Bone and head size related to confidence - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Bone and head size related to confidence

I was just reading an article about Fero vom Zeutener Himmelreich written by Ed Leerburg. In this article it was said that.... well here is the quote so I don't miss write it. "Am I the only one who seems to see that dogs with fine heads and fine bones have weak nerves? I think not, Bernard Flinks mentioned this fact..." and it goes on. This comment caught my attention. Do think there is any truth to this? How would one test/prove this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:18 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
I was just reading an article about Fero vom Zeutener Himmelreich written by Ed Leerburg. In this article it was said that.... well here is the quote so I don't miss write it. "Am I the only one who seems to see that dogs with fine heads and fine bones have weak nerves? I think not, Bernard Flinks mentioned this fact..." and it goes on. This comment caught my attention. Do think there is any truth to this? How would one test/prove this?
My female would be considered fine boned and she is not by any means weak nerved, so I'd have to say no I don't believe it at all.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:23 PM
Crowned Member

My male is thick boned and he is full of himself. I wouldn't call my females, who are thinner than him, weak nerve though. Both do very well in a variety of environments and circumstances.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Crowned Member

except that Fero did not have weak nerves.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:49 PM
Crowned Member

GSD were regional working dogs that merged into one "breed" for uniformity.

the northern dog -- Thuringian was a longer limbed , slighter build , different head , finer , longer , sometimes without stop
the central dogs - Wurttembergers and Swabian came from the planes , different function - different body , lower set, heavier , sometimes drop eared, sometimes long coated . temperament less reactive. more active aggression . higher threshold .
maybe this is where the statement is from.

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 01:52 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
except that Fero did not have weak nerves.

Right! But he was talking about some of Fero's progeny. Either way the article was about Fero but the statement was GSD wide. It just caught my attention and I was wondering if you thought it had any truth to it.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 02:13 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carmspack View Post
GSD were regional working dogs that merged into one "breed" for uniformity.

the northern dog -- Thuringian was a longer limbed , slighter build , different head , finer , longer , sometimes without stop
the central dogs - Wurttembergers and Swabian came from the planes , different function - different body , lower set, heavier , sometimes drop eared, sometimes long coated . temperament less reactive. more active aggression . higher threshold .
maybe this is where the statement is from.

This could be it. I don't know. I just read that and found it to be an interesting generalization. It made me start to think about all the dogs I have worked. If I was to make a generalization about the dogs I have worked I would say that the big head/boned dogs seemed to be harder dogs and extremely confident. I couldn't say that's because of structure though. IMO they have also been some of the better bred dogs I have worked so...
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 02:32 PM
Crowned Member

I would say no to the basic premise that the corellation with fine heads and weak nerves exist....I know some real tough lines with and without Fero with fine heads that are known for strong nerves. NOW, you can breed for many generations, dogs that are rewarded for fine heads and in the new creation come up with dogs with high percent of fine heads and weak nerves....there is ample evidence of that.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffson1 View Post
I would say no to the basic premise that the corellation with fine heads and weak nerves exist....I know some real tough lines with and without Fero with fine heads that are known for strong nerves. NOW, you can breed for many generations, dogs that are rewarded for fine heads and in the new creation come up with dogs with high percent of fine heads and weak nerves....there is ample evidence of that.
Is there any evidence of dogs with big heads/bone and weak nerves? Seems that people are only saying that some fine head/bone dogs have good nerves. Constitutional psychology was pop psychology several decades ago. It is over simplified and based on stereotypes in humans. Looks like it is being carried over to canines (?)

Last edited by Pooky44; 05-27-2013 at 03:26 PM.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Crowned Member

From my experience - this is not true. I have 2 examples sitting next to me.

G Wild Winds Zephyr of Cognac BH, HIC, NTD, ITD, CGN, TT
Wild Winds Archangel Raphael HIC, TT
XX z Weberhaus
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page