selective breeding is subtraction not addition? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
x11
Banned

selective breeding is subtraction not addition?

IF all dog come from wolves then the complete gentotype can be thought of as the colour white ie all colours mixed together, so a wolf has a white spectrum so to speak. we actually have only deleted genes that were not desired when humans invented breeds, there is no other position that is logical, not possible to add or mutate a gene that is not wolf. unless you cross species.

each breed in this analogy is just a different colour so to speak. the weak nerve fearful dog is closest to the wolf, should not then every breeding program retain a reactive fearful dog to jump start the breeeding program again and add some colours back to the pallette, cf breeding prey to prey to prey long term, as i stated selective breeding is necesarily deletion what long term damage to the breed by having such a narrow geno-type, it is unnatural (which all dogs are duh) but if the geno-type is narrow then destruction of the species usually looms closer and closer. most of our genes are junk genes as a result of evolution (sorry creationists, not so perefect after all) that junk is necessary.

Last edited by x11; 05-04-2013 at 07:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-04-2013, 10:52 PM
Crowned Member

What are you talking about? All colors mixed together isn't white.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syaoransbear View Post
What are you talking about? All colors mixed together isn't white.
Well, that depends on whether we are talking about additive or substractive colour mixing
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 07:02 AM

Couldn't sleep and came across your post X11. Think I will take a stab at it. I understand your concept but I have to disagree with you completely. I believe selective breeding is neither a subtraction nor an addition rather a re-mixing of the primary colors.

To make my position I will keep your analogy of “all inclusive genotype” of wolf as being the color white “presence of all color”. Therefore selective breeding of wolves by humans have deleted genes to arrive at the domesticated dog (let’s say color green).

The reason I disagree with your analogy is the very nature of DNA. I would define your color white as the DNA not the genes! DNA is made of four chemicals adenine (A), guanine (G), cytosine (C), and thymine (T). These four chemicals make up all complex living organisms. The DNA structure or helix is what differentiates the different organisms let’s say humans vs a turtle.

Changes to the Helix structure or genes (mutations) by genetic defect other environmental factors ( i.e. radiation and etc) can ADD, and DELETE changes to the genes to a gene pool. Therefore, since helix of DNA can change you can’t say that future progeny is just deletion of genes. Rather, the helix can be arranged for argumentative purpose infinitely thus adding genes and de-emphasizing other genes recessive.

For example when you say wolf there are 6 different species of wolves with many sub-species. If there was 1 common ancestor to the wolves would you say that the Himalayan wolf has deleted genes from the Gray wolf? It is quite possible that mutations and environment has emphasized, possibly added genes thus differentiating species? Thus genes are just one characteristic of heredity make-up of DNA.

Sylar - GSD - DOB: 12/18/2012

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 07:11 AM
Banned

You must distinguish between colors of light and colors of pigment. In light, white is the presence of all colors. In pigments, white is the absence of all colors.
In light, black is the absence of all colors. In pigments, black is the presence of all colors.

Last edited by Pooky44; 05-05-2013 at 07:16 AM.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 11:14 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
the weak nerve fearful dog is closest to the wolf...
What makes you think so? I would guess the exact opposite to be true, that through natural selection, the weakest are eliminated. And not that I'm an expert on wolves, but I can't imagine the breeding alphas attaining that status within the pack - not with weak nerves.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 01:48 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by x11 View Post
the weak nerve fearful dog is closest to the wolf,
I think wolves would be considered naturally suspicious rather than weak nerved and fearful but I'm no expert on wolves.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 04:48 PM
Knighted Member

I disagree, because in essence you ARE breeding genetic mutations to an extent. The bracycephalic muzzle of many breeds (bulldogs, pugs, etc) is a mutation of the skull. Many things also change for a dog physically when domestication occurs.

For example, black is not a natural coloration of the grey wolf (or so I have read, it has been YEARS and years so I would want to read up on it again). It was through domestication that black occured and it is believe that domesticated canines breeding back into the wild population caused black to become a color seen in wild wolves.

Read up on the russian farm fox project if genetics and domestication interests you. This experiment over 40 years breed the calmest fox kits to the calmest kits in a controlled environment, and it showed that a wild silver fox could be DOMESTICATED in 14 generations. Not tamed but actual domestication. As the foxes became domesticated physical and temperament changes were noted - odd coloration such as spotting and white points, curled tails, floppy ears, blazes and stars. They also began to bark which wild foxes do not do. I would easily argue that these changes are genetic mutations

~Emergency Vet Tech

Berlin vom Spartanville, BH, OB1 1/13/13
Zeke
'07 - '15
Luther
'08 - '12

"Make sure my shepherd dog remains a working dog, for I have struggled all my life long for that aim." - Max Von Stephanitz
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
x11
Banned

and what is the mechanism causing these mutations? given in my understanding a mutation is a mispairing of broken chemical bonds on the genes, eg radiation damage, so i am not inclined to go with that?

look at dogs n garbage piles in third world countries, even with geographic isolatio the dogs all end up looking kinda the same.

like nature is a magnet working against selective breeding bringing a dog back to the same primal form (which is not a wolf).
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 05-05-2013, 07:32 PM
Crowned Member

Too much X-men, isn't it?

Sorry x11, but your theory is wrong from the very beginning, it would be impossible to explain why without going back to Mendel and 7th grade biology and I don't have that much time.

A couple of things that screeched too loudly.

Mutations are a natural part of genetics, you can read more about here to understand better: What is a gene mutation and how do mutations occur? - Genetics Home Reference

With the recent theories, dogs are not a human creation. Dogs created themselves because it was beneficial for them, not for us. Very later in their developing we learned how to use them in our advantage, so dogs ARE natural, what we have done with them on the last century... not that much.

I highly recommend you to read the first chapters of this book, The history from wolf to dog is nicely explained: Dog Sense

Diabla Boroluz, my Daemon; IPO-A1, RH-T A
Akela de Poputchik, my Direwolf; IPO-2, Kkl1
Calais vom Adler Stein; IPO-A1, Kkl1

Last edited by Catu; 05-05-2013 at 07:41 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page