Interesting video regarding GSD breeding... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

Interesting video regarding GSD breeding...

Found this on another GSD page and its sparked up quite a discussion...

Out of curiosity after reading some of the comments I am wondering whats everyone's thoughts on this forum regarding the information and footage etc?

Xander - 14/1/13

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:50 PM
Knighted Member

I feel like this is going to bring up discussions not allowed on this board (working vs show).

However I will give my two cents. I do not like show lines in general, and agree largely with what's shown in this video regarding WGSL dogs. Ive seen too many weak temperaments, too poor of conformation. ASL with Snippy heads, roman muzzles, low rear ends, calluses form on the rear pastern where the dog actually uses the whole metatarsal to walk. Roached backs. Ive seen more cow-hocked WGSL dogs than i can count! Ive been around the show world a lot - for a long time my mother grandmother and aunt bred and showed belgian tervurens. They had some of the first tervurens imported into the country from france. So im not saying this stuff with no experience. I spent a large part of my youth at dog shows.

I know there are exceptions to everything. But the exception is not the rule.

I will say this in recent years I feel crufts has made decent steps concerning the GSD. I have greatly approved of some of the BoB I've seen, 2010 was a nice dog.

And there are extremes in every line. There are extremes in WL dogs too, dont get me wrong. Lets breed every large stocky black sable male because that's what everyone wants, etc...

I feel like the show world can just be so blinded by a pretty dog and ribbons and the wall and titles before a name and money spent. I had a breeder tell me (scream at me) that I RUINED her show dog because I shaved a tiny patch on the right hind leg to place as sterile of an IV catheter as possible. That she would not be able to go to the westminster dog show now (which was 8 months away btw) because I tried to do the best thing by her dog. The title meant more than her dog's health. It is not good to place a catheter through fur! If your confirmation world is so petty that a working breed cant have a dime sized shave patch, then maybe you need to reconsider what you're really doing to your breed. I would expect a working dog to look as such, with possible scars and etc.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz

Last edited by Anubis_Star; 05-11-2013 at 07:53 PM.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:53 PM
Knighted Member

Did I mention that as I was in the room talking to that GSDs owner the dog was sitting on the bench behind the woman shaking? Yes that's what I call a fine example of the breed. Im glad she's so purdy

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM
Crowned Member

The dogs they chose to look at in the shows they photographed were awful examples of the breed. I have been to lots of shows and have never seen anything as attrocious. If you are going to do a highly biased video, you need extreme examples to go with it to pound your points home.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
I am glad to hear that those are extremes. Fiona's breeder told me that I could not show Fiona because she was working line and did not conform to the standard. I was hurt and disappointed. But if that is the standard, I am glad Fiona does not conform.

Cheyanna

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Crowned Member

I am happy that WD is anatomically incorrect, according to this show judge.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Crowned Member

This video has been discussed a lot on this forum.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 03:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post
This video has been discussed a lot on this forum.
Sorry, haven't been a member long so wasn't aware

Xander - 14/1/13

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 08:24 AM
Banned

Don't be sorry. New members are coming on board all the time and have as much right to ask questions as anyone. The more experienced members (the ones with manners) are very helpful. New GSD owners all have very similar questions as do 'old' GSD owners with 'new' problems. One useful option is to type some key words into the Search topic and look at previous discussions.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2013, 11:08 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

LOVE LOVE LOVE that video. It's actually part of a 1 hour BBC special that's worth watching

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page