Cow Hocks - Do They Affect Working Ability? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2014, 07:08 AM Thread Starter

Cow Hocks - Do They Affect Working Ability?

I was wondering if cow hocks affect working ability in German Shepherds as I believe that they are an undesirable trait? And yet I've been told that cow hocks are quite common in German Shepherds. Are they genetic and if so are they dominant or recessive? Cow hocks are when the back legs point outward and the back knees point inward right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 10:50 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

No, they do not affect working ability. Yes, there is a genetic component, but probably polygenic and not just a simple recessive/dominant trait. Yes, it is a fault.

Toes point out, hocks point towards one another.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Old 09-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Crowned Member

are you concerned about your dog?

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2014, 11:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Ihczth for the explanation. Is it common in German Shepherds?

Carmen, yes he does seem to have cow hocks. I will try and get some pictures if you like?
Old 09-25-2014, 12:46 AM
Crowned Member

We had a male GSD in agility class and it did affect him in that venue/sport. He was a little over a year and he belonged to one of the trainers at the GSD club. This dogs temperament was wonderful, my favorite GSD at the club. He was more awkward and I remember the agility teacher telling her he would get used to it and it didn't matter because he loved agility and thought he was great at it, they did not take that away from him.That dog had a few obedience titles under his belt by the time he was a year, his amazing obedience and focus grabbed my attention. It did not affect his ability for obedience. Sadly he had to put down at a year and a half because his kidneys failed. I will never forget him and I was in shock when it happened. I will never forget that dog. Issues with his feet or not, he was by far the most obedient and hardest working young GSD I have met to date.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD

Last edited by llombardo; 09-25-2014 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-25-2014, 03:04 AM

My pup stands like his cow hocked especially when pulling. However when he walks and gaits his legs are quite straight.
Old 09-25-2014, 07:14 AM
Crowned Member

How old is the dog?

I don't know the level of truth behind this, so I'm hoping Lisa or Carmen can clarify... I'd heard that while on a base level it is genetic, it can be common in pups and go away (or improve) as the pup ages and develops better muscle tone?

My female was fairly cow-hocked when she was a younger puppy. Now at ten months you can barely see it unless you really look for it, after a season of swimming and conditioning in the water. Certainly doesn't affect her mobility, agility, or stamina.
Old 09-25-2014, 08:15 AM
Crowned Member

waiting for picture .

cow hock is a position taken to carry the weight , creating a tripod effect. Long bodied dogs with excessive rear, (long stifles) and soft ligaments will stand this way.

This is a pup , probably not even 12 weeks of age.
The muscles need to develop as does the ligament and cartilage.

Feed the dog a good diet which promotes lean muscle , and ligaments with integrity .

Allow the dog free-choice movement .
A new owner is likely to be over critical , and over zealous.
When someone says provide exercise they over do it and go on long marches , exhausting the pup , or doing something high impact , or abrupt changes in direction, stop and go. Just let the dog follow you around outside , uneven terrain being good .

This is not an indication of future hip problems .
The pup is developing muscles.

Carmen

Old 09-25-2014, 08:59 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
cow hock is a position taken to carry the weight , creating a tripod effect. Long bodied dogs with excessive rear, (long stifles) and soft ligaments will stand this way
This is not an indication of future hip problems .
Thank you for this. My dog stands this way, I've been asking people for 2 years ans couldn't get an answer though I had an idea that he stands this way because he's supporting his weight and it's something in his structure that makes him stand This way

Now you explained what it is and he most def has a very long back. I don't know what stiffles are and not sure how to tell whether he has soft ligaments

And especially thank you for the last part. For some reason I thought they're connected. I have a cat with a broken back that healed that stands this way. She has a hump in her back and he has a slight hump too so I thought maybe it's his back that will have problems and that makes him stand this way.
Old 09-25-2014, 09:21 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
... Sadly he had to put down at a year and a half because his kidneys failed. I will never forget him and I was in shock when it happened. I will never forget that dog. Issues with his feet or not, he was by far the most obedient and hardest working young GSD I have met to date.
OMG, crying again, so sad, so young! As my niece (39 downs syndrome) would say 'Father God wanted the dog to sit beside him'..

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in