OFA or PennHip? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 04:51 PM Thread Starter

OFA or PennHip?

I'm just wondering, but do people prefer to see OFA certifications or PennHip certifications on the breeding dogs? I recently read an article that gave specifics as to why PennHip is better and the procedure they use gives you a much better and thorough idea as to the actual laxity of the dog's hips. Are there a lot of breeders that do PennHip? Or is OFA the general most accepted hip certification method? Would you still buy from a breeder that did PennHip certs instead of OFA certs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 06:58 PM

I use OFA, which is cheaper and gives me a better idea of how the hips and elbows are. Most people seem to use OFA, but many people would still buy from a breeder using PennHip. OFA seems to be less complicated to me, but that is just my opinion.
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM
Knighted Member

As a purchaser.... I like to see OFA. One because of the age (2+), I don't like when xrays are done too early on the breeding pair. I like to know the dog was grown and mature and what ratings they had then. It's more universally understood in my experiences with other dog owners/breeders/trainers. I would still possibly consider with Pennhip... but, I would really need to trust the breeder and know they are trustworthy and the health of the previous litters is good.

I'm not a breeder, so I don't have an opinion on that side. When my family raised and showed golden retrievers, they were OFA'd.... though I was too young to thoroughly understand the ins and outs of what they did and why.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-27-2013, 11:30 PM
Doc
Knighted Member

PennHIP is a better procedure and more reliable than OFA. More x-rays are done, each breed has its own set of numbers, and PennHIP is a better predictor of long term joint issues. OFA is a very inaccurate rating based on subjective readings of 3 radiologist. Of the three readings, the gets the lowest reading. In other words, if your dog is rated good by two readers and fair by the third, the dog is rated as Fair. Likewise, if the dog has two Fair ratings and one dysplasic, the dog is rated as dysplasic. PennHIP rating is based on measurements and numbers, not someone's opinion.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 12:02 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc View Post
PennHIP is a better procedure and more reliable than OFA. More x-rays are done, each breed has its own set of numbers, and PennHIP is a better predictor of long term joint issues. OFA is a very inaccurate rating based on subjective readings of 3 radiologist. Of the three readings, the gets the lowest reading. In other words, if your dog is rated good by two readers and fair by the third, the dog is rated as Fair. Likewise, if the dog has two Fair ratings and one dysplasic, the dog is rated as dysplasic. PennHIP rating is based on measurements and numbers, not someone's opinion.
Did some research on PennHIP today... it's not really what I thought, and what was explained to be previously. This is pretty much what I saw today. In those terms.... it changes my mind a little. However, I still think OFA is more recognizable and universally understood. Not many know of PennHIP... especially the average dog owner. Not that, that makes it better or worse.... just what most will recognize and use toward their decisions.

Alyssa
-Zira (01/09/11)
-Pakros von Jagenstadt "Duke" (01/06/10) -CGC
-Storm vom EnZ (05/16/12)
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 02:26 AM
Crowned Member

Send a message via AIM to Xeph Send a message via Yahoo to Xeph
Quote:
In other words, if your dog is rated good by two readers and fair by the third, the dog is rated as Fair.
Since when (honest question)? I was always told if two radiologists said good and the third said fair, the dog was good

ETA: http://www.offa.org/hd_grades.html

Apparently what I stated was correct

Jackie and the
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(and one cat)

Strauss: The Patriarch
Wesson: The Grand Champion
Mikasa: The Hellbeast
Soul Eater: The Moon and Stars Dog

Last edited by Xeph; 02-28-2013 at 02:32 AM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:09 AM
Doc
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeph View Post
Since when (honest question)? I was always told if two radiologists said good and the third said fair, the dog was good

ETA: Orthopedic Foundation for Animals: Hip Dysplasia

Apparently what I stated was correct
I stand corrected. Thanks for the information.
I would rather rate a dogs hips using actually measurements and numbers rather than a human eye deciding. But that is the scientist in me. IMO, the PennHIP procedure was created to address the shortcomings of the OFA process. As such, the subjectivity of the OFA is taken out and replaced by actual mathematical measurements resulting in an objective evaluation of the hips. In addition, all results of a PennHIP rating are included in their data base and used to compare your results leading to a quantifiable, objective rating. Subsequently, IMO, a much more accurate rating based on scientific measurements taking the human element out of the equation.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Crowned Member

They both serve a purpose of giving an outward expression of the hip status. The OFA is probably more valuable to buyers and some breeders whose primary clientele is the public....Pennhipp is more used by breeders that want a stronger long range prediction of joint laxity. For breeders radiographs are essential for breeding decisions, for owners OFA is often a sense of security for the future of their individual dog. Jmo
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 09:22 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

And far better is to also look at the data on not just the parents but their littermates, their parents, their parent's littermates, etc. Depth and breadth of pedigree, aka genetics.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 02-28-2013, 10:37 AM
Knighted Member

OFA is easy to understand for the average pet buyer. PennHip is probably more valuable for someone wanting a detailed analysis of the hips. I really don't care which is used as long as the hips are evaluated prior to making a breeding decision.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page