the odds of a puppy having a black face if the parents don't have that trait.. or can it just run in the pedigree and pop up anywhere? Like the long coat gene??
Right now Troy is 9 weeks, and I know he is way way young to be able to tell what it'll end up like, but his face was the darkest out of all of his littermates if that says anything maybe? He has those little eyebrows above his eyes but they are really light compared to the other puppies. The dam doesn't have a dark mask at all only really around her muzzle but the sire has a kind of dark face and I did see a picture of one of his puppies which had a dark face as well but she was around 7 months I believe.
I attached a picture of the two parents, if that helps at all. Thanks!!

Sire

Dam

Forgot to add the pedigree: http://www.pedigreedatabase.com/germ...von-seidenbach

Last edited by Bella67; 03-13-2015 at 05:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:44 PM

Very cute. They do tend to lighten up a bit. I've attached a picture of Ollie when I got him and what he looked like at about a year. The black in his face may recede a little bit. Do you not like the black face or are you just curious?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Oliver_then&now.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	281385  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

No, I actually really want a black face! But I love him either way. Chloe's face was dark as a puppy but really lightened up, but both of her parents had a dark face.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 05:52 PM

Here's another one of Ollie. More recent one and a better shot of his face I think.

It looks like your pups dad may have had a much darker face when he was born as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ollie bed.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	28.4 KB
ID:	281409  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:11 PM
Elite Member

Dinozzo at 8 & 9 weeks:

And four days ago:

His mask got a little smaller at first but now seems to have filled out his face again. I don't know if that means your boy will have a dark mask too, but if I had to guess I would think so! So my fingers are crossed for you!

GSD/Dinozzo (A.K.A. SG Jocose vom Mittelwest); Cats: R.I.P. Xena & Zora; Ferrets/Falkor, Draco, Drogon
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Here's the picture of one of his puppies. He's in the second one.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-13-2015, 06:31 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

And a link to the blog which shows all of the other puppies if that also helps.

Easy/Wallace Litter
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 02:24 AM
Master Member

Both of the parents have a black mask, it's just not strong. Masking is dominant, so if both parents have it all of the pups will have a black mask unless they both carry the gene marker for no mask, then about 1/4th the litter could have no mask. But you don't see maskless GSDs very often.

Intensity/strength of the mask will vary and depends on what the parents have produced in the past.

Dakonic German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 10:47 AM
Crowned Member

I think he will look more like the sire, a darker face but not a pure black mask. My WGSL looked very similar as a puppy. He still has a very dark face but it's not solid black. The non-black areas on his face are a very deep red, and overall my dog is very richly pigmented and colored (the black on his back is black, not salt and pepper, and the red areas are a rich red, not tan). I actually like this better, as I find his face very expressive. While a solid black mask looks very striking, I think it often makes eyes look light (or accentuates lighter eyes), which is something I don't personally like. I really like the expression of both the sire and dam you posted, especially the sire.

8 weeks meeting my sister, looks a lot like your pup

About 10 months old (with his dam to my right). His mask was a very solid black as an adolescent.

Now, 6.5 years
]

Last edited by Liesje; 03-15-2015 at 10:50 AM.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-15-2015, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Thank you! I'm really hoping that he'd have a dark face. Here's a link to the dad's pedigree which shots a better face shot of him at the bottom.

SG Wallace von Seidenbach
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page