Litter with anomalies. Need advice. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 02:00 AM Thread Starter

Litter with anomalies. Need advice.

We're in the process of purchasing a Gsd puppy for the first time.
Found the perfect breeder, truly could not be more highly recommended.

Litter: 3 females, 5 males.

Problem: 2 deceased male puppies, with a 3rd male that could either way. And, we're purchasing a male. All the females are fat, feisty and perfect.

1st pup had megaesophogus complications, died around 5 weeks.
2nd pup had a heart murmur, found in seizure. Died yesterday @ 7 weeks.
3rd pup has Persistant Right Aortic Arch (PRAA). Breeder is bringing him in for surgery next week, seems to be thriving & doing well for now.

Questions:
* Are there any tests we should have done prior to taking our pup home to ensure he doesn't have an undiscovered genetic issue?

* Anyone have experience owning a Gsd with PRAA? Outcome? Long term issues? Developmental delays? Physical restrictions?

* Any other advice/ things to look for when purchasing a male out of this litter?

Again, this isn't a bad breeder deal. She's responsible, honest, & HIGHLY respected within the gsd community. This is the first breeding for both mom/dad. Dad is a champion. Dogs from this litter will receive limited AKC papers because of the genetic Problems. Due to the issues, she's requiring all pups spayed/neutered & the parents will also be fixed. I'd use/recommend her in the future without hesitation.

Experienced thoughts/advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 04:01 AM
Master Member

Yikes! If you're still getting a pup I would get pet insurance and make sure congenital aliments are covered in your plan but hopefully you will never need it! Good luck

Enzo v TeMar
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:14 AM
Crowned Member

honestly, I would ask her to transfer my deposit to another litter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGSDmomma View Post
We're in the process of purchasing a Gsd puppy for the first time.
Found the perfect breeder, truly could not be more highly recommended.

Again, this isn't a bad breeder deal. She's responsible, honest, & HIGHLY respected within the gsd community. This is the first breeding for both mom/dad. Dad is a champion. Dogs from this litter will receive limited AKC papers because of the genetic Problems. Due to the issues, she's requiring all pups spayed/neutered & the parents will also be fixed. I'd use/recommend her in the future without hesitation.

Experienced thoughts/advice?
All depends on what your intentions are for the dog. As a show dog I would pass since it already has a high mortality rate in the litter, but if the pup is a family, loyal pet type of dog then I would get her or him to a vet for a thorough check up with the understanding if they find any issues the dog is returnable for another pup from a different litter. If no congenital issues are found then I would take her home and wait till her first heat or later to get her spayed. If it is a male I would try to wait till the dog was full grown around the age of two before I got him neutered. Just my thoughts for a possibly genetically flawed animal that should not be in the show ring but working or being a big old dumb pet. Hope this helps.

Wheelchair Bob
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 06:37 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I am going to guess that insurance coverage is not going to be likely for a pup that already had surgery for a congenital deformity............It is scary enough going home with a healthy pup from a robust litter....I don't know enough about it to know if other issues can be linked to this problem.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:14 AM

I can't answer how the others will turn out, obviously no one can.

Honestly, I would be very wary of taking a pup from this litter..One puppy loss I wouldn't worry about, but 3,,that's to high of a risk for me..But hey, the rest could be perfectly healthy..

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:35 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

ACK!!!

Any breeder can have bad luck with a litter, but I'd be very leary of getting a pup from that litter.

There going to be a big reduction in price? That will help with the future vet bills if you go in with your eyes wide open and fingers crossed.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Crowned Member

I agree with Jocoyn, Jacoda and Dainerra:
Unless you have A LOT of money, time, and can take a possible heartbreak, wait and choose another litter! This one has RED FLAGS written all over it!
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Crowned Member

I think it's great that the breeder is speutering all involved.

Persistent Right Aortic Arch (PRAA) in Dogs

I am guessing I would join the Mega-E group and see if any of them have any input. megaesophagus : Megaesophagus I would also be talking to my vet.

PRAA has good information - I know of a pup a few years ago who had this done and looks/acts/feels great. So that was a successful outcome.

post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 07-22-2013, 07:50 AM
Crowned Member

Personally I wouldn't take a puppy from the litter, bad genetics is bad genetics. I'm glad the breeder is taking responsibilty but I still wouldn't want to take a puppy unless I had a huge savings which could be put towards future health care. Health insurance can be very helpful but there are limitations and I'd hate for them to find loopholes

I would either ask for the deposit to go to another litter or see if it can be refunded and look elsewhere if the timing is wrong with the current breeder

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page