Temperment of long haired shepherds - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:08 PM Thread Starter

Temperment of long haired shepherds

Is there any truth when people say that long haired shepherds have better temperaments than short haired shepherds, training aside?

Aero (WGSL) - 9 years old
Maximilian (EGWL) - 26 months old
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:11 PM
Crowned Member

I'm not an expert, but I don't think that is a fact lol. My first was longhaired, and he had to be taken out of police training because he did not want to release on command. My second and the one I have now both had/have short/plush coats. And about the same temperament (just less drive).

Kymmey
Mom To~ Dakoda (b/t GSD), Acheron (black GSD)
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:15 PM
Crowned Member

Out of 3 gsds I've owned, my long coated I have now has the best temperament, so in my experience, yes. But I've never heard that before so I'm thinking it's just the dog
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 02:35 PM
Elite Member

I've only had a GSD/Husky mix and a PB long coat GSD. I don't know for sure if there is a difference, but Scarlett is a much cuddlier, snugglier, attached to her peeps dog than our previous dog. Can't say if it's the coat length or not...I suspect not. She's just a different dog.

Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:14 PM
Elite Member

Depends on what you are looking for and consider good temperament. I have had only one long coated GSD. She was beautiful, large, and heavy boned but way too mild and low energy for me. I would be hesitant to own another. Rumor has it she is typical of long coats. I don't know.
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:34 PM
Knighted Member

Hmmm. IMHO I don't see how that would make a difference. It seems more likely that the dog that carried the LH gene just happened to have a particular temperament. I have a LH and while he is not crazy he has plenty of drive. I would most definitely not call him lazy. He has an excellent temperament, and certainly can go go go if I want him to. Last night was his first time at a county park for my son's baseball game and while he was very well- behaved, the plethora of balls being hit (baseballs, tennis, soccer, and basketballs) just about drove him to distraction. He did end up catching a foul ball for my son's team, LOL

Last edited by RocketDog; 04-25-2012 at 06:38 PM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 06:52 PM
Elite Member

I have also heard that LCs are known for heavier bone. I don't know, but it would be interesting to know if there is something to it.

To go off topic, I have also read where high tail sets and reverse masks were linked to aggression.

I don't know.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:01 PM
Elite Member

Absolutely!!!! 100% better temperament and better bone I have an LC too that I adore.

I've been told these same things loads of times but I have no reason to believe that is so. His half-brother lives with me as well and he is a stock coat and is just as pleasant to be around. Less bone though but he's enormous so that is hard to compare. I have a friend with two GSDs that I spend a LOT of time with, one workingline and one showline and they are pleasant as well. Hm, I think they have less bone too - Lies? Thoughts?

I've also been told the better head shape comes with the LC's but I am not real fond of Kastle's profile at this age, hoping it heavy's up some.
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Elite Member

When you speak of "heavy bone" are you referring to their weight or the actual thickness/density of their bone structure? Scarlett is definitely tall (27") and LONG backed with HUGE feet. She weighs 76 lbs now, but is certainly not fat. Her bone structure doesn't seem heavy to us, but what do I know? Seriously, we do know she is really big for a female shepherd, but not in the same class as the really heavy males. She's kind of big, but dainty.

Scarlett WGSD 2/07 CGC TDI(retired)
Paige Husky/GSD mix 2/95-12/08

If you are going through hades, keep going!
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-25-2012, 07:08 PM
Elite Member

Heavy bone, as a female with the heavy bone structure of a male, not height or weight, per se. I guess weight could be more because the bones are bigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page