What Do Breeders Do With Returned Dogs - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

What Do Breeders Do With Returned Dogs

There is a thread about someone who returned a fear aggressive dog to her breeder. The breeder informed her the dog was to be euthanised for a different health issue.

The thread made me realize that a lot of returned pups or dogs are probably euthanized.

Why would a breeder want to deal with the health or temperament issues the animal was returned for. Especially temperament issue.

I doubt many breeders would want to keep and work with a genetically fearful dog. They wouldn't want an extra dog and if it had been returned once they surely wouldn't want to pass it along.

I can't even say if it's right or wrong but I'll bet it happens a lot more than most would care to guess.

People fall in love with their dogs so quickly that some dogs that probably should be returned are not.

Just wonder how these dogs are dealt with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Elite Member

When i got Dia, i was told that if i ever could not keep her she would be required by contract to go back to melinda. knowing the person melinda is, i know she would keep her until she could be rehomed... but i would never give up my baby! i would rather live in a car than lose her.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Mar 19, 2011

Prince vom Gildaf "Charles" August 16, 2012
post #3 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:38 PM

I know quite a few breeders (different breeds) who have taken dogs back for whatever reason, and honestly not one of them put the dogs down, they either kept them or placed them .

Hopefully they do whats in the best interest of the dog .

Diane
Ozzie vom Kleinen Hain
Danger Danger vom Kleinen Hain aka Masi
Tranquillo's Kizzy
Jakoda's Kholee
"Angel" Jakoda's Bewitchen Sami CD OA OAJ OAC NGC OJC RS-O GS-N JS-O TT HIC CGC
"Angel" Steinwald's Four x Four CGC HIC TT
"Angel" Harmonyhill's Hy Jynx NA NAJ NAC NJC RS-N JS-N HIC
"Angel" Jakoda's Jagged Edge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:42 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Halo's breeder has taken back a couple of dogs, and she keeps them as long as necessary until she finds the right home for them.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #5 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I think it would be difficult for a breeder to find someone who wants a dog that was returned because of genetically based fearfulness or severe hip dysplasia for example.

It's a lot different if someone is returning an otherwise o.k. dog because of some situation in their own life.

People seek out reputable breeders and pay more to try to avoid those issues.

Last edited by Jack's Dad; 05-01-2012 at 05:45 PM. Reason: ETA
post #6 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:48 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

True, but sometimes "temperament issues" really aren't, it's just that the person wasn't quite as prepared as they (or the breeder) thought they were for a GSD in general, or for that particular dog.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
post #7 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:52 PM
Knighted Member

Koda was returned to the breeder at 5 months, the breeder did the prelim xray for hips and elbow and then Koda was shipped to me.

In our case, there was no problem with Koda but it was for personal reasons I can't say here.

PSA- PDC
Rest in Peace my boys
Zeus 2000-2009
Odin 2010-2011
post #8 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 05:56 PM
Knighted Member

From what I've seen, dogs with severe health issues like hip/elbow/DM/deforming overbites/heart murmurs and so on are put down.
1: who wants to take on a dog with a crippling disease when there are plenty of very healthy dogs with no homes?
2: it's unethical to place this burden on someone else. As a breeder, you owe it to give this animal a proper end. You brought him into this world, you should help him exit in a dignified manner.

Temperament/nerve issues are sometimes trained and rehomed if the issues are fixable. We had a pup with severe fear issues, one of the guys took the pup for a month, it came back like a new dog. It wasn't the pup, it was his old owner. Now this pup has a great home with a family that truly fits him.

Severe temperament issues are put down. Sometimes the breeders keep them. Older dogs (returned due to unforeseen circumstances but are good dogs) that are returned are sometimes rehomed or live out their lives with the breeder.

Ash

post #9 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Elite Member

I know my breeder took back a pup from Amaretto's litter, and was/is keeping her until a good home can be found.

My contract also states if for any reason I don't want Puppy anymore, she is to go directly back to the breeder. I've been given this offer for temperament, fit, and health.

I think reputable breeders would have no issues taking back one of their dogs and housing it until a new home can be found or the issue can be properly addressed. Most breeders have housing set up so that they can house multiple dogs, and one more usually isn't going to be a deal breaker.

But I agree with putting down returned dogs for severe temperament and health. I think good breeders have the responsibility not to pass the problem onto someone else and controlling the outcome of the situation.

-Adventures and Dog Product Reviews-
post #10 of 87 (permalink) Old 05-01-2012, 06:03 PM
Crowned Member

My dog Aiden was returned to the breeder at 4 months old because of "temperament issues." Really, the owner was just in over her head with a GSD and neglected him, resulting in his issues. I then adopted him through the breeder at 5 months and wouldn't ever consider giving him up! After lots of hard work and socialization, he is truly an amazing dog.

On the other hand, a woman in my Schutzhund club had a puppy that showed serious agression from 12 weeks old. He had no triggers and would attack anyone at any time for any reason. The same behaviors were also seen in two of his littermates. After months and months of discussing with the options, the owner and breeder both decided it would be in the pup's best interest to be humanely euthanized. He was too unstable and unpredictable to be placed with anyone where he wouldn't be capable of seriously hurting someone..

Sometimes you really don't have any other options...

Feuergarten German Shepherds

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page