How early would you see DM? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

How early would you see DM?

I have just finished swabbing Hans and am getting ready to send the kit off for analysis.

Why?

Because for a young adult, he doesn't seem to have the stamina and endurance he should have. He tires easily, and if taken for a 45 minute walk he is dragging halfway through.

I am wondering if this is because of the heat (it was 81 this morning) or the shoulder injury he had as a puppy (that went away in a couple of weeks) or if he simply does not enjoy walks. Then again, if you play fetch with him, he doesn't run at full speed after the first couple of throws.

I am hoping it's just because he is a lower energy dog, but I am checking for DM, just in case.
I am also going to have his hips checked in a couple of months.

My question is, would DM affect a dog this early in life? He just turned 17 months.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Norden von Narnia (Hans) DOB 1-15-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

hi, you had some problems before , remember, on the treadmill ? has the dog had a total health check? heart?

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

I can see why you are concerned. Not sure about DM hopefully others can comment. But has his heart ever been checked? No murmur?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 PM

Might be the hips. When my Kaos was around 5 he would get tired on long walks (but he still wanted to go). I was scared he had a heart problem or something like that. I was going to take him to the vet to get him checked out. The day before his appointment while walking him on the bike path. Someone yelled out a car window. Great looking Shepherd but I think hes limping a little on his rear leg. I didn't notice it but looked at him all the way home. At the vets no heart problem but x rays showed his hips were bad.....

I had a DM dog Genesis (he was diagnosed at 10). His DM showed up at first where he would lose his balance a little while taking a pee. He would get up near a tree. Lift a leg then would lose his balance a little. What made me take him in was one day in my kitchen. He entered the room and had a wierd wobble/stumble....But at first with the DM there was no being tired problem. He used to chase the neighbor (at the time) GSD Ashley through the fence. She was 4. Genesis with early stages of DM could run her into the ground. As it progressed his back end would sway to one side. His rear would not be lined up with the front part of his body. As it got worse I would hold my hand against his side by the hip and keep it in line. Same going up front steps at it progressed. Guide his rear. As it got worse I would then have to assist him getting up the steps...

Kaos 8/6/2003-5/18/2013 Things not what they used to be. Missing one inside of me. Deathly lost this Cant be real. Cannot stand this H*ll I feel. Emptiness is filling me. To the point of agony...

Last edited by Fade2Black; 06-17-2013 at 03:40 PM.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 03:35 PM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Adding to what Carmen asked, just keep in mind that the DM test is not 100% accurate.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 04:07 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Oh, dear.
Time to get his hips checked.

He had a full health workup and the vet found everything to be fine.
I will call the vet and ask about the heart check.

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Crowned Member

Has a recent Heartworm check been done and come back negative? I only mention it because I've seen that sort of lack of stamina in HW+ dogs in rescue.

Even if he's on preventative, check anyway. I have read some reports of HWs "breaking through" ivermectin in rare instances, and infecting dogs on preventative. It hasn't been conclusively shown that it's happening as far as I know...but I've read that somewhere that there are some anecdotal reports here and there.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM
Crowned Member

I had a DM dog who was a typical little landshark. No tiredness for him at all. He was non-stop go go go right up until the day when he was 9 that I had to put him down for DM. It didn't slow his energy at all, only his physical ability.

I should add that even the physical didn't slow him down until the very end. We didn't see it coming and missed the signs so that by the time we figured out what was wrong he went down super fast.

Last edited by shepherdmom; 06-17-2013 at 06:30 PM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magwart View Post
Has a recent Heartworm check been done and come back negative? I only mention it because I've seen that sort of lack of stamina in HW+ dogs in rescue.

Even if he's on preventative, check anyway. I have read some reports of HWs "breaking through" ivermectin in rare instances, and infecting dogs on preventative. It hasn't been conclusively shown that it's happening as far as I know...but I've read that somewhere that there are some anecdotal reports here and there.
This is a nagging thought in he back of my mind.
Still waiting for the vet to call me back.

I have found a great radiologist to do PennHIP- should I wait until Hans is two?

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Master Member

Does he jump up willingly? He kinda sounds a little like havoc at that age but one big thing that I brushed off before but now realize was a big indicator was that he has never jumped up on me. He never jumped up on the counters (not that I'm complaining lol) just anything that fully extended his back legs like that he has never done. (Havoc does not have DM, he has lumbosacral disease. I don't want to freak you out! But I believe that further damage was done because we didn't know what we were dealing with.)

Odin ~ GSD
Zuri ~ German Coolie

Havoc ~ (aka "Super") GSD - Rest easy buddy.
Keeper ~ (rest in peace little stinker) (Aussie)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page