What color am I? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:06 PM Thread Starter

What color am I?

I know it's hard to tell when they're still young, but he is 7 months old now and has been the same color since I got him for the most part. His chest, cheeks, eyebrows and stomach turned from a light cream to a white. His legs minus a very very light cream/tan (as light as you can go with still having pigment) stripe down the fronts of them. The rest of them wrap around to a white color.

Any clues?

Also, since I'm pretty sure we were duped about his parents (Non AKC, not from breeder, fell in love at the store) is it possible he came from two black and tan saddle backs when him and all his siblings look like this?

Please forgive the quality of the pictures, getting any in good lighting with him semi-still is next to impossible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:09 PM
Crowned Member

He's a black and tan blanket back.

What do you mean you were duped? Duped about what? He looks purebred to me.

post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-06-2013, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

I was wavering between B/T blanket back and Black and Silver. Minus the cream spot on his front legs and it's literally a small stripe the rest of his light spots are almost pure white so I wasn't sure.

The store showed us a picture of the "parents" they told us his litter came from. They were black and tan saddle backs, dark tan so maybe a black and red even? I wasn't sure if we could assume they were his parents or not. It really doesn't matter I was just curious about the possibility that they were actually the dam and sire to the litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:27 AM

Black and tans/black and reds can definitely carry the genes for cream or silver. The markings of a puppy who will end up with tan markings are often dingy, muddy, grayish tan. Lighting variations also can greatly affect how intense a dog's pigment is. Your puppy looks like he will end up being a blanket black and tan at maturity.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 08:35 AM

My pup was from b/t mom and r/t dad. Under his neck has gotton very cream/white and he has some silvery white hairs along his back now. And I know he is purebred.What color am I?-1375878976008.jpg

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 09:46 AM

Red/tan dad? Did he have any black on him at all? What color was his nose?
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-07-2013, 12:41 PM Thread Starter

Black Nose, Small black saddle other than that it was a dark tan or a red. Not quite sure from the pictures.
The Dam was your very typical what most people think when you say GSD, just with floppy ears (if that was his Dam, I was really thankful his ears went up on their own)

This may sound like a stupid question but does the B/T mean he's going to gain pigment back with age now? When I brought him home he was a cappuccino color, apologies that's the best thing I can compare it to. And as he's grown it was first the 'sweet bottom' that lost color, I've also heard it called a vent but I'm not sure which is the correct term for it, and then his chest/cheeks/eyebrows followed by his stomach and now his feet are losing the color. Is he going to start going in reverse now and gaining pigment? I'm sorry this all sounds so redundant! I guess I'm just wondering if it's going to go back and darken up or not.
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-08-2013, 10:57 PM

Store?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Yes, a local store.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 08-09-2013, 01:35 AM
Knighted Member

Black and tan blanket.

Zekes sire was pure black, his mom was black and tan saddle. Every single pup in the litter was a black and tan blanket back, with the exception of one silver and black blanket back.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1376026508062.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	100058  

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'07 - '15
Luther
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page